Particle PhysX?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Master, Jan 30, 2014.

1. LithiumFox

PhysX is a full physics engine. There is CPU based processing, things like Ballistics, Tractions, Gravity, and those kinds of things, that run for any CPU that are the main bulk of the game and engine. Then they have the "ADVANCED GPU RENDERING" options, things like cloth tear, fire occlusion, particle effects, water physics, and so on. Those require an NVidia based GPU for those specific features, and never have I seen a game REQUIRE those features. From what I have heard, Nvidia is starting to be a little more lenient since the PS4 uses AMD tech and yet Nvidia is absolutely wanting Physx on it.

Games like ARMA III and the likes are prime examples of Physx being used as the main engine, although it's still considered a middleware game engine, although ARMA has it's own share of issues. (Like artificially flipping vehicles to the "correct" position.)

DayZ, on the other hand, will be using physx almost directly as middleware, adding only to the existing game as they see they need it (for item interactions and what not)
  2. Ssidistik

Any word on this yet?
  3. IamDH

PhysX is now an urban legend
    • Up x 1
  4. terente

Still seeing the GPU Particle option in Settings so I'm thinking it's not yet excluded from the plans as far as development goes
  5. FateJH

If you look in the main game folder, you'll see a bunch of DLLs that start "PhysX3." It has been provided for emulation, even if you have a Nvidia GPU already. I'm curious what "PhysX3Cooking" does to be honest.
    That's just for the flashy particle effects.
  6. Drasilov

Dayum thread necro...
  7. FateJH

Well, it is still a very valid question to some people.
    • Up x 2
  8. Bonom Denej

Indeed. I'm still wondering if it will ever come back... :(
  9. Anomalous Entity

When will it come back? When the PS4 doesn't have problems with it... You're a PC player, you don't matter anymore. buy something and stop whining all the time. (Your wallet still matters, but it doesn't whine.)
  10. Dtswiss

They are working with NVidia trying to fix it....

They said that 1 year and half ago, and recently again on stream. Must be the slowest dev on the planet if they are truly working on it.
  11. Stormprobe

They're not working on it.
  12. I play by many names

I hope PhysX never gets added back in, they have already wasted far too much time on trying to make it work right. Imagine if they weren't constantly trying to make PhysTrash work in beta all those man hours could have gone into actually important things. Its Sony spending money on eye candy that I would rather they spend on fixing the huge list of bugs, add real content, do the desperately needed vehicle revamps, finish the desperately needed resource system, fix performance, address the pile of balance issues and in general fix the fricken game.
  13. I play by many names

14. Bloodlet

Sorry that some of you run the game on toasters. I thought it looked great and I wish it was back.
    • Up x 1
  15. Jaquio

I must say that the whole PhysX thing was a tremendous piece of bait and switch by the devs.

I remember logging in the first few weeks and hearing everyone talking about it, and posting videos of what it looked like. And the company line was "we took it out to help performance these first few weeks, but it'll be in soon."

Now, two years later, it's clear that they only used it to make attractive promo videos and then scrapped it.
  16. Bonom Denej

They took it out a year ago during OMFG, not two years ago.
    Honestly, if it's completely scrapped, I don't see why they keep the option greyed out in the settings.
  17. Jaquio

I was talking about the initial launch in 2012.

Back when they were showing glorious videos of action in beta, and then when the game launched it looked nothing like that. The line at the time was "we took it out to help performance during the launch."
  18. Bonom Denej

Oh ok, but what you said was somewhat implying that it actually never came back ever since. PhysX still went live for about a year before being turned off during OMFG.
  19. Jaquio

Fair enough. I actually quit for a big chunk of time because of serious deficiencies in the game, only to come back recently to find a number of those issues fixed (albeit replaced by other issues). They must've brought back PhysX when I was gone and then scrapped it before I came back.

I guess it never crossed my mind that they would pull it out of the game for a second time. That's kind of... embarrassing.