Over-pop and planetary bonuses

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by adamts01, May 19, 2017.

1. adamts01

Over-pop is bad enough, and these OP planetary bonuses compound it. If there's a single change that can improve this game more than anything, it's balancing population. Give +20% XP for every 1% under max-pop and things will sort themselves out. And get the **** rid of 1/2 off air. Tanks at least take a while to get back in the fight, but killing an ESF just guarantees a fully loaded ESF back in the fight in 10 seconds. I want to see this game to well, fix your **** Daybreak.
    • Up x 2
  2. LordKrelas

Max pop per Hex or max server pop?
    As if it's server pop, the 'smallest' side will simply zerg whatever side is being attacked besides them for great gains.
    • Up x 1
  3. adamts01

If that's an A=B scenario, then max pop wins, and all more the reason to balance overall pop, or at least make playing for the underdog the best money maker in the game.
  4. Tankalishious

No, dont remove half off on air. Farming ESFs from the fraction that has the bonus is amazing XP/CERTvise
    • Up x 1
  5. Sazukata

My proposition is to give an XP bonus directly proportional to the pop disadvantage in the region i.e. 2:1 pop gives x2 XP. (Overpop side wouldn't get penalty, that'd be uncool) People would actually want to fight zergs for huge gains, and eventually the fight will even out due to strong incentive attracting more fighters.

But we can't have that, as that would speed up progression and people wouldn't buy boosters or membership, amirite? No way we could close the gap between vets and newbros in an aging game. /sarcasm

Edit: As for continent bonuses, they're being reworked to be less snowball-y for the winners. Let's wait see how it turns out once it drops.
  6. Demigan

extra XP boost won't sort itself out if the game isn't fun when playing against an overpop.

The devs need to look into ways to make being outpopped enjoyable. XP bonusses don't help with that much.
    • Up x 2
  7. Sazukata

Agreed on that, I just think it would make it feel less like a waste of time.

Base design and AV/V balance is of course a more notable cause of steamrolling.
  8. HisokaTheRed

Want to hear something rare? Ignore the music. Start at ~30s.

9. Liewec123

it needs to be per hex and it needs to be a pretty darn huge boost to xp/resources,
    otherwise noone will fight the filthy trid *ahem* "VS" zerg! ;)
    • Up x 3
  10. adamts01

I definitely agree with you, as much as I don't like you. But your proposals with tunnels and multiple spawn exits take a considerable amount of work. I feel like this game is on life support at this point, and if we're going to argue for any changes, they need to be within Daybreak's capability to execute. The entire point of XP bonuses isn't to pay enough to make being miserable worth it, it's to even out the playing field so these drastic pop imbalances don't happen in the first place. If a noob like me has a character for each faction and doesn't mind switching teams, I'm sure plenty of other people do as well.
  11. adamts01

Zergs have been a problem since this game existed, from what I hear. Planetside 1 looks like it minimized that issue with supply chains. The bigger the zerg, the more resources it required, and the more opportunity for small groups to hurt an overwhelming force. I want to see more small-squad tactics and fewer zerg vs zerg battles. But baby steps is all we're likely to get, so I'm cool with hex bonuses, thought that does conflict with player made bases.

We're kind of friends, but I'm disappointed with you. As one of the handful of good pilots on the server, I'd love to see you do your part to make the game better, instead of contributing to the decline in this server's player base and moral. So no, I'm not watching your video.
  12. Demigan

Ok, how about a low work addition:
    Players are capable of using a droppod terminal from the spawnroom. This is just adding a single terminal with features that are largely available already. When accessed you can droppod anywhere that's within the base region. The farther from the spawn, the less accurate your drop will be.
    Attackers will get jammers they can deploy. Once deployed they will generate an area where you can't droppod in, so they can deny access to critical area's if necessary. As an alternative to calling them jammers, just think of some kind of magnetic pulse device that pushes incoming droppods off-course. Could be massively fun actually: Droppod in, suddenly get pushed off and tumble to a completely different destination, make due with that.

Ofcourse this is only a solution to spawncamping. It's important vs a Zerg and will make it a lot more fun as you have more options, but it won't instantly make it super enjoyable to face 2:1 odds or something.

And XP bonusses haven't worked so far to even the pops, so why would it work now? And when you see that you get a massive XP boost for going there, you know it got out of hand and you are going to be outnumbered X:1.
    • Up x 1
  13. adamts01

That's all good stuff. I like most of your suggestions regarding zerging and AA. I think our conflict is you want to preserve CoD and I want more Arma.

Here's something I just came up with, since VS is currently over-pop with all 4 continents....again.... just like 3 months ago when I stopped playing. Continent lock bonuses need to mean something, otherwise there's no reason to lock a continent, with is a legitimate gripe. So how about keeping tactical planetary bonuses but give a bonus for killing a faction depending on how many continents they have locked. +20% for 1 planet, 40% for the second, and so on. Not only would that draw players to switch to the under dog, it would help players build alts if their main is over-pop.
  14. DeadlyOmen

Overpop: another one of the reasons to hate on the game instead of taking responsibility for one's own experience.

I play outpopped regularly, and love the challenge.

What is it about these forums? Why did the culture turn to such a pitiful example of entitlement syndrome?
    • Up x 1
  15. DeadlyOmen

Stopped there.

Perfect example of entitlement. You weren't a Marine. Know how I can tell? You're crying.

Have you tried Candyland? that may be more your speed.

[IMG]

Get your head screwed on straight: Every PvP game is about creating imbalance and wrecking the other guy. There are no participation trophies.

Imagine yourself in a situation where you are overpopped iIn game. What could you do (in game)?
    • Up x 1
  16. Tankalishious

^^THIS

QTF

I love being outpopped, it gives me tons of targets to farm for those juicy XP/CERTs
    • Up x 1
  17. Sazukata

"Insult is the last refuge of an exhausted intellect."
    -You
    • Up x 1
  18. DeadlyOmen

Yep.

It's not insult when it is spot-on feedback based on observation.

Thanks for remembering the quip- it should come in handy for you.
  19. adamts01

You clearly did keep reading, maybe not till the end or you'd get my point. At least I'd hope you'd get my point, maybe I'll have to draw a picture for you. There's a big difference between war and video games kid.
  20. Demigan

1: Can you explain what you mean with "want to preserve CoD"? Or better yet, just explain what exactly you disagree with so I know what you are talking about.
    2: Games are build a certain way. Making an Arma version of UT won't work well because of how the game is build. PS2 is PS2, it's neither Arma nor CoD, and I want to try and enhance the gameplay elements that I think are crucial to the game's success/why people still play it today while few triple-A games from the same time period have survived.

I don't think that making continent bonuses meaningful is going to give meaning to capturing continents. Just look at one of the biggest complaints: "If faction X is winning, players start joining faction X". While apparently not true (players don't join the winning faction, but players leave the losing one's and return later when things have settled rather than joining the winning one) it would actually start a snowball effect: If faction X is winning and has the most meaningful continent locks, then more players will stick with faction X than faction Y and Z, causing faction X to keep winning continents for a long time and reducing the population of faction Y and Z during that time.
    What you want to achieve is that players enjoy locking a continent down, having continents locked down is a different thing altogether. Players shouldn't feel forced to play on a continent because the bonus when locked down is good/meaningful and someone else having that bonus is a problem, they should play a continent because playing and getting it locked, or even losing and having someone else lock it, is enjoyable.

For the first year or two we didn't have continent bonusses or locking. We asked for continent locking as a metagame, I didn't really see any requests for bonusses to be added, that was just what SOE did.

And you know that the troll is going to reply to this, ignore him.

Don't feed the troll. There are tons of ways players can create their own challenges including being outpopped. However the current method of Zerg forming is harmful for most of the players enjoyment. Does that mean it needs to go? No. Does that mean it needs to be changed to become more enjoyable for the general populace? yes. This does not mean that your enjoyment of being outpopped will disappear, in fact it could easily be enhanced.