[Pic] Current Lattice System

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Stealth1, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Eugenitor

But why are you going around the same few territories, if not because of real resistance? The hex/influence system prohibits completely influence-less caps. If one territory's got too many annoying ghosts and squads attacking it, why not use your forces to cap everything around it? I've seen NC do this on Connery before, and it was brutal. They had us outnumbered 7 to 1, but it wasn't the usual 666 slow zerg where everybody just flies around uncontested bases in Reavers and Libs waiting for one base at a time to cap. These guys wanted the continent, and they got it. Even if they do have a territory back there, If you force your front line forward, back-capping becomes a lot more difficult due to the way influence works.

Especially the enemy's- love it when I have whole squads chasing after me because they haven't figured out economy of force. What I really enjoy is, for example, managing to ghost a path to TI Alloys and The Crown (which aren't always well-defended on Connery). Then I start flipping points on one or both, causing NC and/or TR to wig out and, unless they've called a formal truce, trolling them into fighting each other while my empire grabs everything north of Quartz Ridge and Rashnu. Especially if we already have cont lock.

And this is what I don't get- you can't find enough of those now? You really can't carve a path to Allatum and give the NC what for? Or does everyone just melt away the moment they see you coming, because they simply don't want to play with you, so the solution is to give them no other choice? Even if the devs do put this territory railroad in place, they can't force anyone to get on the train.

Let me know when you hear "We've got the lattice, where IS everybody?!" in platoon chat.
  2. McFatal

Because we usually have larger goals in mind, we don't try to cap continents as much as we try to find big fights, we usually carve paths close to the enemy warpgate so sometimes our main force is pushing and one or two squads is on ghost cap duty, as in, prevent the ghost caps. It doesn't happen that often to be honest, but it does happen sometimes, even though it's worth doing it just feels like a waste of time. Feels like we're missing out when we have to deal with it.

Sounds like a hoot!

That's the problem, the fight at Allatum doesn't appeal to us. Biofarms are for cert farmers, and the fight there is rather boring because the battle tactics mentioned earlier are severely limited to max crashes and light assault rushes. We enjoy fights that include everything, I love the chaos of a big force clashing with another, outside. In Allatum it's just a mess of grenade spam and shotguns, I like the outside combat of outposts and Amp stations, tech plants too even.

As far as everyone melting away the moment they see us coming, well, the reason I didn't mention this before is because usually when somebody says "Enclave" it starts drama even if it's mentioned in the most civil fashion. But yes, I'm in The Enclave, and we often have people just leave as soon as we fight them. Even though the experiences of the test server are severely underpopulated, we did experience taking a base, heading out to the next one and being engaged on the way by players who we just beat at the first base. The lattice worked as planned, they set up defenses for us and we had to break them. They were a small group to begin with so it wasn't as fun as it could have been, but they did ambush our sundies with lancers so we resorted to the good ole feet to get us there.

I mean, the bigger outfits on the VS and NC side of things will challenge us and give us a good fight sometimes but I suppose it's only natural for us to want lattice to breed more big fights.
  3. Eugenitor

Yeah, I figured that on your first post.

The thing is, the fights you're having now are fundamentally artificial. Pretty much any outfit you find on the test server is going to give you the kind of fight you want, because they're there for the same thing. Even if the test server was hexes, you'd still be having those kinds of fights if it was populated by the same kinds of people.
    • Up x 1
  4. VSMars

There's one caveat to it: Those bases can provide you with convenient vehicle spawn points, even if they lie on a "parallel" lane not directly under your influence. Send an Infiltrator or two, let them hack everything hackable, spawn an AMS Sunderer and you've got yourself a new spawn point and angle of attack on the lane you're actually got any kind of connectivity to.

Since the map layout is rather temporary right now, there's little point looking for opportunities to do such, but in the end product I fully expect people hacking something like Ayani Labs to get a spawn point to attack at the direct Hvar-Allatum lane.
  5. McFatal

But isn't lattice also part of a deeper mechanic? Won't it be used to connect the continents later on? I mean right now obviously we don't have enough continents, but later on don't you think that lattice will be used to connect one warpgate to another one on another continent?
  6. SolLeks

as part of a small outfit, it normally takes about a platoon of enemys to beat our squad back due to how we work together. We are also in an alliance and if we (or they) need help, we can always call for it from likeminded outfits.
  7. Being@RT

I quite like the strategy of attacking the enemy where they aren't (or threatening to attack multiple places), so that the numerically superior enemy has to either split up or lose the area(s) they didn't protect. And in case they split up, you are to bring all your troops to bear on that location, splitting up afterwards to threaten multiple areas again. Obviously requires better organization than the enemy, but that's what smaller groups achieve easier.

Lanes limit that quite a lot. But then again the game isn't suited for that very well in the beginning, what with fast travel times, teleportation etc. And of course immortal soldiers kinda take the edge off the attrition of enemy forces.

Kind of basic strategy really, but it's one of the few things outnumbered forces can do. If it's made more difficult, then numbers gain even more power. And as someone noted earlier.. if the larger force is as organized, they win. Your standard zerg comprised of random players would be beaten this way at least.
  8. Ash87

Look, large or small outfits, we need to find something that accomidates both groups. Eugenitor's notion of adding in passive cert gain to people standing in territory held by their faction would encourage people to move into those areas, and might dillute the zerg somewhat, but it wont kill it. It wont break up larger outfits, because larger outfits have the strength of numbers, and the better record of taking territories to back them up. A zerg will overwhelm a smaller force, and provide a morale boost to it's people regularly, they are in no danger here.

The only caveat I would add in, is that the territories in which you receive XP for standing in defense should be direction bordering, or bordering a territory directly bordering, enemy territory. That way People spread out along the "line" that is formed by your faction's territory and the enemy faction's territory. And the XP should be capped at the XP one gets for capturing that territory. And, once the line moves up the lane, once you are no longer 1-2 territories Back from the front, you no longer Recieve XP.

This would put some kind of presence in Each territory on the map near the Front line. Zergs would be somewhat Dilluted from the loss of Pubs, who will likely just go stand on defense, and you might actually get groups smaller than platoons fighting at locations.

Dropping adjacency from the equation at -that- point might make some sense. That would have to be tested.
  9. Eugenitor

You don't need lattice for that. Facility: Indar-Amerish Warpgate. Function: Allows units to appear at Amerish-Indar Warpgate. Of course, if you don't control Amerish-Indar on the other side, it's a one-way trip. Just consider the two warpgate ends to be adjacent to each other by 33% or something.
  10. John Smith

I'm really happy that they are going to implement this lattice system. Lot's of times when I'm playing I simply cannot find any decent fights. By decent I mean fights that do not involve camping the spawn, unbalanced fights, tiny skirmishes, pillow fights, etc. I want da big fites. Can't find em most of the time. Now i'll be able t0. I say, GG SOE. XD
    • Up x 1
  11. slorch the first

NO I do not want my FPS turing into a MOBA ...NO NO NO NO NO
    • Up x 1
  12. xen3000

How the hell would Planetside 2 ever end up being a MOBA? I look forward to the implementation of the lattice system.
  13. MaCritz

I have to agree with you.. I hate the fact that players just lose morale so easily once they see a mini-zerg.. I would stay on and defend the base till the bitter end... I mean, come on, you join Planetside 2 to find a good fight and once you do, you flee faster than the wind... WTF!! Usually, I would beg people to stay on and fight but no, I would always end up alone as they fly to another continents where they can roam freely and bully smaller outfits... Pfftt... Pathetic... I would love to fight outfits like the Enclave and teabag them once we defeat them.. But how could I do that with cowards around me?? This video is a fine example of what I'm trying to say... You may fight and you may lose, but do it with dignity... There's a reason why Buzz calls other outfits "Bad,Bad,Bad!!" in the most annoying way known to man.. It's because they are bad...

Perhaps this new lattice system could provide some courage for cowards to fight... Fingers crossed!!

• Up x 1