Personal Railjack Update

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Nephi1im, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Nephi1im

So, after forcing myself to give the railjack significant testing, about 300 kills, I was defending a base earlier and kind of had enough. I pulled a longshot for the first time since the railjack came out and....

I felt like a freaking sniping GOD. I almost forgot what it was like to bounce in and out of cover, hitting people, getting moving headshots over and over. Seriously, it was in a sense a wake up call. I immediately switched all my sniper layouts back.

I don't know how many of you have been playing with old BASRs and the railjack (like switching back and forth), but I was shocked by how much more efficient I was at all distances. To sum up the difference, I felt like half my railjack kills were sort of lucky shots if you will, while playing with the longshot tonight felt much more like confidently shooting and killing.

Also worth mentioning, the <200 meters sniping is just night and day. I realize that the railjack is intended as a "super range" gun, but returning to the feeling of instant killing with the longshot was a breath of fresh air. Follow up shots are VASTLY more efficient as well.

I just wanted to throw this out there for those of you who have been all railjack all the time testing. The perspective of going back is priceless. I don't believe I'm going to touch the thing again unless they change it honestly.
    • Up x 5
  2. HadesR

I've not ran with anything but the RJ so might give it a try.
  3. whitupiggu

Got a little over 100 kills with the railjack and don't see myself getting much more unless it changes. That delay just works against you too much at ranges less than 200m. Seems to me the people that actually like it are the useless snipers sitting near max render distance occasionally getting a kill. Although it got me in to sniping so I finally tried out the SAS-R. I think I'm in love.
  4. pnkdth

Obviously, since anyone who does well with this needs to L2P and use a weapon you like. *facepalm*

whitupiggu: Welcome to ignore. Google ad hominem and strawman fallacy.
    • Up x 1
  5. whitupiggu

If you are sitting outside of 200m you are useless.

If you have stats showing your mlg skills with the railjack feel free to post them.
  6. Vaphell

while i am not going to flame people who snipe from afar (no skin off my nose) , Failjack is outright terrible within 100m and sort of catches up above 200m (and i am being generous here) so assumption that you are sitting at 200-300m is justified.

Ever sniped under hail of bullets in the thick of the battle where you 'quickscope' and gib the dude in the very last moment on your last sliver of health with nearly instant BASR? FJ simply can't do that it's a passive weapon the loses the reflex based duels by default. You'll get mowed down before firing.
    FJ also damages sniping skills compatible with 4! other bolt action rifles (if not shooting skills in general) in order to make any use of it. It's a dead end weapon that doesn't translate to anything useful in other areas, with lower skill ceiling (you can't be faster than the delay allows, which means wasted opportunities and more passive play).

Some kind of miracle would have to happen to change my mind, eg Mustarde or Toro coming here and saying it's sooo awesome, but i don't see that happening ever.
  7. iller

Railjack would be fine if our personal infantry Render Range while scoped with it was was 400m
    (the only stuff that renders beyond ~300+ is Vehicles -- NO you can't change that number in settings, it's server-side).

I also question the common sense of anyone using longshot to snipe targets BELOW 150m (they can HEAR you and see you on Radar ... might as well just be going silenced SASR at that point)
    • Up x 1
  8. Nephi1im

Completely agree. There are folks who have fought me to the death in the numerous railjack threads I've commented in about this. I say the optimal sniping area is 150-225 meters (in terms of non-aggressive). Anything under that and you should probably be using something else, anything over and you just aren't killing efficiently.

Any one of the three BASR options is head and shoulders better than the railjack in that distance. I don't prefer it for the 225-300 range, though some people apparently do(because you have .2 seconds to keep aiming....?). Either way, I just don't see it as the best option. Maybe an equal option at max distance, but I'm vastly more efficient there with the longshot as well, so I see no reason to use it for a dubious advantage.
  9. Nephi1im

Honestly, most of the time I snipe is on defense, and until the opposing force is "storming the gates" I longshot it. As such, the hear/see on radar doesn't really matter, as usually there are 50 friendlies on radar as well. Once they're in, I switch to an SMG. I also generally only snipe in larger battles. Smaller stuff, I find that the mobility and "oh crap shoot him in the face" aspect of SMGs is better :p
  10. Donaldson Jones

I feel much the same going between the Phaseshift and the Parallax
    although the Phaseshift has it's uses
  11. Chazt

I haven't had a chance to use it that much yet but I have to say that I am pretty disappointed with the railjack to be completely honest. What is the point of having the highest velocity sniper if there is a massive delay between pulling the trigger and shot firing? If you wanted to balance the railjack appropriately I would say just give it a large delay between subsequent shots in order to make it powerful for accurate single target sniping, but not so much if you miss the head. You could even change up the description a bit to better explain the mechanic.

" The AF-8 "railjack" uses unique, highly damaging, high velocity ammunition that can be only used with the weapons integrated rail technology. While this allows the weapon to excel in making lightning fast fatal shots, it is also the largest downside as there is a significant delay between subsequent follow-up shots while the integrated superconductor cools and recharges."

In a nutshell, make it made for sniping. If you don't hit the head you will have to wait a little while before making a second attempt at the same target, effectively decreasing your overall combat effectiveness should you use it inaccurately but making it a deadly precision weapon in the hands of an experienced sniper.
  12. Nephi1im

Yea, I haven't played with the phaseshift outside of VR, but it seems average and quirky. Watched the reviews of it, and I could see it having uses, though not sure if it would fit my play style(s).

It's a little annoying because they were pitched as ESSRs, and the NC and VS got strange stuff that doesn't really do much of anything better than anything we already have, while the TR got something that is a completely new type of weapon. The phaseshift is probably better than the railjack, but that might just be like a turd vs a glittery turd.
  13. Nephi1im

Yea, the "dead of the night nerf" complaint has been gone over, but I loved the final iteration on test. If they really deemed that too strong, then just make it a super long delay/reload crazy fast rifle. Even with that, it still wouldn't be used <200 meters, but at least it would have a use.

On a side note, I completely retract all of my comments in threads regarding "mag size not mattering". You give a rifle, admittedly a weak one, 30% longer chamber AND one less round in the mag, it feels like you are constantly waiting to be able to fire. I found myself not taking " I might make it" shots because I didn't want to wait 10 seconds for another chance.
    • Up x 2
  14. Astraka

Good god I feel your pain. I really want to like this weapon, but it is one of the most frustrating weapons to use in the entire game. Not only does the delay completely screw over any chance I feel I have in shooting players that aren't standing still; but I have to reload constantly. I can't even say how many kills I've missed because of missing that one extra bullet.

Thank goodness for bad snipers and stationary shooters, otherwise I probably wouldn't have any kills with it at all.
  15. iller

Okay I'm ready to change my opinion after running out of Ammo on it quickly. The 4 ammo clip is NOTHING compared to the 10 it was last week. I hate it. But not having 60 total ammo is what kills it for me and I'm ready to mail Support for a damned Cert Refund attempt. This thing's now a downgrade to the Bolt Driver in every way possible. I give up.
  16. Chazt

I feel you, I was looking at all the talk about it on the test server and got it the first chance I got. However that delay they added at the last second seems to have nerfed it into oblivion. I wanted a high velocity sniper that would let me get good kills when I hit them in the head and punish me when I didn't, this new things is just awful to be honest. You have to take bullet drop/travel time into account with normal snipers, with the railjack they added the second delay before firing, but it still has the travel time/bullet drop to take into account. So now I have to worry about the delay on top of the normal calculations to hitting the target and that is just awful. Overall the longshot is superior in nearly every way.
  17. Goretzu

Yup, that's what it seems to be designed for......... but, of course, that isn't possible in PS2.
  18. pnkdth

Yepp, my suggestion would be doubling it to 8 rounds per magazine, as the delay is the trade off for 850m/s. Slow ROF and only 4 rounds with a looooooooooooooong reload, is too many cons.
  19. Nephi1im

When it had 10 rounds, it was better, but I think the fundamental idea of the delay is flawed. 8 rounds would make it better, but I still think it would be a novelty with little practical use.
  20. ISKNausicaa

I auraxed the Railjack, then started on my phase(250 kills) when I switched back to my parallax I had the same experience, it reminded me of running with a weighted backpack on then doing that first run without it.

Every time I ran into a Railjack user that didn't get the drop I knew that I would always have the upper hand in a sniping face off.

I love the Railjack and phase because of this they are both different and fun to use and have their own advantages, but most of all for the fact they made me a better sniper on my main gun by using them