[BUG] Overpowered Shotguns?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dubious, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Dubious

Just got killed before I had time to push the trigger and I knew he was coming
    1 hit and I was dead and from the way he was aiming and the range, it was 1 hit to the body..

Why even play infantry anymore?
    or, why even play Infantry with anything else than with shotguns?
    • Up x 17
  2. FateJH

No, unfortunately, that sounds accurate for a shotgun user encounter.
  3. framperton

You're complaining about getting instantly killed by a shotgun, yet you fail to mention the range. Personally I think the "I got killed before I could react" arguments are not a valid means to judging balance, and are more of a crybaby response.

Now, that said; if it was at a longer range than you were expecting, chances are he was using slug rounds. You don't mention if you were hurt or if your shields were out, or if you were out of cover or any of the relevant details so noone could possibly tell from what you posted any iota of the scenario.

Slug rounds are powerful. They are by no means effective at close range. It is an incredible risk to use them in CQB.

Now if it was a PA at close range, you really don't have much of a chance unless you use your head and act intelligently. They have incredible stopping power up close, and are very effective until about 10-15 meters. Stay out of that range, use grenades, flank so whatever you can to keep the distance because going toe to toe with a shotgun user is a stupid idea that not only will get you killed in short order, but should.
    • Up x 15
  4. GalacticBulge

This post has earned my eternal thumbs up and should be plastered all over every single "NERF SHOTGUNZ" thread.
    • Up x 4
  5. Xae

Good idea, except that every single objective in this game is in shotgun range.

I have shotgun whored as much as anyway, but the new Pump action shotguns are just poorly balance ********.
    • Up x 8
  6. kamenjar

Then let the squad members with shotguns handle it. If you brought a rifle, use it at rifle range and cover your shotgun-wielding friend so that he can get in range. Rifle-range-shotgun ffs...
    The user community never asked for them. I do feel that non-pumps are balanced.
  7. SgtBreastroker

If you were within 20m of the person who killed you this thread is invalid. Shotguns are meant to be CQC king.
  8. Shinrah

PA´s, the non NC players personal SCATMAX. I feel kinda cheap using it, but what other weapon allows me to regularly wipe entire squads with my LA, while having to reload once.
  9. framperton

I never knew squads only had 7 members. Last I checked, they had 12.
  10. WantedOne

"reload once"

Obviously went over your head.
    • Up x 2
  11. Killy80

Welcome to the world of Shotgunside 2.
    • Up x 1
  12. Jezs

A thread title with [BUG] followed by Overpowered, I knew this was going to be worth opening
  13. FateJH

So, where's a good medium range battle?
  14. SgtBreastroker

Create your own. I prefer medium range engagements so I don't charge bases head on. I pick off enemies from range.
  15. ent|ty

You will like this. Got level 5 Nanoweave and 5 Shield, coming around the corner having shield up, get an Uppercut in the face 1 shot. So glad I spent that 2000 extra certs to top off those two items. Sure makes a difference.

It's like this game rewards cheap kills, rather than skilled kills. Just give everyone 1 shot weapons, and we can just point at each other, hold down the spray and pray, and roll the dice to see who wins.

Hard to do if you need to clear those bastards out of A, B and C.

Favourite tactic by the enemy seems to be to cap A, B, or C, then abandon it, so that when you come in to cap it back, they can rush you with their little shotties.
    • Up x 1
  16. DrTeeth

There should not be any one-shot-kill shotguns imo.. but if there has to be, it should be at < 5 meters range. Right now the new pump can miss with 4 of its 12 pellets and still one-shot people, which extends its lethal range considerably. I don't think this is balanced.
    • Up x 1
  17. LonelyTerran

The Balance Guy after approving the Pump-Action shotguns
    [IMG]
    • Up x 6
  18. PS2Freak

very well balanced, useful in 1 case, not useful in 2 other cases.

Apply tactics to gain advantage, make distance, Ap mines, dont run around the corners, but just take a Quick look into room (for 0.1ms) first.

i play same game as you, and have no problems with shotguns, i have developed my own strategies to counter that.
  19. sauna

Exactly. There is no point in having anything else but shotguns, not if you want to be able to win at least around objectives.
    It's ******, I tell yoooooooou!
  20. ColdCheezePizza

The problem is by the time you get close enough to be able to figure out what gun they are using you're dead.

And OP it's not a bug, just a complete fail at cqc balance. I remember not that long ago when SOE employee's would defend this game against pay to win accusations by claiming every gun was a sidegrade, no one was actually naive to believe that and it was ok because most default weapons still gave you a chance, but introducing shotguns just gave all of the people that avoid P2W like the plague a reason to leave and the huge dropoff in playerbase soon after they introduced this game breaking cqc weapon backs this up.
    • Up x 1