[Plae] AV Turret

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MasonSTL, Feb 27, 2014.

1. MasonSTL

Matt Higby has said in the most resent Command Center that the MANA AV Turret they don't "have a solid, solid plan."

The other day I was at a large battle at a tech plant (I think Makala) and we were being decimated by MANA AV turrets, NOT AV phalanx, but MANA. The MANA turrets where positioned by the downed phalanx, on the gun deck, and they were destroying our armor.

I went Infil to try take them out.

At 198 meters THEY DID NOT RENDER. I was sniping from one of the shield gens, (cant remember if it was vertical or not, the one closest to the vehicle spawn) I would have taken a screen shot but guess what killed me....

Just today I did the same thing at The Bastion. The enemy was in the hills next to the closest comms tower and I could see where they where launching, but even with a Phoenix, the enemy nor the turret would render even after the rocket reached where the turret should have been rendering... that's within 300 meters!

This HAS to stop!

The AV MANA was a band aid for the inadequacy of defensive preparedness players would see in the HEX system and it is NOT needed in the lattice.

With the lattice the MANA AV turret should be a three barreled Basilisk, basically a vehicle basilisk and a half. This would nullify the problems with the render distance of the missile and would be a boost of the effectiveness over a standard 2 barrel basilisk, within the same distance (maybe a bit further with 3 barrels). That is more than effective at AT for it's role.

In large, and I mean large 2 vs 3 platoon battles, the AV turret is not a good thing as the server determines the render distance of players for efficiency. So having a weapon that is only effective at about 150 meters is perfect ESPECIALLY with the lattice.

For the love of beer consider this change!
    • Up x 6
  2. LibertyRevolution

I would take a triple barrel basilisk turret in a heartbeat!
    Do you know how dangerous a dual basilisk sunderer is? It will kill most tanks.
    Now imagine having 5-10 triple barrel basilisks shooting at you from outside render..
    Imagine the tears, we could fill that dry seabed on indar with them.
    • Up x 2
  3. MasonSTL

When have you seen a basilisk effectively take out any vehicle from out side of infantry render? Even a duel basilisk.

EDIT: I'm taking about the same cone of fire that the current one has, mind you.
  4. MasonSTL

Imagine what 5-10 current AV MANA turrets can do outside of render distance....
  5. LibertyRevolution

Yes I do.
    I was with a group of 20+ sunderers just driving around esamir with dual basilisks destroying any vehicle that came into render.
    Tanks, gals, sunderers, libs, everything died in under 5secs. IT WAS GLORIOUS!!!

Teamwork is OP..
    • Up x 1
  6. MasonSTL

Major difference is: you where in a mobile sunderer...

Do you think a basilisk is better than a AV turret?
    Do you think a stationary 1 1/2 basilisk turret would be worse than the current AV MANA?

EDIT: maybe whoosh on my part?? I really can't tell.
  7. LibertyRevolution

It is all about line of site. If I can keep nailing you with a basilisk the DPS is good.
    You can break LOS from a basilisk easier than you can with the current AV turret.
    AV turret you can make that go over a rock then come down on the target that is behind cover.
    If its something like attacking quartz ridge or indar ex, your pretty much dead either way..

I would still trade my AV turret for a basilisk on a stick, it would be a direct upgrade to the AI mana turret.
    You give up sustained DPS and the ability to lock down doors with a constant stream of bullets if you carry your AV turret.
  8. HmmOkay

I'm not really buying your story. If you plant your av-turret next to the phalanx turrets, you can't hit jack because you can't really aim down with it.

Also, av-turrets render fine for me, far beyond infantery render range.
    In 48+vs48+ turrets are suicide because:
    - infiltrators everywhere
    - one-shot by any explosive (except maybe single rocketpod/grenade)
    - one-shot by counter av-turrets
    - you become a high priority target immediatly
    - you should render beyond normal infantery renderrange

So far, I cannot remember the last time I died to an av-turret as a tank. I do agree the one-shot vs. infantery is pretty powerfull, but also quite hard.
    If you die to av-turrets as tank, you're doing it wrong. Sorry. (not talking about av nests, they decimate your tank regardless of av weapon)
  9. MasonSTL

Could you hit a tank with as much power from 900 meters with a basilisk as you could with a 1 1/2 basilisk?
  10. MasonSTL

My whole thread is about OVER 2 platoon v 3 platoon... so those turrets DO NOT RENDER. If you can prove me wrong with the same type of battle (2 platoons vs 3 platoons) I will change my statement, but until then.
    • Up x 1
  11. MasonSTL

It's cone of fire isn't as tight as the AI MANA especially in full auto, the bullet drop is much more than the AI, and it's bullet velocity is much less... though I do see where you are coming from, I think.

All in all still less broken than the current AV turret.

they could also adjust the AI effectiveness of it too to suit your concerns
    • Up x 1
  12. HmmOkay

so you want to nerf the av turret because the game cannot render it (for you)? hmmmokay..
    making it a basilisk will not make them render any better.. might as well go to the core of the problem and ask for better rendering overall..
    you solution is not really a solution since it does not address the core of it..

to me it seems: buthurt because turrets, nerf them because they dont render - which is entire different discussion.
    also, if you as sniper got killed, but you cannot see him, i'd say the problem's on your end (not saying its therefore unimportant!).
  13. Pyrode

Right on the head.

The fact is if the CPU isn't rendering the turrets it also wouldn't render tanks, sundies or whatever at that range.
    Would also like to know how the OP was able to tell how far away these mana's were if they weren't actually rendering....

Anyway a 3 gun basilisk would be aweful.

I want something that's accurate and fast, like a vektor or (at a push) a drake.

Also a sundy may be able to take on a tank but it has it's own tanking power and mobility.

Give the AV gun mana version a shield like the AI one and i'd be fine with it (because the fact is the second a tank gets hit by something it swivels it's turret and fires, with the current AV mana, if you're actually rendering, this is a death sentence).

Also the OP is delusional if he really thinks 150m effective range is enough for an AT weapon.
    • Up x 1
  14. Frosty The Pyro

A basilisk(and a half) on a stick wouldn't be a good idea, because its AI power would be comparable, if not superior, to the AI mana turret.

On the other hand, changing the AV mana turret to be basicly a falcon, raven, or fracture on a stick would be good options (comets and vortex would be nice too, but they are too empire specific in fealing to work as a common pool AV turret, pounders would be great but short range and no mobility would have some issues)
    • Up x 1
  15. Klypto

I wouldn't be so upset with this game if things that hit me instantly rendered.

The rest of the world could become invisible to me, it doesn't matter, what is hitting me at long range takes priority.
  16. DeadlyPeanutt

nerf effective range of AV turrets and you make them worthless. One hit kills for snipers and tanks. they are death traps as is, most of the times i get behind the turret as an engie main, i get sniped by a sniper who somehow sees me.

nerf these turrets, refund players for making their turrets worthless.

all because of tanker tears, which has changed the game into a tank spam fest...
  17. deggy

They nerfed HE rounds, can I have my certs back for those?

No?

Maybe when players buy something broken they accept that it can and should be fixed.
  18. z1967

I like the idea of a fracture on a stick. Faction colored rockets would look pretty epic too. Just adjust some stats so it would be more like dual fractures (DPS wise) as opposed to just one fracture. Or dual falcons would be cool too (or whatever the dumbfire one is called). But faction specific rocket colors are a must.
  19. Frosty The Pyro

no, duel max AV has VERY high dps.

as an example the current AV turret starts at decimator dps (333) and then progresses up to 444 dps when you max out its certs.

a single fracture rocks 315 (334 if you use short reload) dps, with duel fracturs at 630. We do not want to be massively boosting the AV turrets dps like that. Frankly taking a slight dps hit is not something I would be opposed to, in my opinion the AV dps of a single free unit should not excede 400ish at absolut max, and should likely hover in the 200-350 range on average.

a single fracture (on a stick) with upgrades to increase rockets fired before reload (fracture has a non-reload adjusted dps of 420) would be solid.

for additional reference
    a lock on rocket has about 200 dps in lock on mode.
    max charge lancer and lock on rockets in dumbfire mode have ~270 AV dps
    stock dumbfire is 309
  20. MarkAntony

Wrong. Oh so very wrong.

And he was able to tell because you can see the missiles coming out of nowhere (like literally appearing out of thin air) so you know exactly where they are.