Official Lancer Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RadarX, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Fned

Long range effectiveness vs. MAX makes up for the poor effectiveness against ESFs.

I luuuurve my Lancer. However, it really, really needs a certable extended magazine.
  2. ExarRazor

still waitin on that damn scope for the lolncer
  3. illgot

Vortex is ok when you can land the majority of your shots and the enemy does not fire back. Lancer is trash.
  4. VanuSovereignty

Every sane VS outfit would like to have a word with you about your last comment.
  5. illgot

I have a nearly maxed out ZOE max and the double vortex can be enough to make vehicles stop firing and drive off fir repairs (not using ZOE). But i never stated it was a great weapon.
  6. VanuSovereignty

I meant the lancer thing...
  7. MetalGrave

I made a VS alt just to try out the lancer and holy crap does it suck, one mag equals one normal rocket. I lit a hovering esf up with it all shots landed and it just flew away, if I had a normal launcher it would have been dead.
  8. illgot

Lancer is trash. Only thing it is good for is stealing vehicle kills while someone is reloading.
    • Up x 1
  9. Fned

... unless you charge it up, like you're supposed to.
  10. MetalGrave

even then not much better.
  11. jihon83

It's a gimmicky weapon that pales in comparison to the Striker, not unlike the Phoenix. With the charge mechanic taking so long, and demanding that you keep a bead on the target, it just seems like a finicky ritual to go through every shot; and, like the Phoenix, because you have to deal with a "mini-game" when zoomed in, you're also a sitting duck. In comparison, the Striker allows its user to still move and, heck, even do a turn after the first missile is away. With damage, even a fully charged pair of shots amounts to just 1500 damage, whereas the Striker's string of pearls deals 2500 damage; and with reload times that are fairly similar, it seems like a TR HA has the chance to do a lot more than either his NC or VS foe in those seconds they are either going to kill or be killed by a tank.

I'm not sure if the Lancer represents the best way for the VS' quirk to be applied to an anti-armor weapon. To keep the same concept of the weapon, it may be better to have it be like Halo's Needler, with a flurry of beams that become more powerful with each one that hits, like beginning with a base of 200 damage and adding another 100 damage with each hit. If the rate of fire were kept relatively low, like a rate between the semiautomatic and pump-action shotguns of 120 RPM, it'd still provide time for a vehicle to escape, especially if it was kept as a dumb-fire weapon with a clip akin to a carbine or SMG. It'd still be gimmicky, but I think it'd feel better to have an infantry-held automatic weapon that is capable of dealing some damage to armor; rather than to have to play some odd rhythm game while zoomed in.
  12. Jrv

That sounds reasonable and balanced.
    • Up x 1
  13. jihon83

When compared to what the Striker is able to do, yes.
  14. Jrv

Striker can't slaughter infantry by the dozens.

Let's not forget the phoenix shoots footballs with 10 seconds between shots.
  15. Van Dax

You sacrifice a significant amount of damage to be damn sure you hit the target, its a pretty hefty trade off and you need to use it in at least pairs to take advantage of it. Now if we could get around to fixing some of its many bugs that would be great.
  16. Hrafnagaldr

Lancer is fine and a great weapon. Just remove that bloody first charge after redeploy bug already.
    • Up x 2
  17. Xasapis

Not sure why people necroed this thread but still, here's my opinion on the thing.

Lancer is in a good spot right now. As VS heavy you basically can get away with two launchers for the majority of things, the Decimator and the Lancer. You're going to be weak against air, so Nemesis would be a cheap third launcher I would put there. If I had to prioritize acquisition of launchers, I would pick Lancer first (but only because we already have Striker), then Decimator and last Nemesis. The majority of my time I'm running around with Decimator equipped.

The Vortex main issue isn't only that it's an expensive alternative to Lancer on an expensive platform from both cert and resources standpoint. The main issue is that it leaves the MAX exposed to any non vehicle threats. One infantry unit, regardless of class, can easily dispatch a Vortex MAX. The weapon offers zero protection against lone infantry threats (as opposed to bursters for example).
  18. The King

I don't have a striker on my VS...If you mean the annihilator, that's nothing like a striker, except for the fact, it can lock on both ground and air..and it shoots rockets ..

Lancer is a weak meh weapon, decent with a group of players... just like every other weapon. yet, they're decent alone.
    As someone mentioned above, it's great for stealing kills while others are reloading.
  19. S0LAR15

Needs a better scope....so badly.
    • Up x 1
  20. Kurmon

I love it. The damage is fair compared to the range and speed of it. The only thing I hate is that 2 fully loaded shots don't kill an ESF. Then you have to realod and the ESF is gone. Extended magazines would be awesome.