On changing already balanced and working weapons...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BengalTiger, May 23, 2013.

1. BengalTiger

Infiltrators began their career with sniper rifles of various types.
    Then SOE decided- Let there be change!

So the Infiltrator's sniper guns were supplemented with submachine guns, allowing the player to choose if he or she wants a single shot, high damage gun, or maybe one that spits bullets like crazy, but fails at long range.
    This gave diversity and customization for the class, probably thousands of people spent $7 each to unlock the SMGs for their Infiltrators.

Tanks began their career with one empire specific anti-vehicle weapon.
    Then SOE decided- Let there be change!

So tanks got their ES weapon supplemented by the new design, allowing the player to choose...
    Oh, wait...

Why did the new versions of the Saron and Enforcer replace the existing ones, rather than being added as something new to the arsenal, which probably thousands of people would buy for $7 each?

Is it because SOE wants players to have a bad surprise once in a while (the Enforcer used to be the weapon for combating AV MANA turrets, it gave the long range AP cannon an additional long range punch thanks to accurate, high velocity missiles; now it's useless for both purposes)?

Is it because SOE doesn't want players to spend SC on a new weapon if they find it'll fit their modus operandi better than the existing one?
  2. CrimsonDaemon

I think SOE believed that the Halberd was good enough at what it did and decided that since each faction had an ES secondary, they would make them more like the vulcan where they shoot more and have more room for error. Though I sincerely hate the fact that people can buy a product in game only to have it be changed to something completely different without refunding the money or certs. That doesn't sit right with me.