Old player, new to LA... trying to assimilate

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Uncle_Lou, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Uncle_Lou

Sorry, short novel incoming:

I have to preface this by saying that I HATE LAs with a passion. I think they are all scum, mostly because on those random occasions when I forget to look up I wind up with a bullet in the brain pan or a brick of C-4 in my pocket. This admittedly irrational bias has kept me from using the class - I think I have maybe 6 hours as LA since Beta, and good chunk of that is probably because I died as a MAX.

All that having been said, I had some certs to play with and started unlocking stuff for LA on both my TR and NC characters and started monkeying around a bit. Had a LOT of fun as a TR, not so much as NC in the few hours I have messed around. Trouble is, I'm not sure if my experience is due to the situation or the equipment I was using. Obviously the sample size is very small yet, but I was hoping for some tips or advice. I've been through Iridar's guide a couple of times (love all the guides, btw!) and now am hungry for more info.

First, I have maxed jumpjets and C4 for both and have a good selection of weapons available.

When I first started fooling around with the TR LA, we were assaulting a tower. I LOVE the TR Carbines, and was hopping up levels, down levels, flying in dakka dakka flying out; grenades, C4, whatever. I had a blast, wound up with a 2+ kdr just derping around. Nothing spectacular but it was fun.

Next time I played I tried NC LA, defending a bio lab. I dislike the NC carbines, and while the Cyclone is a beast I wasn't having a ton of success with it. Wound up with a <1 kdr, got frustrated and swapped to another class. Now I don't play just for kdr, but it is one way for me to measure how I am playing.

So I have a couple of thoughts. First, assaulting the tower provides a great deal more opportunity for unexpected angles and avenues to attack the defenders. Once inside a bio lab, there are only a few high places and everyone knows where they are so it is tougher to be unpredictable (at least for a novice LA). I think that is the first part of my lower performance as NC.

Second is the weapon choices... IMO the TR carbines are outstanding - they may not hit super hard but they put so much lead downrange it doesn't matter. They just "work" for me. The NC carbines just don't - I felt like with the NC carbines I had to hit a headshot every time to have success. That plus the lower rate of fire the punishment for missing a shot is harsh. The GD-7F is fun but I don't find it reliable, and the ammo count is hideously low. Played around with the Bandit, Razor, and Merc and not really thrilled with any of them. Going to give the Gauss-S carbine a go I think, maybe some UBGL fun.

I'm sorry this is so long, I didn't mean for it to be... If you got this far thanks for sticking with me. I guess where I'm going with this is here:

1. How do you find new ways to be sneaky when half the playerbase has LA'd to that same roof a billion times?
    2. How much does the strategic and tactical situation dictate weapon choice? Defending vs attacking, Amp vs Bio, etc.
    3. Am I going to find a NC Carbine or SMG that actually feels fun and effective?

I think there is great potential for fun for me playing as LA, you really are forced to out think the other guy... Must experiment more!!

Thanks for any tips/advice
  2. Iridar51

You're not wrong, you know :D
    There are no new ways to be sneaky, there's only the old one: don't be where the enemy would expect you to be. This is relatively easy to do by staying away from the front lines, and attacking them from the sides instead.
    Often this boils down to just staying as far away from your allies, so no one will attract enemy's attention in your direction.

Best positions for LA are a highly situational thing. A perfect position can become terrible in a heartbeat. The golden rule is to never stay in one place for long. Usually, first shots fired in your direction are your cue to leave.

Let's take a look at a hypothetical situation:
    [IMG]

Sitrep: fight for a base. For now doesn't matter who's attacking or who's defending, because most often both sides just attack each other at the same time, and a natural front line forms. Usually this happens when there's an open ground between pieces of cover. If anyone tries to leave the cover and advance further, he gets killed, and neither of the sides can advance without outside help. It is your job to be that outside help.

Green circles mark different possible positions you can take.
    (1) - a position on the roof of the objective building. Usually not a good place to be, especially if there's no railing to protect you.
    Enemy is pushing to that same building, and he will see you on that roof.
    (2) - a position behind/on top of cover near your allies. There's no point in being there, unless you're looking to make some plays with a short ranged weapon while jumping around and above that cover. Risky.
    (3) - a position on the roof of the building behind which is enemy spawn. Makes sense only if that spawn is a Sunderer, not a spawn room. Extremely dangerous place to be, unless your allies have already taken this building. Otherwise, better don't even go there, but if there are no enemies in that building, you can try to do a crazy stunt and drop C4 at enemy sundy, or jump around and disrupt stuff, maybe kill some snipers / engis behind turrets. But be ready to exfiltrate with a high tail.
    (4) - a flanking position on the assaulting enemy. Better than before, but still kinda dangerous, because enemies will still look in that general direction as they are moving to the objective building.
    (5) - a flanking position on enemies' backs. Offers best view of the target, as they will be wide open before you. Fish in a barrel. But there's a downside - by this time you're so far away from allies, that you risk being flanked yourself. Extremely rewarding to visit here once in a while.

Defending vs. attacking doesn't really matter, as I said. Type of base matters more.
    Carbines work well everywhere, as it is the most versatile weapon class available to us.
    For a tower fight, or any base with lots of fighting in tight quarters might want to switch to shotguns.
    SMGs are inferior to carbines, so don't even bother unless you're looking for a challenge.
    Entirely depends on you. Only one thing I can say with certainty - your perception of weapons will change as you gain more experience with them, and just because you don't like a certain weapon now, doesn't mean you won't like it later.
    • Up x 1
  3. Caydn

Don't use a cyclone its a mid range gun , go the blitz or mkv they good for close or mid , for carbine the gd7f
  4. SupaFlea

Howdy :)

Its nice to see another decent LA who isn't one of the many who help rack up the bad MO we have as LA or Versatile Pain In The A** as I tend to think of us :)

I have put almost all of my time in to LA, 70% in LA, 20% Snipefiltrator and 10% others. Let me start by saying I'm a bit like you, I don't play for K/D but play for success and fun, I am pretty good toe to toe on the ground vs all classes even Panic button Heavies but the think about the LA I liked was the ability for versatility and even adaptability to the situations. The only time I find LA kinda thumb twiddling is when its those large zerg charges from base to base when there is a fare distance in the open with no cover.

It does sound probably obvious and probably a little silly to say but for me my slightly unorthodox slightly reckless outside the box unexpectedness is what make the class shine for me. I still am able to lead ppl in to C4 ambushed because i still use them in odd places like the top of door frames blasting down, remote land minds that you lure vehicles in to try and run you over etc. Think outside the box for the class and ppl wont expect it.

I myself have several kits I run but my main weapons I enjoy are Jaguar, NS 11-C, Hailstorm and Uppercut with attachment varying on situation (Solo/Squad)

Despite how many ppl shunt the silencer it can be the difference between sneaking up on a mountain of snipers and remaining undetected in the gunfire or get one maybe 2 kills and alerting everyone your there.

my usual running kit is Jumpjets 5, Nano armour 5, C4 x2, Regen lvl1
    Jaguar 1X Scope, Bare barrel in day or FS or SS during the night, Adv Laser Sight, SPA standard.

Never underestimate the Jags ability to land multiple headshots from Hipfire even at 20ft