Patch is coming

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Iridar51, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Iridar51

Finally coming in today's/tomorrow's patch:

New JumpJet - Icarus Jump Jets
    • Icarus Jump Jets provide significantly faster vertical thrust and fuel recharge rate at the cost of in-air maneuverability and overall fuel capacity.
    Drifter Jump Jets
    • Drifter jump jets will now provide a small amount of vertical lift when no directional keys are being pressed
    Hue-ston, we have lift-off!

Also a "buff" to Eclipse:
    • VS Directive weapons which use heat mechanics are no longer able to be manually reloaded to reset heat.
    • Heat capacities increased to give them 3-5 more shots from empty.
    I use "quotes", because it's not clear whether this is actually a buff, considering Eclipse had Solstice's 1.67s reload.

These changes make all Drifter Jets videos obsolete, so I request of those who have used them in the past to record some footage, highlighting best ways to use Drifter Jets. Or at least provide textual feedback, so I can update my guide properly.

And Eclipse, of course. Gotta know what that's worth now, now that your damage per mag concerns have been addressed.
    • Up x 2
  2. Leivve

I see a light coming from the horizon... It's beautiful.
    • Up x 1
  3. Kubin

Good I've just pumped my Drifters up to max level a few weeks ago. It's nice to use but with this patch it would be more versatile - love it!
  4. Fry_Poncho

Dem icarus do.

However, im more concerned about emp grenades. (But also happy. He He He)
  5. Iridar51

Meh, grenades were never a problem for LA. Rarely we should be a collateral damage to an EMP detonation, simply because we shouldn't be where all other allied infantry is.

LA isn't too hard to hit with an EMP grenade, but infils are usually busy doing other things, like their hair.

LA is a free predator of the sea, and above infiltrators in a food chain, and EMP buffs don't change that.
  6. CrimsonEclipse5

**** yeah! Really looking forward to Icarus Jets, cause I never got to use them before. However new drifters look pretty damn sweet too.
  7. Akashar

I'm finishing to auraxium the eclipse, I'll tell you if it's still utter garbage or if it got better. IMO, as long as it's not a solstice with a heat mechanic (IE with all the attachments of the solstice) it will still suck.
  8. Paqu

Biggest problem with the Eclipse was the small magazine size. Even if the new overheat + cooldown would take bit longer than the old overheat + reload I still see this as an overall buff to the weapon. More shots before overheat makes it easier to keep from overheating and to deal with heavy assaults.

I tested the icarus on PTS and if it made live as is its a bit of lackluster. Places where you can easily get with normal jump jets and still have some fuel to spare are too high for the icarus. Also if you jump from greater heights the icarus doesn't have enough fuel/thrust to stop you from splattering on the ground.

If thats not enough downsides you also have very little control on the air and can only travel very short distances. Which makes it impossible to get from one rooftop to another for example. All this in exchance for faster speed when going upwards.

But like I said thats the PTS icarus. I will test them on live and give it a shot.

Drifter changes are great and I will definately use them more.
    • Up x 1
  9. Liewec123

prepare for the Age of the Drifter
    on PTS it was faster than the other 2,
    could fly higher than the other 2,
    lasted longer than the other 2
    and recharged faster than the other 2.

there really is no reason to use Jumper/icarus over drifters now :p
  10. Pikachu

Drifter change is great but I dont see why they cant increase the forward speed. Like 50%. Make 'flying' and sliding fun. Like someone else sdaid icarua jumps arent god enough. They dont reach as far upwards as jump jet and not fast enough.
  11. Reclaimer77

What does "3-5" more shots per mag even mean Devs? Is it three, or is it five? That's kind of important to know!
  12. Iridar51

Depends on the weapon, I assume. We'll know for sure when we get there.
  13. Mongychops

It's because there are 3 auraxium guns with the heat mechanic, so the amount of extra shots varies depending on the gun.

It is probably safe to assume that the "5" refers to the Eclipse, because it is the worst hit by the small magazine size, since it has the 2 damage tier fall off unlike the other two, lacks the forward grip of the Darkstar, and had only just over half the bullets/overheat of the Betelgeuse.
  14. Mongychops

The only way in which it will be an issue is if the non-LoS detonations (which drain your shield but then it instantly starts recharging and you don't lose HUD) drain your jets. In which case you may lose your jets while climbing outside a building when a grenade is thrown inside.
    • Up x 1
  15. Onhil

It means that most likely the Eclipse and the Darkstar will get 5 more rounds, the Scorpios will get 4 and the Betelgeuse will get 3
    But thats just my guess
  16. Iridar51

Wait, Scorpios uses heat? U sure?
  17. Onhil

I'm pretty sure all of VS automatic directive wepons uses heat, but ofcourse I can't confirm that the Scorpios has heat, becuase I have not seen any videos of anyone using it and I don't have it myself yet. I only have the Betel
  18. Jawarisin

Yes, and EMP now emptying your fuel... Watch your back, watch it.
  19. Iridar51

Maxed out Icarus and played with them for about an hour. Overall cost is around ~1850 certs.

I liked it, despite the downsides. Losing the ability to speed drift is instantly noticeable and hurtful. Icarus can still do some convulsive horizontal movement, but forget about doing that fast. Also forget about C4 fairing. Being unable to jump off any height and still land in one piece is an inconvenience, but not all that important. Precise movement is possible, but trying to do it feels like doing a surgery in mittens.

But that powerful vertical thrust is magnificent, and so is fast recharge speed. So long as you can cling to a wall for at least a second, you can jet all day long. It's probably as addictive as ASC is. After playing with it all other jets will feel like time is going in reverse.

Icarus is not as powerful as we would like. Its weak sides are weak, and strong sides are strong. I guess that's what "balanced" feels like.

At this point I'm not ready to recommend Icarus for everyday use, as it's simply not as versatile as Jump Jets, but it's a nice toy to have, and I look forward to having my sweet time with it.
  20. ATRA_Wampa-One

Only the Battlegoose, Eclipse, and Dorkstar have the heat mechanic, although I would dearly love for the Scorpios to get it as well.

As for the buffs, the Eclipse and Dorkstar got the extra 5 rounds before overheating (so max of 30) and the Battlegoose got the 3 (so max of 45) which is a good change overall.

Well it would be a good change but apparently some of my outfit mates are saying that the changes were only applied to the Dorkstar and Battlegoose this patch so I'll have to test it when I get home.

Excited to try out the Icarus jets since if I'm C4 fairing I'm using drifters and I normally like to just use my jets to quickly change where I'm at vertically, so it should be a welcomed addition to my play style.