[Opinion] Why I think the Hexattice-Prototype is important and should at least be tested!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DoctorWhose, Mar 5, 2013.

1. DoctorWhose

I assume everyone around here has probably heard of Malorns "Hex-Lattice"-Protoype.
    If not, check out numerous threads around here, one of the latest being: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...to-the-prototype-hex-system-are-wrong.100415/

Now, I already stated my opinion on this several times, but one thing is important enough that it, in my opinion, warrants its own thread.

First of all, the PROBLEM:

One of my big problems with PS2 is, who would have guessed, the almost complete absence of any sort of defense. No, I dont mean spawning into the spawn room and shooting out of the spawn fortress, thats not what I mean.

I can safely say 99% of the so-called defense in PS2 is only REACTIONARY! You always arrive at a base AFTER the enemy starts attacking.
    While in the end the result might be the same, what this game definetly needs to achieve Planetside-feeling is PREPARED DEFENSE.

Who didnt like the battle for Helms Deep in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, where people hastily prepared a defense, went up to the wall to prepare to fight an enemy that outnumbered them?
    Gandalf in the end was basically how defense works in PS2. Arrive when the Zerg has almost overwhelmed the base and only then defend it.

The new "Hexattice"-Prototype, as I call it, will IMO help to create this. When you loose a base along a line, you can safely fall back to the next one and still prepare. You can still be hit from all angles, but at least you know they HAVE to take THIS base, and not the 3 other bases around you.

The main arguments the opposition to this new system brings forwards is that this system would

1. Somewhat reduce effectivity of smaller groups

2. Make flanking/"feinting"/*insert "advanced" tactic/strategy here* pointless

3. Creates more meatgrinders

Now let me respond to these claims as far as I can.

1. This is in fact wrong. You know what a small group can do here? While the defenders are preparing/defending the base, obviously oriented towards where the zerg is coming from you can sneak up from behind and stir up their lines.
    With the current system defenders anticipate attacks from ALL sides, because its possible to advance from all sides.

2. Pffff sorry but, since when did those exist in ZergCrownTiAlloysIndarside 2? Be honest with yourself, at the end of the day all you do is zerg anyway and any advanced tactic only exists in your head. How could we even do such maneuvers without any planning tools at hand?

3. Only half-right. It would actually take traffic off the major meatgrinders and distribute the meaty grind. Right now the meatgrind always happens at the Crown or Ti Alloys. With the new system in place those two will only be a base in a chain of bases to be capped, and not the place every Indar Zerg converges on.

Well, feel free to disagree with me, I dont even care, I just felt like this topic somehow needed a thread.

2. sladuog

It's a system which fits better than the open hex system we have now in the future state of the game, which should have proper inter-continental warfare.