[Suggestion] On the topic of scout rifles.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zeke342, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Zeke342

So today I decided to give the new and improved scout rifles a whirl, and I was both surprised and disappointed.

http://i.imgur.com/50z77jh.jpg

35 of the 49 kills were all Artemis (the rest were prox mines/frags) :) with supressor, forward grip, and a mixture of NV scope and 3.4x red dot scope.
    Now... in comparison to the old Artemis this thing is a beast. However, the old Artemis was outclassed by a pistol pretty much :/ which made it extremely disappointing to buy and use.

The benefits of it (these are all what I EXPERIENCED, actual stats on a spreadsheet may differ).
    -Fast TTK.
    -Has a very decent range.
    -High ROF.
    -Very accurate/low CoF.

The cons.
    -PAINFULLY low mag size.
    -First shot recoil makes it essentially useless at range against any target with the awareness to move.
    -The vertical recoil seems to be a bit much.. may just require a bit more use.
    -The 50 round SMG still outclasses the gun in every way, perhaps not on a spread sheet, but in actual gameplay, the Artemis would not be a favorable choice in any real situation to an SMG.
    -Hipfire accuracy is very low, useless at 15m+.

In my opinion, the gun is not finished. It still needs some VERY minor improvements. The ONLY thing that is making this gun unbalanced is the mag size. 24 rounds with a high RoF is enough for one kill but I don't think I ever managed more than one kill without reloading.

The ideal couple fixes (in my opinion) would be,
    -a 35-40 round mag. It's mid range so it should not have a LARGE mag like the SMG.
    -A lower first shot recoil. That initial kick is what is making it hard to use at mid range.. most of my kills were close range kills.

As for the Nyx (semi-auto). The gun was never "terrible" to begin with in my opinion. It's a mid range sniper, with low recoil, high damage, and a high mag size. I never had any issues with this one.. not sure why a buff was necessary for it. It has essentially made the Phantom outclassed and a poor selection for any situation.

Please Note. Just because I'm saying the Artemis does not mean I don't mean ALL scout rifles. They're identical as far as I know.. I just don't know the names of the NC and TR scout rifles. Mostly because I don't think they've ever killed me.

2. The King

I can put a lot of bullets into a guy towards his back while he is running.
    And then I think he is dead so I start reloading. Generally, that amount of bullets would kill anyone but with this gun, it is never enough even though I put nearly the whole clip into a guy. (it's hard to see the head when they're running away from you with their backpacks)

To me, it's not that great.
    It's just extremely weak.

Trying to kill at a range is not really reliable. NC's SAW is tons better IMO.

Wish I got the Nyx instead. But oh well, it's the last infiltrator item to get for me.
  3. SpaceKing

The Vanu's lack of bullet drop makes it's scout rifle pretty nice, but for TR the semi-auto's bullet with suppressor will drop to the floor in less than 50 meters.
  4. Phyr

I think the Nyx needed a ROF buff and maybe remove the rifle sway. Still not worth picking up imo, but I probably would if it was common pool among classes.
  5. Vikarius

Yea not sure why you would say the Nyx is good. I would take ANY of the ARs...Carbines....LMGs...and even SMGs over it any day of the week, and I can't be the only one.
    I will agree with you on the Artemis part though, a few more tweaks and it will feel just like an AR... I'd say increasing it to 167 damage with a 143 minimum is probably a better choice then increasing mag size.
    the Nyx will really only ever be useful / or rather not outshined by every other weapon If it was basically given HV ammo and SP ammo choices, or so little recoil that you could plant 2-3 shots on the target as fast as you can click the mouse
  6. Zeke342

If I were an infiltrator, I would also take any AR, carbine, LMG, or SMG over the Nyx.
    It's apples an oranges... the Nyx is a mid range semi-auto sniper rifle. Not an automatic weapon :/

The Nyx is now perfectly fine.. Unless you believe the Phantom also needs a buff?
    The gun is situational.
    With less damage, higher RoF, a SIGNIFICANTLY higher hipfire accuracy, faster reload, all around more ammunition, and 25m/ps less velocity, and not to mention the big one... no sway at all.
    PLUS, On top of the lack of sway... you can also get a 6x scope. The phantom only has the damage going for it really.. can't get anything more than a 4x scope for a mid range sniper that has sway.

Why buff the Nyx any further? Anymore buffs and it will be equivalent to a long range semi-auto. If you want to use a long range semi-auto than use one... the Nyx is not made for the role.

The game is about SIDE grades... anything more done to the Nyx and it would be an overall upgrade from the Phantom, and in the same class as long-range semi-autos. I'm all for buffing things endlessly... but not at the expense of the game. The Nyx and the Phantom fit their roles perfectly at the moment, even though the Nyx is DEFINITELY a superior choice.. with probably a 1-2 bullet difference from the Phantom as far as TTK goes.. the accurate players will use the Phantom and the less accurate will use the Nyx.
    The soft point ammo will do nothing but make it take one less bullet at close range.. and the velocity of the gun is already at 500m/s.
    500m would definitely be between mid and long range.. The Nyx definitely isn't intended for anything outside 500m

As for the Artemis, the damage is fine.
    It already deals more damage than the 50 mag SMG, with MUCH less damage drop off at further range.
    and it does equal damage to the 25 mag SMG, with still MUCH less less damage drop off at further range.

The Artemis is mid range and I think the more appropriate buff would be a mag increase to be somewhere in between the 50 and 25 mag SMG. The 25 mag SMG is already rarely used :/ The Artemis needs to be a viable alternative to the 50 mag SMG. The damage is already superior to both SMGs and with the tight CoF the only downside to the Artemis is the low hip fire accuracy (which is appropriate.. it's mid-range not close) and the low mag size.

The reason for the mag size buff is because, being a mid range weapon, it's more likely you'll miss your shots. Especially with the first-shot recoil that the Artemis has.. with the low mag size it almost encourage close-range engagements.. which in every situation at close range the SMG will dominate.. and if you aren't accurate the 50 round SMG will still dominate even at mid-range.

To address someone who mentioned the bullet drop.
    As a VS who would like balance, there are SEVERAL of our guns that should have bullet drop.
    Shot guns, scout rifles, and battle rifles primarily.

Typed way more than was probably necessary :/