NS swarm vs NS regular lock on

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Strrog, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Strrog

I bought NS sinlge rocker lock launcher some time ago and was curious about the NS swarm., however i am hearing different info in regards different resistances applied on NS swarm missiles. So whats the point of the side-grading into NS swarm and in which situations its better then regular NS lock on.
  2. Okaydan

It depends more on the target, not really the damage. For AA, regular locks are much better, because Swarm rockets are easy to dodge/outrun. For ground targets, however, the Swarm is better at tracking, especially Harassers.

So if you need it for AA, stick with the regular one. If you need it for fast ground vehicles, the Swarm is better. I don't know if it's worth buying; it depends on your stage in the game. Chances are, you can spend the certs better elsewhere. Regular lock-on will do the job fine.
  3. Sazukata

Post above sums it up decently. I'll add that the Swarm's most notable attribute is it's large reserve ammo. You get 30 rockets in total, which is 10 magazines as opposed to other launchers which usually have 5. It also has a little more damage per magazine compared to single-shot lock-ons, but takes longer to apply. The faster reload on the Swarm helps offset this.

In my experience, the Swarm's biggest weakness is ESFs. Takes too long to unload on the fastest unit in the game, slow rockets can be outrun easily, and fast rockets are very easy for the ESF to dodge and run them into the ground due to the wide turn radius.
  4. Kristan

Swarm is situational and requires analysis on your target to chose correct mode, also consider terrain and speed of your target.

For ESFs I mostly chose Fast mode, because they will outrun Slow mode missiles. They will swarm around ESF, but will hit it eventually. ESF might use narrow points in terrain to shake off missiles, but might risk to crash.
    For Liberators you could use both modes, depends on distance.
    For tanks I chose on distance. Close - slow mode. Far - fast mode. Sometimes at slow mode missiles might do an upper curve, to go further from terrain and ensure the hit. If you will use fast mode on close distance missiles might actually miss, since they don't go straight to the target and have slower tracking.
    That's why it's a bit futile using fast mode against Harassers, missiles would just hit the ground behind it. But slow mode might not be enough, since Harassers might use terrain to shake missiles off.

I'd say if you have some certs that collecting dust and you don't know where to put the, you might try Swarm. It spices up AV gameplay than Annihilator. But if you need certs for something else I'd say to stick to Anni till you get bored of it. It does the job.
  5. Strrog

hmm i just trialed it and it seems pretty good vs ESF, maybe pro esf was not around at the time of test :p.

i am just buying different NS supplies in case i want to switch servers, so looking for something cool while i am shopping, love the emissary pistol/smg :p
  6. adamts01

The Emissary is only good for Stalker infiltrators, and the Pilot is arguably better for that role. The best sidearm for general use is the Commissioner.
  7. Strrog

ye i got that one too
  8. Insignus

Never Buy Swarms. I classify it as a heresy only because it is frankly so bad that I find it insulting when people use it on me.