[BUG] Overpowered Shotguns?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dubious, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Dubious

The fault of having fast TTKs..

In PS1, only the JH could "OHK" with burst mode, up close
  2. Konstantinn

YAY for 1 shot kills! I bet you the guy that came up with those will bring back BFRs too!
  3. Sian

Did some testing, and yeah, no 1 shot bodyshot kills anywhere. PA slugs will 1HKO up to 20 meters if a headshot.
    Okay, here's what I've found. Ranges are approximate.
    Semi and full auto shotguns:
    point blank to 10 meters: 2 shots to any part of the body
    11 meters and further: 1 headshot+1 bodyshot, or 3 bodyshots.

I did not find any range where it took more than 1 headshot+1bodyshot to down a standard (1000+1000) VR target. You'll probably need a third shot at some point if they have nanoweave though. I would need an other-faction partner to test that.

Old pump shotgun (Claw, Phobos, Barrage)
    point blank to 12 meters: 1 headshot
    point blank to 20 meters: 2 bodyshots
    1 body+1head or 3 body always kills past 12 meters.

New pump shotgun (Bruiser, Blackjack, Deimos)
    point blank to 20 meters: 1 headshot if target is infil
    point blank to 15 meters: 1 headshot all other classes
    point blank to 30 meters: 2 bodyshots
    1 body+1head or 3 body always kills past 15 meters
  4. Thardus

Ever consider that getting into position to take advantage of those "cheap kills" is a skill in and of itself?
  5. ent|ty

I dont consider tactics cheap. Its in the average 1-shot and spam of weapons use.
  6. Thardus

The tactic is getting into a position where the wielder won't simply be gunned down far outside of his effective range. That's the main reason I only use my shotgun on Light Assault.
  7. Killy80

I'm raging again about PAS today... Short range? Screw you... That's a damn lie. Look at the screenshot, I was oneshotted from there and stood at the exact place I'm in that screenshot. I saw him first, shot, BAM I'm dead.

[IMG]
  8. Sian

Headshot? It should say on your killboard.
    Skill or luck, that's within headshot range for a pump-action. Good tacticson the shooter: if he had been much further away, that head**** wouldn't have been lethal.
  9. framperton

I'm going to check your testing on Semi Autos and Autos two shotting point blank and @ 10 meters with slugs, because it had always taken me 3 good torso hits to knock down most infantry, although it may be less for an infiltrator.
  10. framperton

Well firstly, Yes you are in close range. PA shotguns can reach out farther than semi autos because of their currently much higher pellet count and equivilant velocity. If he centered hit red dot or whatever on your upper chest than there is a good chance he got multiple headshots. The shotgun spread works like this: the origin of the shotgun cone can be anywhere in the recticle, and if they apply certain modifiers such as ADS and standing still then that brings the origin much closer to the little 'dot' in the center.

Also, common practice for approaching doors; try to get as close to a perpendicular angle to them as possible, as it forces the person inside on the defensive and gives you a better field of fire. Even if the person had an assault rifle or whatever you would have probably died due to you being out of cover and them being in heavy cover.
  11. Khami

I can't see any other reason for people to "defend" the usage of shotguns with a TTK of 0.0 sec in a game where every generator and every objective is in close quarters (yeah the same reason why everyone is whining about NC MAX - also you will get yelled at and insulted if you follow these "just don't go there and create your medium range battles"-advises for being useless) other than "i use it myself and i dont see anything wrong with it".

Honestly, the Claw / Uppercut was one of the first weapons i got after using stockweapons for quite a while when i was still new, because i generally like the style of shotguns - and i actually thought i had suddenly improved because i got those crazy killstreaks all of a sudden and was dominating people i didn't stand a chance against before. Then at some point it got to me when literally everyone was using PAS on my server that it had nothing to do with me. Because these weapons will kill you, before you even got a chance to react (It's a MMO, hitconfirms are processed on the server not client based, so you got AT LEAST 400 ms delay on your hitbox). You don't stand a chance against these weapons unless the guy wielding them suddelny suffers a heart attack or something.

Also: It's far easier to play this whole "you got to outsmart him and flank him"-game the other way round - as a shotgun user i find it FAR easier to get at people, flank them or just take them by surprise (or jetpack into their face) than trying to get a shotgun to stupidly charge at you at long range (because that would be assuming that people using a shotgun would lose all their intelligence and tactical thinking in the process).

There also is a reason why everyone is using them and why the statistics absolutley favor PAS - thats not because alle the PAS users are so "pro" - like i know bout my self i'm pretty average. You can even make them work in long range battles by going from cover to cover. Personally i would like them out of the game because it ruins so many potentally funny infantry fights - getting oneshotted before you even hear a weapon fired just isn't fun and "fun" is what a game should be all about.
    • Up x 1
  12. Krayus_Korianis

So the range of shotguns are 60+ feet to kill someone with 1 shot? o_O That don't seem right, because after 10 feet the spread is huge on a shotgun, even with chokes. About ~30 feet the cup flies away from anything that you were hitting.

I wonder why they haven't just given shotguns to everyone then... If rifles aren't meant for CQC...
    • Up x 1
  13. Sian

I wouldn't be surprised if a modest amount of nanoweave pushed it to 3 shots. Aim for the head! 1 headshot and 1 bodyshot will always work.
  14. Killy80

I do know that it was a headshot. I complain about the RANGE an OHK can happen with a PAS. Look at the image. That's ridiculous for an OHK.

Plus, you are telling me the right strategy is to AVOID buildings basically. And this is exactly the sad part. Avoid buildings or wield a PAS by yourself.
    • Up x 1
  15. pnkdth

Shotguns are easy mode, people like easy, so they like shotguns. It makes them feel skilled, and winning feels good. Much like missile pods for ESFs it is a way for SOE to entice you to buy a different class of weapon and call it sidegrade. Much like the lolpods they ruin the fun for everyone else and leave with the notion they're skilled.

I still use my semi-auto shotgun and even then I feel dirty for every kill I get because it is just so damn easy. Point it in the direction of your enemy and they go away. Most shotgun lovers lack the spine to admit their shotties are OP, poorly impliment, weapons but they are.

So yeah, a shame, previously good fights are ruined by this ineherantly imbalanced weapon.
    • Up x 4
  16. PS2Freak

i enjoy times using my em6 and there are times i enjoy shotguns. neither feel cheep, neither the one nor the other is i win button. i lose with my shotgun against "normal" weapons a lot.

yes. to miss first shot and then second is very easy. ... keep moving, dont stare.
  17. Khami

Your Username pretty much screams "biased".... and even IF you miss two shots at a target that ist trying to defend itself against you (which means he HAS to stare at you, because you need to aim at stuff you want to kill) you still got a pretty good chance to come out on top because you've got the same option of "moving and not just standing there" and just because a weapon is not a shotgun doesnt mean your counterpart will hit every shot while using it.
  18. Kaon1311

But 95% of the game takes place in that 1 usefull arena.

Not moaning about shoties, but saying they are useless in long and mid range combat, where 95% of the game cqc combat is required (ie any cap point), makes no sense.

Anyway, prob use certs to get one tonight, can shoot and smoke at the same time, since good aim isnt realy required :p
  19. Kaon1311

Vehicles in this game are pretty cr4p anyway, maybe they should bring in BFRs :p
    Maybe thats why they are giving infantry all the tools to own vehicles, ready for the BFRs?
  20. PS2Freak

biased, somehow yes, i bought Bruiser-boy, and i say to you my BR51+ experience, i still lose in 50% of fights. some people, know how to stay "aimed at my head" while still in move..... + bruiser reload speed (or lack of reload speed) brought me many times the death. + missed shots.

+ my first target are not usual people, but those who themself use shoties, like LA and stuff.

i just say from my experience with piston (2 shot kill), there will be first week or two where you run with shotgun like mad, but after that you realize how you "cut of" from mobile combat.

yes, many fights are in rooms. Ap mines, Maxes, Infiltrators and shotgun users, its hell of coctail.

i am on miller, and not everybody run with shotgun. 1 or 2 per base. (1 per faction).

just want to say. i dont see shotguns as problem, from my day to day experience (br51 is a lot of time you know..)