[Suggestion] Pause boosts on server downtime

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by csvfr, May 1, 2018.

1. csvfr

Today I decided to use 2 boosts that I had obtained from winning alerts previously. These boosts last 24h so they are best used when you plan to play for a while. However today, about 10-20 mins after equipping the boosts, a message appeared that the servers were going down in 30 mins. So obviously these 2 boosts were not well spent. Furthermore there is no notice/post about today's server downtime, so there was no way I could have known about it beforehand.

My suggestion is to set boost expiration countdown on pause when the servers are taken down. Ideally they should not start again before the player logs in.
    • Up x 3
  2. PlanetBound

Yes. And boosts should only use time when you are in game.
    • Up x 3
  3. DarkStarAnubis

+1 on this. However that means to change the boost concept : instead of 24 calendar hours have a 6 hours online game play (6 is just an example)
    • Up x 1
  4. Bansheedragon75

I agree that the timer should only run when you are online.
    I never understood why they should be running when you are not online and especially when the server is down.
  5. Sprant Flere-Imsaho

I agree that the timer should pause for server down time but this downtime was announced. There was a message about the down time on the website, in the forum, and in the client patcher almost 18 hours prior.
  6. csvfr

It was not announced in the ''Game Update Notes'' forum, which is the usual spot

In fact it is the only patch I've seen that has not been posted there, so I didn't know about the patch

Also, making boosts be active only when online is a good suggestion to address the problem. Wasn't that one of the issues with the old implant system? that energy drained when offline or something?

EDIT: No it wasn't, but that they drained when not needed.
  7. Liewec123

i'm totally onboard with the idea to change boosts to only use time while you're on the character.
    perhaps they should split them so the 24 hour and less boosts work that way, but long boosts work like they currently do.
    obviously the week long (168 hour) boosts might be a little too awesome if they worked like that XD
    and the 6 month boosts (4,380h) would probably last you atleast 2 years!