Phaseshift Sniper Build

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Icehole1999, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Icehole1999

So for a change of pace, I’m going to cert out a VS Infiltrator loadout centered around the Phaseshift. I’ve been doing a lot of practice in the VR landing quick headshots, not really “quick scoping”, just making sure the gun is pointed as close as possible to the enemy before ADS, and only making small adjustments to land the OHK.

Even though there are other OHK sniper rifles in the VS arsenal, I’m going with the Phaseshift as it doesn’t require ammo.

I will be using this loadout for both CQC and traditional long range sniping.

What I’ve thought thus far:

Hunter cloak rather than NA cloak, for the increased duration of the ability. In close quarters I’ll be targeting individual players, and shouldn’t need the additional protection as long as I don’t overextend myself.

EMP for the grenade slot.

Medkits

Max rank Nanoweave

For implants most likely Catlike (once I get it on VS) and Target Focus (for those really long distance shots)

Does anyone run a similar setup, or have something different that also works?

I also have a completely obnoxious cosmetic/camo combo picked out for the class, as that’s what my kid says is one of the most important parts to playing this class.
  2. Eternaloptimist

When I run regular sniper (BASR or SASR) the only difference in my load out is that I run Ammo Printer implant (I don't have Catlike) and Regen so that I can carry AP mines. I haven't tried the Phaseshift so IDK how it changes the tactical role.
    • Up x 1
  3. Moz

You don't really have the tools for CQC sniping with a Phaseshift, i would just forget about that right off he bat. If you want to combat snipe use the Ghost or the Daimyo.

With this in mind NWA is virtually useless! It doesn't protect you form headshots and in the event you do get ambushed it lets you take one more bullet,when you are going pistol vs main weapon this isn't really an advantage. Take extra nades or something instead.

Consider taking Target Focus and Regeneration so you can carry mines, then deploy these to try and catch sneekers coming up to you.

Also, there is an argument for NAC for sniping also as it will prevent OHK headshots from other snipers.
  4. Icehole1999

Moz, about the NWA, is it really that ineffective? 1-2 bullets even at max rank? God that sucks!

I have Target Focus and Regenerate. I haven’t used Regenerate yet. How quickly does it fill your health back up at level 5?

How good are Proxy Mines? I have claymores on a couple TR classes, but they seem very hit or miss.

Last question, the NAC works like the other cloaks, meaning no weapons use while cloak is active?
  5. Doc Jim

Yeah, nano armor cloak prevents firing while active. And holding melee will bring up the knife but you won't slash with it.

I myself use NAC over the hunter cloak on all my non-stalker loadouts, both for sniping and for close quarters. My reason for doing this is that the passive armor will always be there, while the limited duration isn't much of a hindrance if you rely less on the cloak for your approach and "save it" for when you really need it.
    I also use the auxiliary shield thingy to stack my armor instead of taking mines, but that's just me being me, I don't like mines in general. In my experience, the Vanu proxy mines can be relied upon to explode correctly, but that's about it.

Now for the Phaseshift itself, as it has no bulletdrop, you can safely equip it with a silencer, it does reduce the maximum 1hit range a bit, but I feel it's worth it. With the range being somewhat shorter than with other sniper weapons, I usually go with the Trigon8 sight because I like its aesthetics.

I dunno about using the Phaseshift in close quarters though. The headshot mode overheats if you fire twice back to back and the recoil is insane compared to other sniper weapons. And I wouldn't trust the semi-auto mode in close quarters either 'cause of the 6x sight. I really love the Phaseshift and have used it extensively, it's still fine at medium range but in close quarters I would rather switch to a sturdy secondary or replace the Phaseshift entirely with the Ghost.

#JustMy2Certs
    • Up x 1
  6. Icehole1999

Doc my thought with the Phaseshift was that you could get behind someone, hit them twice with hip fired body shots and finish up with a quick knife.

How far can you expect a OHK to still work with the suppressor equipped?
  7. That_One_Kane_Guy

I honestly think that the Phaseshift is one of the best Infiltrator weapons in the game.

I run mine with the default scope (6x), and a foregrip.
    The scope doesn't really need to be any larger magnification, your maximum range is about the same as a T1 Bolt Action and the lack of bullet drop is balanced by the lower velocity. The foregrip helps with the recoil.

For a secondary I just stick to the Beamer and a Laser Sight.
    I am going to heavily qualify the following statement by noting that my own multitasking capabilities hover somewhere around "Dead Mole Rat", so I usually end up sticking the thing into BA mode and just leaving it there. However there have been times when switching has saved my life so if you can manage your modes well, your pistol becomes less of an issue.
    The fact that you can turn your rifle into a Semi-Auto on demand means that you are not as helpless in CQC as most snipers are as long as you pay attention and don't panic. It is also helpful when your team needs to push a point and the extra firepower is more helpful than a pistol.

I don't use the NA cloak for pretty much the exact reasons you've outlined above.

I always use EMP on my infiltrator classes, its force multiplier potential is huge and has a lot of extra utility like finding stalkers without using a darklight or killing beacons in hard to reach places.

I use motion darts because I like being able to see the enemy, I like my team to see the enemy, and because I like free certs.

Haven't bothered maxing NW for any of my chars, 4 seems to be enough in most cases and I'm a cheap miser.

Always mines. One is good, two are better. They come in handy and allow you to prep a battlefield if you know you are about to be defending. Put them in places where enemies will run to when they start taking fire. If they don't see the mine, they die; if they do see it, the moment of hesitation to either shoot it or pick a different spot is sometimes all that is necessary.

For implants I usually use Regen and Battle Hardened, neither at max rank. Others might be better but I don't have very many and don't acquire new ones very often. That being said not having to hunt down an engie with this setup is one good perk but not having to run down a medic either is very convenient, and less screen shake to worry about is nice especially with the recoil you already have.
  8. Doc Jim

Ah ok, I guess that approach to cqc could actually work, I had assumed you were going to go for the close range headshot game.

1hit Range with a silencer is out to about 200m, give or take. It used to be around 185m or so back when the Phaseshift was a charge weapon, but with the changes to the firing modes, the 1hit range with the silencer was increased a bit. As I said, I believe it is now around 200m. I guess you could test it in the VR with the EOD HUD implant to get the exact number.
  9. Eternaloptimist

Max rank nanoweave reduces damage by 20% from infantry and vehicle weapons. So it depends on the weapon damage per bullet and the range it is fired from i.e. which damage tier applies, also protection from splash damage IIRC.

I carry a suppressed Spiker or Emissary for CQC. If or when I get better aim I'll run the Commissioner :).
  10. Moz

I know exactly what it does bud, that why i know its useless for a sniper.

NWA is a great piece of kit, in the correct engagement. Sniping is not one of these engagements though. SMG Infil, sure.

The ides of NWA for me is to give you that extra little edge in a closer fight, it lets you take an extra bullet before dying. This can be a massive advantage for someone using an auto weapon, and even seem required due to the amount of other people running it. It increases the time it takes to kill you.

Now apply that to a ranged sniper (applying this to your phaseshift build), your gun is OHK..... You should be:

Cloak > Aquire target > decloak > shoot > cloak > Move (never take a shot from the exact same spot twice).

This means you should NEVER be out of cloak for longer than it takes to pull the trigger (if you are you are straight up doing it wrong), you get cover to recharge your cloak. If some guy tries to sneek up on you and you see him coming, move away! You aren't equipped to fight a carbine. Or you can try and EMP / Commi him if you get the drop on him. If you DONT see him coming, NWA certainly isn't going to save you! Its just not what you need for sniping.

If you are going with a Ghost / Daimyo, there could be an argument for NWA, but i still wouldn't take it personally.

With the NAC thing, what you will find as you snipe is the biggest threat most of the time is other snipers. In my grind for the mooonshot i found that occasionally i would take my shot and recloak, just at that time a pesky sniper would take his shot and hit me in the head after i had cloaked. NAC will save you from dying like this, BUT it will give you much less uptime. It really depends on how badly you want to stay alive. If you are new to sniping and not quite down with the "dance" yet i would take NAC until you feel more comfortable then switch out at a later date. Once you get your dance nailed you become VERY difficult to hit even by another sniper once you are here take hunter for the extra up time.

Regen 5 is fast enough, its not like being healed by a medic but by the time you have your shied and cloak back you are well on the way to healed.
    • Up x 1
  11. Moz

This isn't going to work bud!
  12. Icehole1999

Moz i spent some time yesterday with my TR Infiltrator trying to practice my sneaky skills. I have all the goodies for that character. I still can’t get it right.

I have the M77 for that one, which shares the same 550 velocity as the Phaseshift. I put a suppressor on the M77, and omg, it’s awful. Bullet drop is ridiculous. I was having to aim 6 inches above an enemy at 200m just to land a hit. Up close the slow rechamber time kills you.

Now, I understand that the M77 is a BASR and the Phaseshift is a SASR, and that you can get a follow up shot off faster with a SASR. Plus the Phaseshift has no bullet drop.

But what my concern is, is that I probably should have taken the Ram 50 for TR, and should be looking at the Parralax for VS. Due to both these rifles having the 650 velocity. I was taking shots from a good position, normally from the side of or behind the enemy. So they didn’t know I was there, they’d move after I’d fired and I’d miss. It was like trying to hit a Magrider with a default RL. It was discouraging to say the least.

Insights?
  13. Moz

Suppressor.... Not even once! Well actually just once.... on your Phaseshift. The Phaseshift doesn't have bullet drop so you dont have to adjust aim as much for the reduced velocity.

Long range snipers should NEVER be using a Suppressor.

You are cloaking and moving straight after you shoot. So yes they can see a blip (if they are within a certain distance) but then you disappear and move so that blip is useless (if anything its misleading to your attacker).

Ditch the suppressor > Learn the cloak dance > Profit! :)

All the snipers are more than serviceable, save your certs and use the stock rifle to learn your trade.

I would suggest the Ghost (VS) or TSAR-42 (TR) should be the other option in your armory (they can equip scopes with no sway while retaining OHK headshots).
    • Up x 1
  14. That_One_Kane_Guy

^You should listen to this one, he speaks the truth.
    I will say that if you are going to learn to use a unique rifle like the Phaseshift or the Railjack it is a good idea not to use any of the other ones whilst you are doing so as it will confuse your muscle memory.
  15. Eternaloptimist

I wasn't talking to you, I was responding to Icehole and there is no need for the snide additions like "bud" as I was just stating facts. I've done a lot of sniping and I've survived with a sliver of health many times thanks to my nanoweave.
  16. Moz

I'm from the north of England, everyone is "bud" or "mate" to me! No jibe intended, its just the way i talk / type.... Its actually a friendly thing to say! :(
  17. Eternaloptimist

Oh, well I apologise for the misunderstanding then. I thought it was a dismissive Americanism. I've lived in the North East for a while and I'm familiar with mate, mara, bonny lad and (for the ladies) hinny and pet, but I hadn't come across bud until now.
  18. Moz

Its always bud, mate or pal where I'm from...... We have so many names for each other. :D
  19. Zak Preston

I really don't get what's wrong with me or Phaseshift: with V10 BASR my performance is much higher against moving targets, if feels so much more natural to me. Against standing targets it's trivial, but any moving ones hitting them is a nightmare. It feels like the Parallax bullet's hitbox is much smaller than other VS sniper rifles, including SASRs.

I still want to master Phaseshift because it's potential is immense, and perhaps these are my misplays.
  20. DIGGSAN0

Hi there! Sorry for the late answer, i recently started to play PS2 again :)
    As far as i can give you tips, i suggest you:

Phaseshift with:
    Supressor/Silencer
    Forward Grip
    6x-8x Scope

LowZoom because Semiautomode for closer range.
    For Long range (100-250m) is are these Scopes totally fine, the shots of the Phaseshift with Silencer are too slow for further range (exceot your targets are AFK)

As secondary I suggest the Commissioner, when you have been seen you do not care about beeing silent anymore so you want fast and precise secondaries. (Commie does fit well because it is a "Oh Sheeat" Weapon)

Hunter Cloak for longer Cloak.

Medikits, you are living long with infinite ammo so you got to have some health aswell.

Motion Spotter to detect incoming flanks to your Position.

Then there is the always good Armor.

As Implants I suggest you take Catlike and Battle hardened.
    (For other Sniper: Ammo Printer and Battle hardened)

This build is very versitaile and should fit you in almost every situation.

I wish you good hunting ;)
    • Up x 1