Patch Notes - 3/10

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by Higby, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Being@RT

Ok, a little less accurate for unspotted targets, but even 15 degrees is too much, especially when the true accuracy will be as much as the jitter ("couple degrees").
    Don't forget that SOE is planning an implant that autospots anyone who damages you.
  2. Loeffel

I'll defenetely quit PS2 if this comes to the live severs!

NO KILLCAM!
    NO MINIMAP LOCATION!
    NO HINTS!
    NOTHING!
    NOTHING CoD STYL!
    STOP IT!

This is the same between pilots! SOE tries to close the gap between noobs and aces! Like adding nooby lock on's etc. and lowere the chance of good dogfights
    But what they always forget is that some of us spend a lot of time in achiving such skills. Playing infantry is not as differcult as being a pilot but with every hour you get more and more combat awareness. You will notic that you will listend more carefully to foodsteps, weaponsounds etc. and probably will know from which direction the enemy attacks. And so much more...

Any sort of information about the killers location is to much in death screen. Even if its random or what else do u call it...
    I don't know why you waiste time with these stupid features when you could finish the the new outfit systems, new tactic instruments, weapon stets overhaul etc....

Just point out one good reason to bring in information about killers location!

Loeffel
    • Up x 1
  3. Nitrobudyn

First of all, DO WE REALLY NEED INFO ABOUT KILLER POSITION?
    If You really want to put it in the game put an info of:
    1. a distance and weapon type
    2. show ona a model, where did the last bullet hit.

ad.1.
    I like sniping and sometimes i am killed by snipers as well. Since i don't know all other empire weapons, i'd kile to see weapon type, it's effective range and distanse to the place where killer shot came from. Like NC14 Bolt Driver described here:

ad.2.
    This:
    [IMG]
    The photo shows it was a headshot, and the killer was on your left, lower than you (perhaps crouching). Cone color could be killers fraction color.

Attention! Use ONE of the above, because using both would give too much information about the killer position.
    • Up x 2
  4. Heyitsrobbie1984

Would kill for a reskin of the standard uniform to be like this.

Make it happen please higby :)
  5. Cairbre

TL;DR: SOE, please play your game and stop changing the game experience, some people here put money for a product you're changing constantly.

I don't understand how the "balance" is made, do you guys sit around a table and say "hey, let's make a new lib belly gun, it'll have 100 rounds that spray all around ! But to balance it each round will only do 5 damage in a 0,1m radius."

There is currently no balance, especially in the air because in a two minutes time span, you can be alone in the sky farming defenseless infantry, then with 15 allied aircrafts, then against 20 ESFs and 10 libs with flak support.

Not because a fraction of Lib crews can be effective as AA with a Dalton or a Shredder (and an even smaller fraction being able to be godlike), nor because a MBT lands his shots on a hovering ESF/Lib/Gal and punishes him, does it mean that the whole game must be leveled to the ground to allow players making bad decisions to survive where they should suffer a brutal and often unexpected death.

And I don't understand either. Let me be clear however: I'm not against changes and updates. The reason I'm angry is because this is put on PTS but, no matter what, it'll go live "because", like every past update, considered awesome, meh, imba or stupid, and that you just can't testproof the "balance" of such changes in few days on an underpopulated test server.
    And we're all fed up with downtimes, bugs and balance issues occuring after EACH patch.

While you may want to improve the experience of casual players that don't want to invest themselves more than "I buy three camos and I play twice a week in a platoon without even being on the same continent as my squad, look three tanks are shooting at my lib, that game is awesome", I think the actual playerbase didn't play and pay for a game evolving towards massive noob-friendly brainless zergs that either your servers or your optimized netcode can't even handle anymore.

Moreover, when a bugfix needs to be adressed because your character talks to his turret, I'm sorry to say that, but you know that updates were made by people not even bothering testing and playing this very game they change "because we have the numbers and we know what players want".
    We know you at least listen players input (RM nerf saga), but we would (or at least, I would) like to see something more solid about the outcome, ranging from "here is a poll" or "here are the stats behind those changes" to "we don't give a damn f.ck" and "don't care, it'll earn us money", especially for these kind of big updates.

(Other than that, the Ranger was awaiting a buff for a long time. Let's spam dual-ranger sundies.)
  6. Korfax124

7. Loeffel

Nothing more to add!

Game should be always challenging to everyone! And brutal to mistakes! Only then - Getting better will be high rewarded!
  8. lords8n

This is the game I play...

I assist in running a RST (recon/sniper team) for my outfit. Our main goal is recon. Of our list of goals and objectives, sniping is a bit down the list. But it is crucial for defense and denial.

The RST must be invisible, or as close to it as we possibly can. We accomplish this with cloaks, positioning, and movement. We try to show our uncloaked selves to the enemy for as little time as possible. We often carry a Stalker with us for backup and pure recon, but the Hunter is our main cloak because of its ability to allow us to reach out and OHK from distance.

We are successful when we see recon darts appear nowhere near our present location. When this happens we know we have done our job, and have done it well. When this happens we know the enemy has no idea where we are nested. What i've found is that these darts aren't random, and the searchers aren't stupid. They just underestimate our operating distance. They are looking around at the terrain and trying to decide where the most likely place a sniper may be perched. Most often they target 150 to 200 meter cover, when we're operating closer to 300. Eventually, and often, the enemy will finally figure out our position.

When confronted with a long range recon/sniper team or individual, there are only a few places where the sniper can possibly be nested. Part of the recon/sniper game is forcing the enemy to guess that location. Often times, if you operate properly, the enemy will dart a position 90 degrees or more from your location. When this happens we just smile.

My point here is that offering any kind of assistance to the enemy will absolutely destroy the RST cat and mouse game. We are weak and vulnerable. We rely on stealth for survival. Please don't take that away. Even a rough guess will be detrimental to our objective.
    • Up x 3
  9. ZenzotuskeN

Great Changes, Personally i wouldn't mind for a Kill Cam to be added to this game, not only will that stop campers and force them to move around more that it'll also make a great tool to detect hackers and bug abusers.
  10. lords8n

I'm sure, with you playing mostly Light Assault on your TR character, the Infiltrator's worse nightmare, this change appeals to you.
    I play mostly Medic. Recon and sniping are only a recent interest out of boredom and utility mostly.

If I waited around a blind corner with a shotgun i'd be a camper.
    Sitting up on a mountain 300 meters away spotting all your armor and air movements, and denying access to air and armor terminals, is not camping. It's recon and sniping, exactly what the class is meant to do. As classic recon/sniper, our positions are discovered plenty easy, as you would know. Having an arrow point to us only makes you not have to work in order to counter this class. Do you enjoy the challenge, or do you just prefer easy mode, is the question? Unless they halt this change you'll get your easy mode...enjoy!
    • Up x 3
  11. Zagareth

ABSOLUTELY NO!
    What on earth are you guys smoking! There is absolutely no reason to give a victim such a detailed information about his killer, especially the exact position! :mad:

The whole level of information renders long range sniping, flanking and stealthy gameplay completely obsolete.

I.e. smart snipers can cover their current sniping spot for a long time by using the right tactics, by the understanding how people look and listen and how the human brain handles what they see and hear. Not so smart snipers reveal their position already after the first 3 shots...
    Now you take all gamers by the hand and tell them exactly where the death came from:
    "Look here you you blind idiot! HERE, exactly where the white dot is! See it? And to make it even easier for you we give you additionally all information that grants your revenge at best"

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  12. RustyCormano

NO DEATHSCREEN MINIMAP or any information about a killer's whereabouts OF ANY KIND.

The information on the deathscreen is more than enough for an intelligent fighter to react to their killer.
    • Up x 2
  13. elementotrl

A couple suggestions:

1) Preciseness should decrease with distance. Anything within say 10 meters will be given an exact dot on where their killer is, regardless of whether or not they were spotted. Within 10-50 meters, if the killer is spotted, their general location will be highlighted. Otherwise, a semi precise directional indicator will be given. Outside of 50 meters, a spotted killer should be given a semi precise directional indicator, an unspotted enemy should be given a vague directional indicator.

2) Equipping a silencer should decrease the effectiveness of the kill cam to a highlighted circle within 10 meters and a vague directional indicator outside of this distance.

3) This should be a suit slot/implant/boost/there should be some reason why experienced, good players won't normally get the detailed location of their killer.

4) In general, add tips on how to prevent future deaths by whatever killed the player i.e. "always keep moving to keep a sniper from picking you off"

5) I don't know the practicality of this suggestion, so I am going to make it last. Especially in close ranges, it would be preferable if there was some sort of delay as the system supposably narrows down your location so that if someone is running in a squad, someone playing covertly has the opportunity to reposition myself before he tells his friends where the covert player is hiding.

I understand that new players need to be given the chance to learn, but hopefully we can compromise and teach new players without destroying stealth.
    • Up x 1
  14. Klondor

I downloaded the patch for the PTS and was able to get on yesterday, but then i had to download another 108MB, now the launcher wont even initialize the game. I've tried reinstalling, and validating the files to no success. Anyone have any solutions?
  15. modellking

• A minimap displaying the killer’s and assistor’s relative position to yours
    Please just show a minimap - suppressors would be worthless in organized groups if you do it your way...

The Spurs is concept is AWESOME

The Hyena is too uneffective to get a role in the air game (Give it more DMG against Air exept ESF)

The Duster has no really role you actually want to use it for, there are nearly always better alternatives

Tail gun improofment's were really required

Composite Armour ... meh - but ok I think it could work...

Dalton Nerf... WHY? descrease the inner-blast radius, but DON'T TAKE us mid aim players our toys! (the 1000 inner-blast-DMG)
    Add a little bit of resistance against the Dalton to the Lib instead!

The Vektor changes were neccesary thanks

Walker Nerf: Don't do that... you're on the best way to make the M20 the no-brainer for AA purposes

G40 Buff: go for it! give this gun some love!

Dead zone decreace: nice! Is more like it should have been.

Once more: why everywhere such high Initial fuel cost?

Straight-Pull Bolt and Shared Vehicle XP:
    thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks!
    Please do something against noobish air weapons and buff the skill-reqired ones again! - It's ok to be noob-friendly but for the cost of such low skill celings?
    Misc and motion sensor changes looks nice
  16. FIuffy

Kill Cam sounds like a great idea to me. As a veteran player I figure out where I was killed from by knowing the maps and the usually firing locations, but new players could really use the help. This change only really hurts the annoying spawn camper types that shell spawns from far away in their tanks or with their sniper rifles. Nobody likes these guys. And they make the game frustrating for new players, so giving new players a way to fight back is great.
  17. TommyXXX

I love you man, there is nothing more to say.

However,
    SOE makes changes to try and let new players join the game has a reason. There was a video on YouTube by shamus young, called reset button - most innovative game of 2008. Hope you guys search it up.
    • Up x 1
  18. Loeffel

Are you kidding me? If you compare this to coyotes they do more then enough dmg!
    Coyotes are fare to strong at the moment and for a good pilot it is nearly impossible to win in a 1vs2 dogfight (same with lock ons as well btw.)
    Dude ... Lib is no one man show. Bringing down a Lib as an ESF 1vs1 is very differcult and will be even more differcult with these lock ons.
    I dont know why people always try to over power their weapons systems.

Yeah make the game easy for everyone! Great idea! The only way is and should be teamplay.
    If you bring in a kill cam or stuff like this - The game will turn into a 1vs1 battle, were everyone is locking for there nemesis and tdont care for anything else. This game can be tough some times but it should be because it is an epic battle simulation and there is the rough direct way and the sneeky hidden one.
  19. Steel Soldier

I started this game in 1 Dec of 2012.

No tutorials, but I learned how to play the game.

I have seen pilots wreck a small group with impossible maneuvers. I am guessing they too learned how to play the game.

I have seen Lightnings running around destroying heavy armour with relative ease. I am sure they also learned how to play the game.

Players have put time and practice in using various tactics and weapons: finding out what combination of skills/abilities/weapons that make them death on foot.

They put the time and the effort to learn how to play the game.

Making their character they way they want, certing in levels they want, driving, flying shooting what they want.

We all learn how to play the game.

This game has a learning curve. All good games do. No leveling curve means no real game, just there. You might get XP but it is practically handed to you, part of the experience in becoming a better/stronger character is learning how to play the game. It can give one that personal feeling of accomplishment.

We have a minimap that zooms in to about 100 to 150m radius. So any weapons discharge is immediately seen, twice that if there is a compensator on it. Snipers fire out of that range, and you get tagged? Well done to the sniper, especially if it was at the 200+ mark. He/she took time to practice to ace a target from such a distance. They learned how to play the game.

You can spot a target from a lot farther then a sniper shot. What about those engineer turrets? They are firing from a range where all they see is the Doritos. They hit their targets from a lot farther and with no zoom. They learned how to play the game.

You get hit with, you know what direction they you head out looking for the person. Hunting down such an individual is a learning experience.

SOE, keep the learning curve. It is what sets you apart from your competition. If you want to increase the information on the death screen so they can get a better look at what killed a player, fine.

You have all the information, all the stats, but there has to be a time when you have to look at say “no”.

STEEL
    • Up x 1
  20. Desann

So I am reading these posts and it seems to come to one conclusion. NOBODY WANTS THE KILL INDICATORS AT ALL....NOBODY....

YET SOE still pushes the issue.

Lets use this analogy:

When a man wants to do "things" of an intimate nature to a woman, and she says no, but he does it anyway...its called ****. That's a fact and actually a law. I am simply making an analogy. (word got blocked and I will not attempt to "dodge the profanity filter" so you will have to fill in the censor...sorry)

So, what is it called when a game development team (who asks for community feedback and "listens") presents an idea, the MAJORITY of the community SCREAMS no....and they do it anyway. What's the word for that?

And before this gets deleted for not being "constructive" my feedback is simply to listen to the community. The vast, overwhelming majority of this player base does not want a directional kill indicator. So drop it. Leave it alone. Tell the guy/gal who thought of it tough luck but the players just don't like the idea.

I understand we as players are playing the game that you all as developers are making. But don't open your arms and ears to the community only to force a blatantly obvious rejected idea.