[Suggestion] Passive Coordination Ability

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mezinov, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Mezinov

A cert line to be added to the leadership tree; basically, voiceless coordination. When X looks at Y and the center of X's crosshair is on Y (Q spot requirements), the spot marker for Y triggers and receives a marker/ring.

At Level 1, Members of a Fireteam will see marked what the other member of their fire team is aiming at.

At level 2, Members of a Squad will see marked what the Squad Leader of their squad is aiming at.

At level 3, Members of a Platoon will see marked what the Platoon leader of their platoon is aiming at.

This could theoretically be expanded if Companies and Divisions are ever added to the game.

The basic idea would be to allow for quick and voiceless coordination of fire. Basically "everyone shoot the same guy". It is an entirely passive method, suitable for both coordinated play and herding cats.

The mark would not need to be anything complicated, and could be denoted by rings. Taking the bounty marker as a base (as it is the largest spot icon), you could then draw a ring around it once. This is level 1. Then another ring. This is level 2. And another. Level 3. The rings would only need to be thick enough to be visually distinct (the same thickness of the walls of a Doritos triangle would likely be sufficient) so that the ability could exist without cluttering the screen.

Since information is limited to Fireteam > Squad > Platoon, there can never be more than 4 "marked targets" visible to a single player. Their own. Their fireteam mates. The squad leaders. The platoon leaders.

It would provide a reason for players to begin examining the leadership certification screen, even if they do not often lead squads.

It would function on "trickle down" theory. So the Platoon leader would need Level 3, but his underlings would not. On the micro level, if one Fireteam member had it and the other didn't the user who had it would be sharing the mark to the user who doesn't, but the user who doesn't wouldn't provide a mark to the user who does.
    • Up x 2
  2. Okaydan

Sounds nice. Maybe make it work like when you hold Q and the menu pops up. Make the up selection "mark this noob".
    I don't think its particularly interesting for my squad mates to have every guy I tag get an extra, distracting, ring.

Would buy though +1
  3. PatateMystere

Hold A spot on a capture point and you can define it as a priority target, if you are squad or platoon leader. I dont know if this work with ennemy vehicule also. I have to check. But the idea already exist in the game.
  4. Demigan

It shouldn't be a certification line. A Platoon leader should be able to rely on his teammates seeing his marked targets.

I've proposed marking before. Using hold Q-spot to ask for infantry support, tank attacks or airstrikes. With holding V you could mark area's to contain AA (either as a "please get rid of it" or as "warning all Aircraft"), or you could warn for AV nests, Sunderer placement or tanks being present.

Edit: Something should also be done to make this viable for randoms. Teamplay shouldn't be bound to squads and platoons. Especially if you can't even communicate with a squaddy from a different squad or even a different platoon, or with that group of randoms sticking it out nearby.