Parallax only way?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Oleker2, May 19, 2013.

1. Oleker2

I'm playing as a infiltrator on my VS char, and find my self in this question...
    Parallax is the ultimate choice for bolt action?
    The 50 more dmg really make that much difference?
  2. VSDerp

i think the parallax is the best since i use the parallax 95% of the time. but i dont think 50 extra damage is a big difference well probably in body shots.
  3. Kogmaw

Correct me if im wrong, but the Parallax also has the highest bullet velocity. Thats why ive been looking into it, makes leading shots a lot more reliable
    • Up x 1
  4. Cursedx3

Like Kogmaw said. Parallax is mostly used for its higher bullet velocity. Damage has little effect for Snipers considering your still going to have to take a second shot for body shots anyways.
    • Up x 1
  5. altonyc

As others have been pointing out, the main benefit to the Parallax is the velocity. The 50 damage doesn't really do much, but the increased velocity makes it easier to hit targets, and makes drop less of an issue. 100m out, it's practically hitscan.
    • Up x 1
  6. Adamar09

It's slightly higher damage and bullet velocity for increased refire/reload time (so a pretty good trade). Good for long range and moving targets.

If you're just sniping on an alt or whatever you could arguably save smeds/certs and just use the XM98. Depends how seriously you take that character.
    • Up x 1
  7. Dr. Euthanasia

It's the bullet velocity that makes it superior to any other bolt-action, although if you need to make a lot of shots consecutively, the Ghost would probably serve you better. Keep in mind that because the Parallax is designed for long range combat, it brings with it the problem of bullet rise - that is to say, your bullets automatically fire slightly upwards coming out of the barrel to better compensate for bullet drop at long ranges. Up close, you'll miss your target's head if you shoot straight for it, and a similar problem occurs when you shoot at targets on a drastically different level of elevation than your own.

Just try it out in VR training and you'll see what I mean. It's easy to compensate for once you learn about it.
    • Up x 2
  8. Linheru

I use parallax due to the higher velocity somewhat making up for the suppressor drop. Most people would tell you never to put a suppressor on a bolt action though, but it serves me well. =)
  9. zaspacer

I played my Infil with XM98 for a LONG time. Finally got the Parallax and feel the Parallax is just better:
    * HUGE: less bullet drop (with or without Suppressor)
    * VERY GOOD: less lead time (though I am still a bit off on adjusting to this)
    * NICE: more damage a nice bonus
    • Up x 1
  10. illgot

Parallax for long distance use. There is another bolt action with 1-4x scopes you should pick up for closer range combat.
  11. Oathblivion

Since the bolt-actions are identical, I can use NC experience on this I think. The way I see it, there is no functional difference between the 100 cert bolt action (stock for NC), and the 1000 cert bolt action. Nanoweave will still prevent OHKOs at range regardless of which you use. At closer ranges, the extra velocity doesn't affect anything, as you just point right at their head anyways. At long range, you really shouldn't be trying to hit a moving target, which is about the only advantage faster bullet speed gives. That means that the difference between the Parallax and whatever the VS analog of the NC14 Bolt Driver is called is 900 certs and 1-2 mildots on your scope. Not a fair trade, in my opinion.

That said, I've really taken a liking to the Ghost with ironsights on my VS Infiltrator. Anything at 50m or less dies if you're good enough to hit their head, and the speedy scoping animation makes it easy* to draw a bead on someone. For long range support, I've been enjoying the change of pace no-drop semi-autos give me as compared to the NC.

*Easy is relative. I actually suck at this game, but it's still great fun when I can get it to work. :D
  12. Rexuz

Parallax is superb on very long distance sniping.
  13. Enxel

I'm still using the V10 but I'm going to switch to the Parallax after doing some testing , i found my self getting better results at aiming my sights at long range with the Parallax than the V10, it fits that perfect zone i tend to aim at first glance giving me a more quick reaction to shoot.
    This may be diffident from person to person and I recommend trying out all Rifles at the VR Training on long range targets and check the one closer to your aiming zone.
  14. Vaphell

parallax also adds ~25m to ohk range and it's nothing to scoff at (with bugged nanoweave lvl5 we are talking going from 50m to 75). Getting waxed by full auto spray after unsuccessful headshot from 50m gets old really fast.
    • Up x 1
  15. Serpent808

50 + damage really won't mean much. It just means that the base damage is higher. Key stats to look for in a Bolt-action sniper rifle, like the Parallax, is Muzzle Velocity, Aim accuracy, and reload speed. The XM98, the V10, and the Parallax are basically the all the same Bolt-action sniper rifle with key stats tweaked. All bolt-action snipers rifles will 1-shot, headshot any non-MAX player, sometimes 2-shot with 5/5 Nano-weave Armor. The same rules apply to TR and NC variant.

I don't believe the Parallax is the ultimate choice, and even with a silencer, the bullet drop-off is sever. My weapon of choice is actually the Spectre.
  16. lilleAllan

Ehm what, you definately should be trying to hit moving targets, long range or not.
    • Up x 2
  17. Gomezie

Hmm deciding If I need to switch from the V10.. anyone know what the main differences would be?

Just doesn't seem like theres anything from with the V10 at the moment.. aside from a little boredom :)
  18. Oathblivion

Well, I'm certainly no expert on the class (or the game for that matter, though I do play a lot of medic). I just question why. Usually I've had the choice between shooting that guy who is running or shooting one of his teammates who is just standing around. If there's nothing else to shoot, then sure, but is the risk of revealing yourself really worth making a shot that is literally hit or miss?
  19. ih8Darian

Sometimes Nano-weave 2 or even 1 can top a 1 hit headshot, mainly experienced this by getting hit by NC BAs, all of my V10 headshots have been OHK, I guess I'm lucky enough not to meet a NW armor guy :D
  20. Hotspoon

Be a real man, and use the SAS-R variant for your faction, nothing like the thrill and high speed gameplay of using a 4x scope or less BAR to snipe at close to med range. At first I honestly thought that this would be a disaster using this weapon, but after developing it, and improving, it is by far the most fun BAR I think is out there. Also, it would seem that nanoweave is trivialized by this BAR because of the ranges your fighting in. Yes sometimes it takes more then one head shot, but the fast reload makes follow up shots easy. Add to the fun and get yourself emp grenades, and grenade bandolier and body shots become OSKs. Getting to the point where I'm regularly getting kills streaks with this weapon, and counter sniping very effectively, also you have better awareness of your surroundings as your spending less time, and have better visibility while ADS.