[Suggestion] Past Auraxium? (Medals)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TRspy007, Apr 26, 2020.

1. TRspy007

I think it's already been said before, but what if they added a medal past auraxium? Say maybe after 10 000 more kills, you get a new medal?

The reward wouldn't have to be certs, since we'll assume by that time the player has already made more than enough. Maybe add a cool attachment for the weapon, or allow to equip two in the rail slot at once if it's not a directive weapon. Or a title/decal/camo just for the weapon?

There could also be a directive, say after getting this medal on 5 weapons (would not have to be all the same type). This directive would unlock some sort of "elite" banner + weapon, or simply let the player further customize the weapons they have unlocked the directive with.

With some people having almost 8 years of play, I'm pretty sure it's time to add a new medal to work for.
  2. Caesar_REDMIST

OK new medal ok, as long as it gives only esthetics and certs.
  3. Demigan

While I understand the idea it only encourages players even more to stick to a single weapon, rather than encourage players to swap them out for a new one once in a while. I dont want to see more people farming with the same weapon for an eternity.
  4. TRspy007

People already do. Sure, they switch loadouts around a bit, but after auraxing all their weapons, most players stick to the one or two as their main. Some people already have 13k + kills on some weapons, might as well throw in a reward for that.
  5. Demigan

Thats my point, people already do and throwing in a reward will see more people going down that road. With how people already have problems with staleness its counterproductive to reward people for making their own gameplay more stale by picking the same weapon for extreme amounts of time.
  6. The Shady Engineer

I don't know if it's still a thing, but I remember DBG giving people with 100k kills on a weapon a golden variant of that gun.
    • Up x 1
  7. zelekk

Emm auraxiuming guns is main (almost only) reason to swap them. Dont see why more medals with nice blinki reward would be sth bad.
    • Up x 1
  8. TRspy007

What's so bad about using the same weapon? If some people enjoy maining a weapon, then good for them, they can work on another grind. If others don't enjoy maining a weapon, fine, they can still do the grind, or ignore it if they chose.

And I mean, the whole point of directives was to aurax more than one gun anyways. We'd just be adding another medal and another directive.
  9. TRspy007

Yeah I think something like that would be really cool. I don't remember that actually being a thing.
  10. The Shady Engineer

Aeflic from Emerald NC got a golden Anchor after 100k. A couple Vanu heavies got golden SVA's and another dude got a golden recon dart launcher iirc. It's been a while ago though so I don't remember specifics.
    • Up x 1
  11. Demigan

There is nothing wrong with people wanting to play with a single weapon for extended periods of time. The operative word here is "want". One of the most important tasks of developers is making sure players dont destroy the game for themselves. Humans are programmed to reach a goal as safe as possible, even if its not enjoyable. Unfortunately they'll also do this with games, and some players will chase the medal at the end beyond what enjoys them simply because they want that medal or that reward.

Just look no further at the people farming for the Kraken. But if you look you'll find more rewards that people have gone for complaining all the way, possibly burning them out making them leave the game (temporarily).
  12. TRspy007

Eh I'm pretty sure directives/medals are the last reason people leave. It doesn't take long to aurax anything, adding a new medal at 10000 kills would add maybe a week's grind. Also since the directive is not weapon specific, you could chose 5 of your "favorite" weapons.

It doesn't feel like that big a grind, especially considering how many people already have way more than that on some weapons.
  13. Demigan

A weeks grind? How the hell are you playing? Who are you playing?

I have about 2009 hours played total with 89941 kills total. That comes to about 45 kills per hour. It would take 1.3 weeks of non-stop playing without sleep, food or work for me to complete that for a single weapon. On my LA I have auraxed 24+ weapons, I would need 240.000 kills or 24 "weeks" of grinding.

Alternatively: if your 10.000 per week was true, then people would have auraxed 50+ weapons in a year of playing and be pretrty much done with all classes and vehicles.
    • Up x 2
  14. zelekk

Well my outfit mate can auraxium guns he enjoy in one/two days. Mainly cqc carabins.
    You are not counting endless hours spend on moving around goffing around or looking for kils, this realy downs your kpm
    • Up x 1
  15. TRspy007

lol I have to admit that thanks to quarantine, I'm pumping quit a bit of playtime for my characters.

But you can check "my stats" on a weapon and see how long it took you to aurax something. I'm a below average player, it takes me usually less than a day of playing with that weapon to aurax it. Sometimes that means I can get it start to finish auraxed on the same day/same session. Others I simply didn't have the time/the fights so it takes 2, maybe 3 days/sessions of playing with that weapon.The launchers are the only weapons for me that have actually taken over a day to aurax.

The week is more like the total number of hours it would take to get the medal (I should've been more clear). Spread overtime it could mean 2-3 weeks playing with that weapon if the fights suck and you can't have long play sessions. I'm sure some people will unlock it in less than a week, others might take maybe a month or more. Like you calculated, it would take you more or less a week of total time playing with the weapon to get it too.

I get your point, not everyone would go for it, and it's a pretty big grind for some. But I think just having more medals for veterans would be pretty nice. Even one at 100k where they give a gold variant of that weapon to the user sounded pretty cool (although now we can unlock gold camo so.. :().

Idk, I'd like something to reward players for actually investing a bit of time into the game. 1160 kills seems impressive at first, but considering how many hours people have into the game, it's not much. Even if they added a medal at 100k kills, some people already have way more than that on one weapon! They could even make a medal at 1 million kills on a weapon, just to get the people who live on this game to work towards something. People want bragging rights, but since almost everybody has auraxiums and the directive weapons, there should be more progression past that.

Maybe they could just add new medals (I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take a lot of work to do), and "test" the reaction. If people like it, great, if people don't forget about em, if no one cares, just leave them.