Ns Archer for start????

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Ximi, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Ximi

I mean,im going to buy a Ps4 for play Planetside 2. Ive played on PC too,but my terrible aim doesnt help to like the game. And since im better at those games at consoles,because my aim is much better,im going to guard money for buy the console.

When u buy the console finally,i will buy some weapons for the engie class and i always liked the Archer,but i dont know if it worth it. I will pair the Archer with a good sidearm,like the Blackhand.

What do u think???
  2. Ximi

Maybe sounds weird,but Archer is one of my favorite weapons of the game. Only if it can kill infantry as other BASR of the game,gonna be wonderful.
  3. Cirena

The archer is good at:
    - Killing maxes.

The archer is bad at:
    - Everything else.
    • Up x 3
  4. Ximi

Archer is good at:

-Destroy vehicles.

-Destroy engie turrets.

-Destroy base turrets.

-Destroy terminals.

And also,if i want an anti infantry weapon,i must find a good sidearm for kill "everything else" the Blackhand for example.
  5. Kirek

You seem to be overrating that archer a lot. Just accept the fact it is good only against maxes and in this role it shines and make them cry. Against vehicles it is just terrible - only flash can feel its damage to be honest. And you would need self defense sidearm like underboss or comissioner or any good faction pistol other than blackhand... which ironically is sniper pistol not very effective cqc.
  6. Xybranus

The Archer is easily my favorite weapon in the game. I realize this is a horribly unpopular opinion, but, I actually like the thing, flaws and all.

For starters, at its specialized niche, it is the most effective and devastating weapon in the game. You can either kill a MAX outright, or force them to run and seek cover, effectively removing them from a fight. While yes, the point does stand that every other way of killing a MAX COMBINED is cheaper than buying an Archer, it's ability to choose whatever range you want to ruin a MAX is not to be underestimated. It's hip fire is decent enough that you can get up close with one if you want (or in a pinch), and the accuracy and scopes make it easy to fight from any range. It's also amazing against turrets of all kinds, killing Spitfires instantly, MANA turrets in two shots, and Phalanx turrets in ten. Ten shots sounds like a lot, and it is rather time consuming, but its a lot more subtle than a rocket trail or a tank. Against anything else that has an engine and a driver, it's hit or miss. ESF's drop in six shots, with the fifth one setting them on fire. That is serious power for a primary weapon, and it's a great way to get air deterrence ribbons without pulling a MAX or a Heavy Assault. Valkyries go down in ten shots, which is excruciatingly long, but its enough to make a pilot think twice. Against anything else, you're an annoying bug, which is not a bad thing. The ability to make a tank stop focusing on vehicles to try and find you is an amazing, if not a little unrewarding support ability.

And while it's ability against infantry is sub par to what many consider ' good', it does the job. Treat it like you would a bolt action sniper rifle once you've ran out of vehicles to irritate and you'd be surprised at the number of assists you can get, as well as very satisfying kills from time to time.

Don't go in with the mindset of this thing being an unholy terror, unless you see a bunch of MAX suits. This weapon makes you a support hero, and while it will murder your K/D ratio, you'll get more assists than you can shake a stick at.
    • Up x 2
  7. OldMaster80

It's a bad weapon because the niche it fills is just too small. It's ok against maxes, and it's awful against everything else.
    Sure it can deal damage against vehicles but it's not really an AV weapon. You can't even realistically face Lightnings with this... maybe you can deal with Harassers. You can damage turrets but you're not even close to the effectiveness of a rocket launcher.

This is definitely not enough if you consider you have to give up most of your anti-infantry power.
  8. Eternaloptimist

I don't know about the Archer but my first thought was that you are pairing two hard hitting but slow firing long range weapons if you go with the Blackhand. Personally, I take a fast firing secondary with a slow firing primary, like a burst pistol or something that can spam off a host of shots, like the Beamer. If you like the NS revolvers, the Underboss might serve you better if you want something to fall back on when the baddies get a bit close.
  9. Ximi

Yes i think that too. Its great and can be paired with a decent sidearm for face infantry.

Im thinking on Commie instead of Blackhand. But here is a vídeo of a guy using my initial combo choice:

10. Ximinet

Guys,i forgot my main email for Ximi account,i was not using my main email for that account,so i created a new one. As ive said above,ill pick a good sidearm for engie when i pick the Archer,because im sick of Blackhand,ill pick the Commie. I always liked revolvers on all FPS games,ive played a lot with Colt 44 on Battlefield 3 on Xbox360,so on Planetside 2 gonna not be much different.

As the video above,there are guys using the Archer very good,so its not that bad. Also ill pick the Spitfire turret because the AI and AV turrets are magnets for snipers and i dont want to be an easy target for them.
  11. Cirena

Good players can make even the Trap M1 look good even though it's (also) a bad gun.
    Consider that a good player using a bad gun would be better using a good gun - and so would you!
  12. FunBotan

Got absolutely no idea what an engie with only a sidearm is going to do against an NMG heavy. Considering how many heavies are usually running around...
  13. Ximinet

Well,i know it already,im thinking to pick a shotgun instead of Archer,but maybe the game turns easy...
  14. Azawarau

If youre bad at aiming dont get the archer

Try battle rifles perhaps?

I main Engie with the Archer and its amazing if you know what youre doing and can aim well enough to hi t600 meter tanks and planes
  15. starlinvf

But unlike a TRAP, you can't simply ignore an Archer at ANY range. Despite being niche in design, it can effectively harass EVERYTHING in the game. Range is constantly the Engineer's biggest liability in most loadouts, and even the battle rifles don't feel high impact enough unless you're a crack shot.... But the Archer combines the best usability elements of Bolt actions with notable anti-armor damage against most hard targets. Base damage is high enough that it can scare off infantry from any position, at pretty much any range a sniper could operate at; its absolutely devastating to outdoor MAXs, solo you can pressure off armor unless they have dedicated repairs, it wipes out enemy Engie Turrets, and in small teams coordinated teams, its actually "more" effective then an MBT.

I've run with teams as small as 5, and we can take out parked Sunderers so quick and quietly, most of the engineers standing around it don't even realize its taking damage. At 10, we were overpowering repair sundies. But whats most demoralizing about Archer squads is that we can do this outside the range of anything other then a sniper.... and if someone spots the sniper, we all just turn our sights on him, then go back to blowing up vehicles.
  16. thebigbortishbort

the archer is more for harrassing vehicles than killing them , sure plinking tanks has gotten me kills out of them but don't 1v1 a tank , they're good for damaging aircraft if you can hit em 5-6(?) hits kills an esf or try to hit a damaged one for free kill , few mags will kill base turrets and 2 shots will kill a terminal.

Other than maxes , it does dick flop damage against infantry for what kind of gun it is , in spite of this i do not regret getting it in the slightest , i've gotten a few revenge kills from jumping out of dieing vehicles to finish off theirs.

10/10 would buy dick flop
    • Up x 1
  17. Erendil

Meh, if I'm going to do long range combat as an Engie, I'll be much more effective with the following:
    • AV MANA Turret
    • Battle rifle
    • Commie or Emmissary pistol for short range AI
    I won't be quite as good at Anti-MAX than if I had an Archer - although both the AV MANA Turret and Battle Rifle are decent Anti-MAX weapons in their own right. But I'd be much better at AI and AV.
  18. Azawarau

Honestly. Id say keep playing on PC. Your aim will improve

That being said yes get the archer but dont try to use it too terribly much to start or youll find yourself on the losing end of alot of combat situations while youre still new and under certed
  19. Chubby Monkey

A lot of good advice for the OP to ponder. My favorite class is Engineer. I picked up the Archer as an additional tool in my inventory. I do not regret it. And it has a build of it's own in one of the four slots we all get per class. Is it what I roll with primarily, no. But when I need to add damage alongside others in a push it is usually the build I grab. If anyone else has trouble with the AV turret like I do they may enjoy the versatility of the Archer.

Again, many good suggestions of secondary to go with your new Archer. I chose the Emissary. While it does not "drop" bad guys like a bad habit it does work for me. I submit that a trip to the VR will help your decision making process. Go play with all the toys and find which works for you.
  20. OldMaster80

Imho the Archer is good if you want to try a specific "anti-max" loadout. That's how I use it.
    - Archer
    - Commissioner but any other good sidearm will do.
    - Max Utility Pouch.
    - 4 AV landmines
    - MANA AV turret.
    - Sticky grenades
    - Regeneration implant

If you hate Max Units, with this you can make them cry. But still, it's a very small niche.