[Suggestion] Outpost Spawn Design (based on existing building)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Figment, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MrK

Why no window? You can deny HE spam and LA entry by making them tiny ;)
    Good for defense, and I'd like to allow inserting nasty things from exterior like flashbang and smokes ;)
  2. Figment

Because of HE spam inwards. If there's a really high ceiling which would be the only thing to hit and you'd require a direct hit, fair enough, but it's relatively compact and you have Liberators that can spam in too.

The only windows I'm thinking of is those for situational awareness (and natural light), think PS1 tech plant vehicle terminal. Just without edge to stand on. :p
  3. RasFW

I'm only just now seeing the rest of your posts/ideas in here.

Reaction: :eek:
    • Up x 2
  4. MrK

[IMG]

EDIT : and yes, I know we had a discussion about old times fortifications in modern themed FPS back then :p
    • Up x 2
  5. Figment

Well yes: loopholes, but those aren't windows. ;)
  6. Figment

Looks like some of the spawnroom design principle suggestions are creeping in. :)

Unfortunately no mention yet of the cc being reachable without outdoor movement or even inside the spawnbuilding. So could still mean we are looking at spawnbuildings like those with elevators and drops and no entry back into the room.

Something to look forward and crit next patch. Hopefully we'll get to see it before the patch for some suggestions.
    • Up x 3
  7. NovaAustralis

What do you think of having basements for the standard 'tower' design base?
    The stairwells could be near the current stairs.
    It would allow an underground area for possibly another spawn room or capture point.
    Also connecting tunnels to external capture points or out buildings.
  8. Figment

For this case, I presume we're talking about the existing, implemented PS2 tower design?

Entirely depends on the execution and length of paths (logistics). Considering the vehicle bay, connecting top and basement is a bit trickier. Especially if you would have to guide it through the vehicle bay.

I would say it'd be easier to connect that tower design with catwalks to other buildings and to redesign the upper structure to have more horizontal spawnroom exits. I think there's some internal space around and under the spawnrooms that's currently not used.
    • Up x 1
  9. Bardock-Sama

This is the most brilliant and constructive post I've seen while playing ForumSide. I applaud you, sir!
    Your designs look really great, I just want to play in those bases immediately.

+1 for great justice.
  10. NovaAustralis

Yes.

The stairs on the ground level to the first level are already in the corners. Stairs down to a basement level would just go next to them, without overly blocking the floorspace in the garage / ground level. But then there's always teleporters...

I love the idea of catwalks coming off the towers (and other structures)! They'd still be susceptible to air spam, but cool nonetheless.
  11. CDN_Wolvie

Sorry, but didn't a Dev already say they can't "dig" into the terrain? (I could be wrong because I can't be bothered to go look for a link to where I read that) Look at things that are already 'underground' or 'tunnels' in the game, it appears to get the desired effect they just put a roof over the thing. Which is fine by me, it has the desired result even if it matters little when getting to say the tunnel that is at Split Peak Pass, Amerish is across open ground from the spawn room, so unless you are already in there to not much effect in defending the place other than as a place to cower till the ground forces find you, it probably doesn't even get used all that much. Those 'tunnels' under the walls at one of Esamir's Amp stations is pretty much the same thing, slap an existing structure over a dip in the terrain is what appears to be available to them.

So to achieve 'basements', you would actually probably have to slap another floor on to the building and place it in a dip in the terrain with ramps coming out the vehicle bay - and lets be honest, we don't really know if the ground vehicle pads are capable of having anything underneath them, they are all solidly on the terrain.

You should probably factor that into any design suggestions you make ... yes, that means some of Figment's ideas are possibly unfeasible but there are still a lot of designs there that would work very well. So instead of truly underground features, 'tunnels' of connecting buildings that run over the surface of the terrain should be an attainable goal. Just something to keep in mind.
  12. Figment

Well, higby just announced they will be adding tunnels.

But imagine you create a U in the terrain, like a ditch and just cover it up. PS1 had these little sidewalks to the side of buildings, imagine you "plug" a basement attached to the upper structure into such U shaped areas and cover it up with such a "sidewalk" or deck, or whatever you'd want to call it. :)

I mean, the U, could be trenches, but could also be giant holes covering the entire courtyard of a base.

If you ever fell through the ground (which I'm sure you have) then you'd see there's nothing there. Tunnels could easily be added there, it's just an issue if access points can be created.
    • Up x 3
  13. Daedrick

Tunnels are alright, but it really isnt going to fix the real issues with base.
  14. Highduke

+1 I dont understand but it looks good.
  15. Daedrick

Bump for the love of god!
  16. Cronoc

I think a lot here would help with the base designs. My pet peeve is running through one of the modular buildings (the half circle ones connected by 2 bridges to another) with nothing in it and into a wall where by any logical design a door should be. Then I basically have to do a circle through the building to get there.
  17. Daedrick

Bump for figment.
  18. vapor1911

While discussing about base design in teamspeak we came up with a simple idea to make Biolab fights last longer than 1-5 minutes.

All SOE would need to do would be removing the teleporters from the outposts and moving them into the spawn room.
    If they do that you would only have the jump pads from the outposts to get onto the biolab, which means that MAX crashes would be important to push through the entrances. And by giving the defenders more ways to get out of the spawn the attackers would need to defend at the flag points/generator and not just spawn camp.
    • Up x 1
  19. Daedrick

bump, Im tired of bumping I wish SOE aknownledged the fact that bases need overhauls.
  20. Daedrick