Official statement for "Clever use of gameplay mechanics"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HonkSam, Jun 2, 2013.

1. IwasDH

You seriously need to stop killing me on woodman
    ---on topic---
    I find that the first one should be banned
    and
    the other 2 should be fine
  2. HonkSam

Still no statement on the various degrees. You know, if they decide to punish something there should be some statement to clarify on what is punishable and what is not.
  3. Fned

I'm curious as to whether shooting tank shells through terrain will qualify, with the way the guns work on the new patch...
  4. St0mpy

thats not a clever use of gameplay mechanics, that kind of statement is more reserved for new or unique uses of an old system

boosting however isnt new, its an old and established problem in games with a permanent player record and is exploiting no matter how clever they (or anyone else) thinks they are.
  5. SadButTrue

Banning should only ever be used when other players are affected by someones actions, period. "statpadding" in a game where stats have no meaning does not count.
  6. Panssarikauha

I think there is a definite line between "Clever use of game mechanics" to gain strategical or tactical advantage in a battle and to just "farming". That farming or boosting whatever isn't necessarily even clever, its just repetition in most cases. I think we shouldnt even try to confuse these two.

One is a way of playing the game, the other is boosting.
  7. exLupo

"Clever use of game mechanics." is, 9 of 10 times, players making excuses for doing something they aught not. Using the letter of the law to subvert the spirit of the law. The kind of behavior that, irl, should result in public caning but, often, results in 6 figure salaries instead. Glorification of the perversion of intent. Guh.

That being said, whether or not we should care is a sliding scale. Two guys who get together and, with intent to circumvent normal XP gain cycles, chain a gen to get mad xp? I think that's bad. A MAX firing off one shot over and over to pump a little extra xp to an Engi who went out of their way to give repairs? I'll let that slide. And, of course, any creativity that results in direct power over another player should result in immediate suspension.

Basically, if you find something that you know is wrong but isn't explicitly stated as a no-no and doesn't grant you a win over someone else, it's OK do it now and again.. just don't make a habit of it.

Personal responsibility.
    Do no harm.
    Respect others.
    etc.
  8. Bastid721

If they arent bothering anyone who gives a ****, it aint affecting my gameplay. But wait!!!!!They level up faster than me in a normal setting???how dare they maximize their online time!Whatever.....this game is setup so anyone can kill anyone regardless of level and/or certs. It's a free game ya know!
  9. Profileiche

Still things (esspecially vehicle weapons and tools) get better with more certs. That's why boosting gives advantages that are not gained by playing but using loopholes in the design of a game. I mean you can cheat at Blackjack with Card counting and cameras and still say: "There is no rule in Blackjack that prohibits me counting the cards." Yet you will still get a visit from some tough guys that want to tell you that you are not playing the game it is intended to be. PS2 might be a war game ... but it is still a GAME. If you need to boost even though you could spend money or time just playing (what the game is for) it's a simple sign of antisocial behaviour in a social game.

Anti-Social Behaviour in a Social Game = Not Right.
    • Up x 1
  10. SadButTrue

In a few years time everyone still playing PS2 will be maxed out. Would you still ban new players wanting to compete on a level playing field by farming? The fact you'd need to farm at that point is a clear sign of why PS2 has no future.
  11. exLupo

While I've been playing since launch, my weekly hours aren't that great. I've got enough certs that, for the past two months, I've been doing project builds, getting a bunch of certs for classes and vehicles I don't even like, just to experience that side of the game.

There's a little need to farm early on so you can get up to speed but it dries out right quick. Get all your slots filled with abilities half way up the track (usually lv3 is fine) and you're good to go. I'm a terrible FPS player and still average my 1.0 K/D goal (so dead center between the best and worst players, top of the bell curve).

Current project:
    Lightning
  12. Bastid721

your arugment holds some merit no doubt, YET the biggest problem is SOE advertises this game as being not level/cert tied. A lvl 1 caa kill a lvl 100 just as easily. So what gain does the 100 have over the 1, other than faster unlocks which do nothing to improve killing?

The game game is F2P so we are not stealing subscription time by certing faster. SOE has no ground other than its their game. It's only "unfair,cheating" if you so let it be in YOUR mind, because at the end of the day cheaters only cheat themselves.
  13. Profileiche

Whenever I read about players reaching 100 and having everything maxed out I always read that there is nothing worthwile on top. It's like climbing. In the end the peak is just a point of stone, maybe a book and a pile of rubble. If you climb the mountain just to get on the top you miss the things that matter. It's your climbing partners, it's YOU being the one that secures them, while another one gets ahead and places your rings and checks the holds. You might do it all alone when you are the mountain god, but you still get more out of it if you climb a mountain (esspecially together) and NOT race to the peak.
  14. SadButTrue

Getting to the top of the mountain with a group of others is one thing. Getting there while 1,000 people at the top of said mountain are throwing rocks down at you is less fun.