[Off Topic] What hardware should I buy for PlanetSide 2?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Guazy, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Guazy

Hello my friends, I'm going to replace the computer I am currently using. I was caught between two hardware I wanted to buy. Can you help with this? Which one do you think should I choose for planetside 2?

AMD
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    Ram: Corsair 32 gb DDR4 3600 mhz 4x8 gb Kit - Purchased

INTEL
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
    Processor: Intel® Core i9 10900K
    Ram: Corsair 32 gb DDR4 3600 mhz 4x8 gb Kit - Purchased
  2. NotsiMadz

the "traditional" reply to this question is :

Because the game is old and doesn't properly take advantage of multi threading / hyper threading / having lots of cores; having lots of cores with lots of threads doesn't matter that much.

What does matter, for the CPU, is the speed of the processor.

So you'd be better off with a cheaper and faster i5 (for intel).

____

That said I haven't kept track of updates that have been made to the game concerning performance. I don't even know which DX version it uses though I remember a switch to DX11 a couple years ago.

So it may be true that the argument I gave above doesn't apply anymore, or applies less.

Lastly, whatever the case, I do remember reading tech reviews (for example on Tom's Hardware) that recommended "best CPU for gaming" as being fast CPUs with less cores for all games.
    • Up x 1
  3. Towie

The answer was always so easy - go for a high clocked Intel - but the latest iteration of Ryzen has really muddied the waters, AMD are on a bit of a roll and the 5xxx series is quite a beast. Unfortunately they also bumped the price so they are no longer the clear 'value' champion.

Games in general and PS2 in particular don't utilise many cores particularly well - some more recent games do and DX12 is itself multi-threaded so although going beyond 4 cores isn't going to buy you much right now, may as well go with at least 6 for some future proofing (not talking PS2 here - unless they move to DX12).

Either of those systems would be great but there are other considerations. The 10900k is toasty - takes a lot of energy to drive those cores so you'll need a pretty beefy cooling solution. Ryzen is more efficient but again you're going to need a half decent cooler.

If you value a potential upgrade path in the future, AMD are the clear winners here. Intel want a new socket (hence motherboard) with most new processors so the 10900k, as great as it is, will likely have nowhere to go on the upgrade front.

If it were me - i'd go with a 5600x for a great bang-for-buck with plenty of future upgrade potential, or something like the 10600kf for the value option. It really is amazing value right now. ROG STRIX is a rock solid choice for either architecture.

So - IMO - AMD for performance / upgrade potential / efficiency, Intel for value. That statement would have been exactly the opposite not so long ago - funny how things change.
    • Up x 3
  4. FLHuk

5. iller

Everything NotsiMadz said was all you basically need to know. The faster it is Natively the less likely you will be to get a lot of Stuttering that's also "just kinda There" and will never be completely solved in Planetside2 when you do Overclocking.

Only other thing to really look out for maybe, is try to get a CPU with a bigger+faster Cache on level 2 and level 3... especially if it's a single-block configuration like the latest Gen AMD ryzen ones. MOST of the time when you get CPU bottlnecked in really big fights, it's not because of Physical or Video memory, it's usually because of CPU Cache that isn't being properly multithreaded to more than 2/3 cores
    • Up x 2
  6. Guazy

My current processor is fine, but 2 of my ram slots are broken. That's why I can't install extra ram. Older motherboards are very expensive, because of lack of production and a shortage of stocks. It made more sense to buy a new socket instead of giving $ 400- $ 500 to an old motherboard. That's why I want to buy a motherboard processor and ram. Thanks for the information anyway.

Current PC Features: https://steamcommunity.com/id/delidolu1adam/
    • Up x 2
  7. ObiVanuKenobi

8. OneShadowWarrior

Planetside has always been very much CPU bound. I’ve had both AMD and Intel, but Intel is my favorite and so are Nvidia Graphics cards.

I currently run a I7 9900 k, 2080 RTX ti, 32 gigs corsair high speed ram, the game is on a Nvmie SSD, at 1440 resolution I can get 240+ FPS in the Warpgate, but I have the game frame rate capped at 142 FPS due to my 144 hz refresh rate monitor and Gsync.

Once the battles get big, every system takes a dump and the bigger the battles the more particles, effects, shadows and rendering issues you get.
    I run mostly everything on potato mode except for graphics, textures and modeling and ambient occlusion. All the rest of that stuff is pure garbage.
    Sure the game looks pretty with Ultra settings and blooming effect, flora at high as well as effects and lighting are great for videos or pictures. The reality of it is, the game is so badly optimized since DX11. Your going to be pissed when you’ve blown alot of cash for something you hope get’s 60 FPS, the bigger the fights the sloppier the game gets. It’s just old.....

In short even with my high end rig.

40-90 fps depending on the size of the fight and when 300+ are in the zone it always get’s choppy at Ultra, smoother on Potato at 59-120 FPS
    • Up x 2
  9. InexoraVC

Oh! Mister Guazy aka toxic Coyotes is here!
    Have you boost your flying skills already ? Looking forward to meet you.
    Hope you won't use coyotes and have the courage to fly away from your base at least 300m.

About your question.
    For PS2 get a CPU with maximum performance per core. Otherwise you'll have 45% CPU load and 45% GPU load @ 55fps... By the way recent patches partialy fixed this problem but it still exists.

I think Intel 10700f will be a good and cheaper alternative to AMD 5800x. Look at this video - AMD 5800x isn't that good as you might think looking at it's price...

If you can afford 10900K - get it. It WILL be better than AMD 5800x
  10. Towie

Actually it's closer than you think - - indeed the 5800x is actually faster in several games, despite drawing about 200watts of peak power vs the frankly ridiculous 330watts that most motherboards will happily feed the 10900k https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/intel-core-i9-10900k-cpu-review/2

So anyone going down this route will need a beefy power supply and elaborate cooling. On the plus side it will heat up your room nicely on those long winter nights !

Agreed with the 10700f - again amazing value from Intel following the price cuts. It will lose to the 5600x in many games but best it in most productivity tasks while being cheaper. Seems bizarre saying that.

At the end of the day there's plenty to consider but the good news for us consumers, we have plenty of genuinely good choices - stock availability permitting.
    • Up x 1
  11. InexoraVC

12. Guazy

First, stop making sentences that contradict yourself. I'm not the toxic player here. Every time I kill you, you keep saying insults or stupid sentences against me or the Turks.

Do you want to meet me? I am 36 years old, married and have 2 children. I live in belgium If there are other things you are curious about, you can ask, I will not hesitate to answer you.

Remember, PlanetSide 2 is a game and it doesn't reflect the truth. Yes, everyone can get angry from time to time, but every time you die, you constantly send people a private message or silly messages via yell.

Look at yourself before criticizing someone, don't expect everybody to play well.

Anyone can use every weapon in this game at any time. You can't insult anyone just because someone is using a2a and the other is using coyote. If you can, use it too. If you don't want to use it, the room is your choice.

The reason I block you in the game is because you constantly text and cry whenever you die.

I don't know how old you are, but you make yourself funny with the things you do.

I haven't played planetside 2 for nearly 2 years, yes it is because of some health problems and unfortunate events I have experienced. I have had surgery on my right arm 3 times in the last 2 years. I cannot work my fingers and wrist as smoothly as before.

I'm sure you didn't even know how to fly when we were flying. Please stop making yourself funny.

I'm sure if you had come across me 2 years ago, you would be ashamed to write this to me :) I said before, I don't have to prove myself to anyone. I don't care who says what.

Like every human being, I play games and try to have fun in my spare time. I immediately block poisonous players. Your swearing at or insulting Turks doesn't make me angry. On the contrary, I pity you and people who are anti-Turkish like you.

I got the answer to the question I asked as a result of some of my researches, but thank you for the comment you want to help.

I hope you will stop being racist and prejudiced towards people as soon as possible. Have a nice day :)
    • Up x 1
  13. Guazy

Yes, you are right. So I wanted to get the opinion of planetside 2 players using Intel and Amd. I have been using Intel for at least 20 years. After watching the game comparisons on some videos, I decided to buy Intel again.

I think I'll buy 10900k or 11900k. I will wait until 30 March. If there is not a big price difference between them and the 11th Generation, I will prefer 11900k. Otherwise I will buy 10900k.
    • Up x 1
  14. InexoraVC

Guazy stop labeling me! I never wrote about your IQ, your age, your nationality, your race, your family.
    But you do it every time.
    I only wrote about your low 1v1 flying skill. You loose every air fight unless your base with G2A turret is close by.
    I don't know (and don't care about) what happened to you 2 yrs ago but now you are a really really toxic player. Get to "Flying school" discord and read about yourself from other pilots (not me, not from my outfit, not from my country). I could post here screenshots with your insults to my family, age, IQ, but this topic is about hardware and I don't want it to be a quarrel.
  15. Botji

If you check around its not at all uncommon for the 5800x to run very hot.
    Tomshardware can be a bit hit and miss, they go into a lot of detail in the 10900k review but their 5800x review doesnt even have a temperature part... they just baselessly claim its more power efficient so its cooler than intel CPUs when in reality its just as hot or hotter.

AMD is definitely becoming a lot more interesting, if I didnt feel so secure with intel(have had issues with AMD in the past) I would have probably bought a AMD CPU instead of the 10900k. They are similar enough in performance now that there is no clear 'best' anymore. In another 10 years or whatever when I get my lazy bum to upgrade again I might dare to try AMD if they can keep it up.

Though I do want to say that a beefy PSU is far from a bad thing, its the #1 part you dont want to be cheap on. People dont have to go completely crazy with it but a good quality 750w is enough with room to spare for most builds and its kinda stupid to try to save a few bucks on it when it could wreck everything if it fails which also happens to be the reason like 90% of hardware fail on prebuilt PCs, they often use cheap PSUs because most people only look at the CPU/GPU and dont think about how expensive it can be when the PSU burns and takes them with it to the grave.
    *Edit: PSU = PowerSupplyUnit for anyone wondering.
    • Up x 1
  16. Guazy

I did not invite you here, you saw my name and came because the tail was painful. You are the one who makes fun of people here. What happened to me 2 years ago doesn't concern you anyway. I know how low iq ya you have, don't worry :)

I don't need to prove this here, if you have screenshots, you can submit them to support.

If anyone tells me something, I answer him. Otherwise, I am not teasing anyone or harassing them through private messages. That's why my private messages are closed :)

Yes I don't like people with low iq. You may be physically developed, but I can see that you are unfortunately not mentally developed.

You forget that this is a game, you constantly harass people through private messages after you die. I don't care about you and others like you anyway.

I answered you because you think you are big, but you are even smaller than your ant :) You everday are showing off toxic behavior for your killer.

You want to kill everyone, but you never want to die. Because you consider yourself a very good actor, you harass every person who killed you with a private message.

If your private message is disabled, you are continuing this behavior on YELL.

You know what character you have, but you don't want to admit it. Sorry, you do not have an acceptable character.

**** Turks, **** Islam, **** Allah, Noob, Stupid, Salty, Toxic etc. with words you belittle and belittle them.

We don't even care about these, the fact that you attack us like this after killing you shows how much better we are than you.

After I die, I don't attack anyone, because it's a game and no one is immortal in this game.

Here you try to justify yourself and make me a liar. Yeah, you're a toxic kid.

This is not an insult, please don't get me wrong. I'm just saying what kind of personality you have.

Instead of having fun playing games, I don't have any more answers to an aggressive, abusive mindset after death.

You can write as much as you want, I won't even bother to read :) Ignored you on forum.
  17. Guazy

Thank you for the nice and explanatory comment. I've decided what to buy, but I'm still waiting for 11900k to come out. If there is not much difference in price, I will prefer 11900k.
  18. Towie

I'd say - wait until more reviews are in.

The 11700k has been bought (early - some suppliers jumped the gun) and initial reviews are not great. It's better in productivity than the 10700k but generally worse in games, while being even more power hungry. Check them out - but - it's possible they just didn't do so well in the silicon lottery, hence why you should wait.

Considering the 11900k has the same cores/threads as the 11700k (unlike the 10900k) but higher boost and it looks even less appealing.
    • Up x 1