Operation: Make Faster Game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by codeForge, Sep 10, 2013.

1. St0mpy

why would I do that?

heres an idea for you, why not work out what you should be doing rather than the rest of us? ;)
  2. bristolbulldog

You mentioned and users will see significant benefits, but not Intel. Is this possibly related in some way to amd 's "mantle" API?
  3. Chipay

I don't know in what world you live in, but both intel and AMD have multiple cores
  4. bristolbulldog

Your being a bit of a moron. That was exactly what I asked lol.
  5. Chipay

If you're going to insult someone, at least try to spell 'You're' right.
    Both intel and AMD have multiple cores, this optimization brings improvements to CPU's using multiple cores (4 or less and 4 or more, as stated in the OP).
  6. redmamba

I already have a well payed job. What's your point?
  7. B1ackops

That over lapping 20% is known as magic.
  8. THUGGERNAUT

today's propaganda video was decent for a change. they should put that Amit Patel guy in charge, he's the first SOE employee they've interviewed who actually seems to know what he's talking about, and the first one actually doing something useful.
  9. VonStalin

Make game faster, not only fps!
    I mean, zoom in time is way to long...
    Switching guns takes to long...

Has anyone played counter strike? Do you know how fast guns switch when you press Q? You can tap qqqqqq and guns just switch as fast as you can see them. This makes gameplay much more involving. Little things DOES MATTER.
    Zoom in time. You cant play with sniper rifle in close combats. Thats bad. It would be real FUN if you could zoom in as fast as you can shoot. It would require some skills, but that makes the game only much more FUN.
    Player movement speed. Player moves like an old lady. Ok, he is running fast enough, but the time it takes to change direction from left to right is more like MAX than the actual solder should move, from forward to backward and so is to long, player movements should be MUCH more agile-responsive to have more FUN.

*Faster zoom in time.
    *Faster guns switching.
    *Faster player movement response.
  10. MichaelS

these things are in for weapon balance. the speed of guns and ppl is related to the networking.

€: just a few more words to the 2nd video. while i believe the programmers doing all the can to make a good game in the given timeframe, this kind of meetings and work belong to a pre release stage. The version number v0.11.79.242387 of PS is there on purpose.
  11. Mightywoosh

I welcome the optimisations, the cynical part of my brain goes is the main incentive for this because it makes good practice or because they needed to do some much overdue house cleaning before porting onto PS4.

Either way we benefit, I'm just not use to seeing an MMO dev team give monkies this far into a games life (but it's great to see)
    • Up x 1
  12. MrMojay

Just watched the second video and was just wondering about the mini map and hud and was wondering about the changes being made, will this affect the mini+main map and hud to display stuff in realtime, will the changes make the maps and hud slower to react to changes in the game.
  13. Zorro

This is terrific! Not only will it improve overall gaming experience but it will also enable the developers to add new features that would otherwise be performance compromising. It's a win-win!
  14. Zorro

First of all, this belongs in a suggestion thread, not here. Second, this is not Counter-strike. Planetside 2 is a realistic game and thus switching and scoping should be as fast as it is in real life. The current speed is perfect. Sniper rifles are not for close combat.

I do agree, however, to increase player movement, and that lighter classes should be much more agile.
  15. NorthernFist

Hmm, I like your "Make Game Faster" episodes ;)

Hopefully you get the fps-issue fixed.
    • Up x 1
  16. Mianera

Hey development team,

GREAT initiative, it is really truly rare that you actually see developers managing to persuade the company to go down this course to please their fanbase.

Most companies have the philosophy that more content and new stuff in the store = players continuously playing the game.

But as I am sure you are aware of, that is not the truth. Not the truth at all, many games have died because of this and not only F2P games. SWTOR and BSGO will never recover from their mistakes for example.

Now for some feedback!

After watching the vids and reading the posts and I have to say that I only have one concern here. This being primarily the three things.

The engine:

- It is kinda old and only serves the purpose of not leaving players on older rigs behind. I know that most companies keep their games on engines that as many players as possible can play so that they don't lose any or leave any behind because their personal rigs are not up to the task of running the game. But here's a sad fact. Any PC with Vista or XP, 4 gigs of ram and a CPU below 2,5 will not now or ever be able to run the game. You've already left them behind and we are okay with it. We have upgraded and we are waiting (speaking for the majority here). You need to update your system requirements section in regards to this game because right now they are unfortunately a lie. That I am not okay with, the minimum requires will be able to boot the game, sure... but people with min req. on their rigs will ahve 5-10 fps and major overall lag on everything. That doesn't count as playing the game. After reading the general forums posts it is pretty obvious that a lot of players are wondering why there isn't a 64 bit version of the client.

64 bit users:

- Since Sony (I am guessing) here didn't wish to leave the 32 bit OS users behind the game currently stands in a void between 32 and 64 bit users. The 32 bit users cannot run the game optimally (not even by a longshot) and the 64 bit users are limited by it and therefore cannot run it optimally either. The game isn't smooth for anyone. The 64 bit users sit there with their powerful CPU's, unparked cores, memory edit programs desperately trying to allow the game to use more than 3 gigs of ram and the game wont let them. A priority should be to allow the game to utilize more CPU, GPU and RAM all together, not trying to fix it for everone to begin with. I know that might sound selffish but when thinking about who can actually play the game currently, it really isn't. Let the power rigs use their force to run the game, let them fully utilize their cores and ram power. Then start fixing and tweaking it for those "left behind".

Physics and tweaking:

- Sorry, but this will only get you so far before you will need to start removing the effects all together. Sure, you may make it so that some of the visual effects, features and graphics can be disabled so that those on low end rigs will run it smoother but again I have to say. Why not just fix them, make them work so that high end rigs can use their force to run them first them implement the lower settings/disable option for those that cant?

Most people think that their rigs cant run the game because they aren't powerful enough. Which isn't true, the game just isn't optimized for them. This strange void the game sits in now where neither powerful or slow rigs can run it properly is just silly. Most of us have upgraded to 2+ cores, 2,7+ cpu, 1g+ GPU, ssd, 4+gigs ram. And as we now, the min and recommended req. are NOT enough to run the game anyway.

The questions at the end here are all about priority:
    - Is the priority to to make the game available for those on low end rigs and still sitting on XP or Vista?
    - Is the priority to improve the current settings in a attempt to bring everyone forward unrealistically to the future? (I mean, I am afraid that you might be going with this option but I certainly hope not since it is the slowest and most unrealistic one)
    - Is the priority to think of what gamers will be sitting on in 6-12 months from now on and utilizing the power of the average current gamer rig of the 21st century can produce?

I know that you have good intentions, it's always sad to see that old OS or PC go. I am a true fan of Windows XP for example and it hurt having to let go but I wanted that extra ram, overall force and stability, security and DX11. Because that was an improvement. But I let go years ago.

SOE and developers. It's time to let go. Say goodbye to Vista, XP, the old single core processor, the 256 mb DDR1/2 ram and GPU, dx9c... put them in a display box or bury them with a Star Trek funeral then come join the rest of us in the 21st century of gaming. I know it's not easy, but it has to be done. k?
    k....

kthxbai
    • Up x 2
  17. Narukai

Awesome! Sounds like us 8 core (AMD Master race) users are going to see some major improvements in CPU utilization.
  18. MichaelS

What's wrong with vista? Yes, it's not as nice in look and feel compared to win7 but it's 64bit if you have an installation DVD.
  19. BITES

Lots ... its basically the Windows 'ME' of the 64bit windows OS range.
  20. BranC187

When Vista came out it was ****. But after all the updates its actually a fairly decent OS now. I still would never run it on a modern PC though just because its now 2 generations old. Kinda like XP, great OS but its showing its age and I would never go back to it.

As for the OP. This is great! I'm not asking for miracles, I just want my FPS to maintain at least 30 in large battles, where right now it dips into the low 20's, so I am very much looking forward to these optimization updates!

GTX 660
    FX 8150
    8gb