Performance decrease since recent updates?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Magma52, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Magma52

I came back from a hiatus in February to find that the game ran very nicely in terms of performance. I don't remember my FPS dropping below 55 FPS even in the largest fights.

In the time since then, however, I suddenly found that it could drop to 40 FPS in large battles. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

My system:
    GTX 980
    i5 2500k @ 4.8 GHz (checked with Prime95 etc...it is a stable OC)
    8GB RAM.

All graphics set to minimum. Shadows off. 1080p resolution.

CPU is liquid cooled. Temps never go above 60 C. Just done a fresh install of Windows and GPU drivers. No antivirus running. Nothing uneccessary running in the background. Problem persists.

If I look in MSI afterburner during large battles I can see that my CPU usage is pretty high. It hits a max of about 95% and averages about 90% (during large battles). In small fights or in WG the CPU is much lower.

Does anyone have any tips? Maybe there is something that a previous update has done to the CPU usage?
  2. Pfundi

So you tell me that the biggest game on the planet manages to decrease your FPS into the 40s? Got it.
    Now wheres the performance problem?
    (They did change something a while back that gave most players that were CPU bound a little boost)
    By the way, just crank up the settings again, its your CPU that bottlenecks. You want that eye candy. Amd it will probably net you some extra frames (something about compressing higher res textures to display them as "low". It seems this procedure stresses the CPU)
  3. user101

I have this problem also.. warpgate 60-70 FPS on the field big fights ~40FPS Nothing fixes this.
    It looks like they slowed the TICK of the game down also. Just a little....most people would not notice it. But sunner move slower than they use to.
    Claymores and Mine are very bad at going off.... lots of lag. Server game engine is way out of sync with tables on this.
  4. Magma52

Well that's the thing, it was fine in February! Like User101 says, I think one of the recent updates has changed the way the engine runs.

Interesting. I will give it a go...but I recall trying this a while back and having no luck. Maybe it's worth another shot. What settings do you recommend I go for to even it out?
  5. Pfundi

Well I did set everything to 5 in the .ini (the settings above the ingame Ultra) and my CPU and GPU (R9 390 and Xeon E3 1231v3) are weaker than yours. I get ~40 as well when Vanu is at it again and 150 people are spamming purple glitter :D
    It has always been like this for me. But maybe there is something wrong and I didnt notice it. Are all 4 cores stressed equally when gaming?
  6. Magma52

OK, so I turned up the GPU bound settings and I think it has helped a little bit! Flora Quality, Shadow Quality, and Particles are CPU bound so they are all off. The mega battles don't look like slideshows now, so this is progress :)

The CPU usage still hits the mid 90s though...I will try and push the GPU further although I am unsure if this will just cause more problems. Am I right in saying that if the GPU usage is below 50% during FPS drops then it must be the CPU struggling?

In Fullscreen all 4 cores are equal, but in Windowed Fullscreen (remedies the stutter) core 1 is doing a LOT more. Odd. Anyone know if that is normal?

I want to edit the .ini file too, but it's being weird. It says texture quality is 0 when it is set to Ultra in game :/
  7. Pfundi

90% CPU usage is totally okay. When the game (and all other processes) demand this much power its good that your CPU delivers.
    Still even at 90% that CPU shouldnt be any problem (especially with that rather impressive overclock). Ever ran a benchmark with the CPU? Look for the power it actually delivers compared to other similar CPUs
    Regarding the GPU, thats normal. At 1080p my R9 390 rarely gets really stressed even with everything cranked up. If I remember correctly a R9 280X is enough for Ultra 60 FPS.
    You got a 980, thats a huge step up and you got some settings off, so no wonder the GPU isnt fully utilised.
    And now Im just guessing, but a damaged hard drive or RAM could also cause little frame drops or other issues.
    Oh and ignore Windowed mode, thats just Wondows screwing around with the settings.
    And 0 is the Ultra Value. .ini or .settings files just have random numbers in random order saying something. If 0 is the max and 3 is the lowest its just how it is.
  8. Lord_Mogul

I can confirm the CPU load the game manages to push.
    Over 95% are nothing rare in the really big fights.
    Going in the 40s and definitely not GPU limited isn't fun.
    And I can't see any reasonable way to increase my framerate significantly besides using liquid nitrogen :D
  9. AtckAtck

Yes! I have the same Problem.
    When I started playing planetside with the current PC the fps (without Vsync) would never go unter 140 fps.
    It has been getting constantly worse with every update. Now I often drop down into the 40-50 fps region in big fights.
    Also some effects are totally crippling the performance. Some explosions / fire from tank leftovers send the PC into stuttering (At really close range. You literally have to stand inside.)
    Getting hit Flak sometimes causes a big slowdown also.
    Also the Ping to the Servers are more ****** than ever before, sometimes 200+, but still marked as "good"...

My System:
    i7-4770k @ 4.5 Ghz. (I tested stock settings also, it's not the overclock.) Watercooled.
    32 GB 1866 Mhz Ram
    GTX 780 Ti
    Win 10
    Game on SSD
    All settings at maximum, no bloom, no blur. 1080p.
  10. Pfundi

140 FPS? Are you high?
  11. abigdeal

4790k at 4.5 wc 780ti same as op low fps in fights tried everything, gpu not even warming up