OMFG:PU01 - Status Update

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by codeForge, Nov 5, 2013.

1. blueangleofdeath

QA and everybody else can only do so much without us players to find bugs. You do realize this don't you?
  2. Airazor

That's what I am doing, I am playing Half Life 2 and it's episodes. I was flirting with the idea of playing the Mass Effect series from the start again too.

I was getting extremely bored of Planetside 2's base capture and numbers game. That and I was starting to get mad at my outfit members ever time we died for some random reason. My frames are terrible in this game, I can't even believe I spent 700+ hours in this game with only 10-20fps all the time. I used to be happy and laugh at everything in game, now I am cynical and angry at everything.

Anyways, distraction is needed indeed. Something with story and perfect frames helps :) I just hope to the gaming devs that when I do come back and install this "OMGF part 1" I reallllllly hope to get constant 20-40 fps if humanly possible. I would like to actually contribute to my Outfit and kick *** in major battles then tucking my tail and shooting from the outside looking in.
  3. MrMurdok

[IMG]

Regardless, I'll actually be able to participate on tonight's night test on the PTS. I appriciate the code monkeys' willingness to release a 100% polished patch.
  4. Aldaris

Play test server announcements, you know, the sub forum where I said it would be? First stickied post. Found using forum search. Took 30 seconds tops to find.

As for it being QAs job, yes it is, but when you're given avenues to provide feedback and help them find stuff that QA misses and don't use it, you don't have much room to complain.
  5. whitupiggu

A single sentence at the bottom of a long post explaining server policies. You'd have no reason to believe a link would be there.

Considering it took 30 minutes to respond I doubt it was actually 30 seconds.
    • Up x 1
  6. Ttariel

Ah well, i guess i join the pts and test some player then.
  7. daniel696

A post made at 5 am (-3, 2 AM), you guys don't sleep ? Jesus Christ I'll begin to complain less...
  8. FocusLight

Your missing the point - you have been asked to help out. This can be achieved in a variety of ways on the PTS - logging in and playing, in itself is helping out even if it only helps to stress-test the changes and see if FPS holds up under heavy load. IF you report any bugs you find, welp, that's up to you to decide. It would help out as well.

Your problem however is that, like most people you want performance increases, but your personal attitude is that you would rather sit back and wait for it - "because it's not my job" - when an option is available to be proactive and help bring it about. Ergo, your inaction in the face of a better option lose you the right to complain about any bugs or FPS drops when this goes live - after all, you didn't lift a finger to help make it better.
    • Up x 2
  9. RHINO_Mk.II

You were a fool to think it was a deadline in the first place when they said many times it was an estimate.
  10. R3dBeaver

I logged to PTS last night trying to replicate the hitching.... doesn't work at all. never hitched.

but the problem is, it was around midnight EST, which should be prime-time for both coasts of north america, and there's barely anyone there.

i got bored in 15 minutes after practicing my scythe...

Sleeping not required.
  11. darkstarzx2

They need us players to help them because every player's system is different, and thus can experience different problems. Over half the bugs found in this game since the day if was released were found because actual players reported them. If we never reported any bugs, glitches, or crashes, this game would have been abandoned at beta.

So, if you never report any of the bugs you find that could possibly only be affecting you, then when O:MFG actually does come out and you crash on startup, you have no right to complain since you had every opportunity to fix it, but refused to.
    • Up x 1
  12. Aldaris

Why wouldn't you? Stickied posts are usually the first and best place to start looking.

Wow, so because I went away from the computer for 30 minutes, somehow makes what I said invalid? Ugh. Ok. Whatever you say genius.
  13. R3dBeaver

This thread should be stickied.
  14. MichaelS

who surfs the forum with signatures on? its just waste of bandwidth.

but back to OMFG the first week on the testserver was full nonsense and ill guess it was only released to please the crowd. the patch contains so much new stuff that isn't explained (UI visual redesign, Biolabs, vehicle redesign), there were no instruction what to test.

there are still the problems with resources on the testserver because ppl think they need to capture whole indar for their faction. so before you can start with testbattles you need 20 min of recapture time.

the overall result on lowend AMD quadcore (but much over minimum requirement) is still not impressive, so that we don't see a massive comback of ppl that leave because of the bad performance.

the next 6 weeks until holiday season will be filled with "balancing GUs" (and hats ;).
    • Up x 1
  15. stalkish

Lol ye, youd think it would be a standard thing in all devs signatures to have a link to test server, especially when they are begging us to play on it.

On point, glad to hear OMFG is going well. Its a wounder the patch has been pushed back but it means a better patch when released, unless of course they are doing as someone earlier said and pulling the carrot string for some other reason.
  16. whitupiggu

If SOE wants me to test a patch they should make it easy for me to do so. I should not have to dig through the forums to look for a link. It is not my job to test their patches and if they are going to ask me to do their job they should make it as convenient for me as possible.

Care to explain how anyone would believe a several paragraph post containing their server policies would have a link at the bottom to the test client? Anyone who read the title of the thread and just glanced at it would assume it is exactly what the title says. The server policies and nothing more.
  17. WyrdHarper

See, that's exactly my problem with this part. After a a month and a half, this patch is providing the biggest benefit to people who were already getting good FPS. We see a lot of threads about people going from 70>110, or 45 in big battles to 60. That's great; however, going from 20>30 or 30>40 during low pops isn't going to be bringing back the people who quit playing because of bad performance. I've got a number of people in my outfit that are waiting for optimization because their performance in the last few months dropped so much the game became unplayable (which isn't just their systems--every content patch seemed to drop performance for a lot of people; heck, I was unable to play the game b/c of my summer job from June-August where my computer was completely untouched, and my avg FPS dropped by 10 frames, despite the only big thing that happened was the Esamir lattice and nosegun rebalance, things that really shouldn't have dropped my performance on Indar and Amerish) and I don't see the current optimization patch making enough difference to bring those guys back, or to make it much easier for new players.

We'll see how it goes when it actually hits live; I think the live servers tend to give better performance (at least they have in my experience for whatever reason) than the test server, and so I'm hoping the smoothing and better stability and better FPS will be more pronounced there, at least enough that I'll start seeing people coming back.
    • Up x 1
  18. Commandant042

Well look at the bright side guys! Last time I was on test server I had random crashes. That never happens to me, so imagine if they threw out an "optimization patch" that only made the game worse. They want to deliver the best they can with making the game faster. Just like Blizzard took 12 years to make Starcraft II, it was worth it. Just like they delayed Watch Dogs, it will be worth it. I am sure that they didn't delay just because they wanted to piss off all the players.
  19. Aldaris

They have made it convenient! Without shoving it in your face every time they post, I fail to see what more they can do. Care to explain why you wouldn't find it? Because I did in 30 seconds.
  20. whitupiggu

They have posted on the forums, on twitter, and sent emails. None contain a link to the test client. If you do not already visit these forums, and most people that play this game don't, you'd have no idea where to find the link without a google search.

You also failed to explain why someone would read "Read First: Test Server Policies" and assume it had a link to the client.