Ongoing joystick sensitivity issues [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by LazySpoon, Aug 10, 2013.

1. LazySpoon

A little history:
    Some of us out there are really quite comfortable being in the skies, but the mouse/keyboard option isn't available for us (for whatever reason, albeit comfort or utility). That's when we decide to get joysticks. So, we take to the skies at the mercy of SOE's joystick code.

We have come to find, however, that it has been less than acceptable, as sensitivity can be a huge issue. Go past 10% on your stick and you find your ship flailing about like a hormonal teenage girl at a Justin Beiber spitting exhibi-er... concert.

The workaround in the past has been to go into the useroptions.ini file and set "JoystickSensitivity=x.xxxxxx" to a value less than 1 (for example, 0.800000). With some patch about 4 months ago, near the time of GU1 (or at that particular patch, I can't remember), the .ini file kept being overwritten to sensitivity 1.000000 at *every* step of the game (@patch launch, @game launch, @login). This caused many of us to be essentially grounded, as piloting became even more of a chore than it had to be. It even caused me to uninstall (as the only respite to the VS's close-quartered handicap was to get in the air and at least challenge myself with dominating the skies), for lack of inner peace.

But finally, there is a solution.

These are currently not solutions:
    -Setting the .ini to read-only (this doesn't work anymore... for a short time it did, but now PS2 overrides any JoystickSensitivity setting here
    -Using xPadder to set your joystick axes as mouse axes--Okay, this MIGHT be a solution if you're okay with the steep curve it imposes on input value translation. To me, it felt wrong and did not suit my needs for precision aiming. xPadder WOULD however work, as a solution to those of you who can't get your hat-switches to work. Get it to recognize your hat-switch array and assign them to the arrow keys. Tada!.
    -Turning your joystick into a cross-room projectile.

Solution:
    DXTweak2 (link below)

Step 1: Know your preferred sensitivity value. Get a number you think will be close to what you want. This can be anything >1, <0, or >1.5 (maximum setting in PS2).
    Step 2: Close planetside. You will not be able to edit these numbers on the fly. They modify your calibration at a near-driver level. These settings CAN be reset easily.
    Step 3: Download DXTweak2 @ http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm
    Step 4: Open DXTweak2 (wherever you saved it).
    Step 5: Select your controller (in the upper left). If you can't find it, make sure your drivers are up to date. This should detect whatever windows recognizes. If you can't determine what it is because of a weird name or multiple controllers, there's a utility called "JoyIDs Utility" on the aforementioned gadgets page that may help.
    Step 6: Move around your controller and make sure the sliders respond accordingly. Both the red and black arrows should move together.
    Step 7: Do some math. For example, Let's say I like my sensitivity at about .75 for my flight stick. Given values of 0-1023 (essentially, 1024), the math goes like this:

1 / 0.75 = 1.3333... [To determine our input "ratio"]
    1.3333 * 1024 = 1365.3333.... [To get the "full range of motion" value]
    1365.3333... / 2 = 682.6666.... (Rounded @ this point is 683) [This gives us our "distance from median" modifier value]
    512 - 683 = -171 [Our "minimum" calibration value] (lower is less sensitive)
    512 + 683 = 1195 [Our "maximum" calibration value] (higher is less sensitive)

Step 8: Adjust your x-axis and y-axis values (tabs on the right) according to the values you've determined above. Each axis can be adjusted according to your preference.

When you input these values, you should see that when you push your flight stick in any direction, the sliders on the left show the red arrow position (your raw, physical input) translating to 75% of the black arrow position ("DirectInput" values).

-Note-: These values will *stay* after the program has closed. What you're doing here is something like directly changing driver-layer (or something) calibration values. Resetting is easy, but I tried saving a profile, and it crashed. Maybe save a text file with your values in it, just case you need to swap around sensitivities between games or something.

Step 9: Start Planetside 2. Go test 'em out. If it's not quite up to spec, exit planetside 2 and start at step 6-ish again.
    Step 10: If this is useful to you, go to http://twitch.tv/lazyspoon and hit that follow button. I like new people and you can come and make fun of my badness :D. I stream at random times.

I hope this works for you. It is a freakin' lifesaver for me. See you in the skies! (Purple for Vanu pride!)
  2. Duvenel

I hope this works for everyone, but in the case that it doesn't can people that do have a controller/joystick or anything that isn't KB/M just post a 'confirmed' for their model and make of controller. It'll mean that people many many months/years down the line can see whether or not their product will work if SOE haven't implemented working controls for them by then.
  3. LazySpoon

Confirmed: Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X
  4. Domination67

Still Work?
  5. LazySpoon

So far, nothing has changed, this fix is still good on my end.
  6. Syntox

Hi,

Just wanted to say Thanks! LazySpoon for this fix. It's working perfectly for me with my old Logitech Attack 3D on Windows 8.1.
    Can finally start playing this game!
    Cheers again.
  7. Valgorn

Im currently trying to get my Hotas x to work, do you still use yours? and if so would you be able to send the DTweak2 file over using dropbox or something? Or some other solution if you no long us that one.
  8. LazySpoon

I actually recently reinstalled PS2 in the hopes of getting some more flight time in and seeing the changes, etc. I was unable to get PS2 to recognize my Hotas X after several attempts and modifications, and resorted to uninstallation out of frustration. Sorry, I think they broke something again.
  9. Sunflash

Joysticks and all non-mice/keyboard controllers are currently 95% broken thanks to the stupid PS4 port they're doing.

You know Sony; gotta make things work for their precious console and screw over PC gamers. *shrug*
  10. SierraAR

Current link for dxtweak2 is broken, found an alternate download, with a version that can save profiles, here:

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/misc-24/dx-tweak-2-v4-30-229-1506.html?action=download&hl=
    Virus scan on the file: http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/21cb1465ab6213170ec431d5ab45235c54f71c6f

Unfortunately, as planetside 2 seems to no longer properly register anything you do on a joystick (No matter what direction I move it, the keybinding thinks I'm tilting left), joystick/controller support is pretty much none.
  11. tgreg

XBox 360 controller with DXTweak set up and PS2 ignores everything I set, even though Win10 controller properties show the sensitivity I configured. It is as if PS2 is deliberately programmed to ignore Direct input values and instead use Raw input
    • Up x 1