Performance and Optimization

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OneShadowWarrior, May 25, 2022.

1. OneShadowWarrior

I know the roadmap shows a clear path of new horizons, I also knew The Arsenal Update was a huge risk and step for Planetside, but long overdue. So many variables with weapons now, the combos seem limitless with weapons and so enjoyable. So many old players started to return, only to experience the latency issues across all servers, which really brings me to the topic.

I don’t think there is a single player old or new, that would contest performance improvements to the game. Is it much to ask for? To fix what has been long overdue on repairs? To cleanup some of the DX9 leftovers and get things more up to speed with DX11?

Better visual fidelity, improved sound, better anti aliasing technology choices, buttery smooth graphics, because honestly many of the diehard PS players have rigs far beyond the specs when PS2 was built, but it doesn’t seem to matter much if the game can’t optimize the use of what they have to offer. Nothing else matters if the game doesn’t run good and that is a simple fact.

The fact of the matter is, the bigger the battles the greater the performance loss to both low end and high end rigs. We all suffer from muddy gunfights when a server clearly shows a lackluster ability to handle more as fights get bigger. What we get in the end of big fights? Audio hitches, especially from Oshur, performance losses due to GPUs and CPUs inefficiently pouring out more wattage and heat than they need to, memory leaks and a host of other anomalies or bugs that start to build up the longer you do play sessions in big battles and your only fix, is to restart the PC completely.
    • Up x 3
  2. Huggyos

Yeah, the game biggest problems are these, especially the latency. Unable to kill a fast randomly moving ESF with Dervish A2A (not lockon) gun in close range because I cant predict its movement and shoot ahead its predicted position in the future if its moving that way, unless its moving straight... ridiculous. Due that huge latency I often insta die after I saw an enemy or die like 1sec after I get behind a cover from an enemy... This client side architecture is a piece of crap that ruins the game and the performance issues as well.
    I have fiber optic internet and playing on Cobalt where my network pings usually between 40-50 and server latency 60-80.
    I played a lot other games before PS2 which was server side based, where 40-50ms pings were no problem at all.
    About the graphics performance lot of time I see stuttering, but from my side the FPS is ok, so it has a huge server side issue either.