NS-11A from a TR point of view

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Azloki, Nov 26, 2012.

1. freeze

it is horrible at close range....
    the damage combined with the rather low ROF can't really compete with many of the other guns and you will often find yourself out-gunned.

"I only go for headshots"... comments like that make me throwup in my mouth tbh... EVERYONE is doing that... no matter the ******* gun. ah well... nough said I guess
  2. ashleyapb

Saying it's "terrible" at close range is a gross overstatement. It's more than capable of holding its own at all ranges, and with a laser sight it's pretty accurate from the hip as well. You'll want to do whatever you can to keep engagements at mid/long range since that's where the weapon excels at, but if you get caught with your pants down up close you can still drop people.

That said, it's noticeably inferior to weapons designed around close/mid-range combat and you will be outgunned, but that doesn't mean you have no hope of competing.
  3. Zagz

Hey if vomiting in your mouth makes you feel better, that's your thing. For me, the NS works well. I've played with pretty much every scopes, bullets, barrel, tuned my play style around that gun and it works like a charm for me. Of course, I do die and I do not win every single encounters nor am I the number 1 player on my server but at the end of the day, my ratio is usually very high. It is not usual for me to die due to running out of ammo. I'm not saying, you can't do well with other weapons nor am I not recommending that you take the time to trial each weapons. As for the headshots, "EVERYONE" was doing that, now that's just BS and a rather weak attempt to act cool.

Now it's not because you did a little 15 minute review about the gun that you're god or some sort of awesome figure. Your review is great and I haven't said a single time that NS CQC was the king. Coming here to insult ones opinion is pathetic and does not make you look any better. Maybe you should look into who I am, why do I like this gun over other TR medic weapons and such. You think it's garbage at close range, I think it's pretty good. I don't go out of my way to vomit in my own mouth when someone does great in a situation where I do not.

Again, to anyone that isn't sure about the gun... give it a try. Use the trial and see how it goes. If within 30 minutes, the gun is just a big no no, don't use it.

It all comes down on your play style. The same argument can be said about pretty much everything about this game. I am not a great pilot, I do horrible with rocket pods... If everyone was as mediocre as me with an ESF, no one would be complaining about the Rocket Pods. On the other hand, if everyone had as much success as me with the NS-11A, we would be talking about how OP this gun is... It's as simple as that.
  4. Joust

After 40 BRs of almost exclusively using the NS-11 (Up to level 30 I exclusively played CM when I was infantry, now I work in some defensive HA to compliment my Outfit). I was a huge proponent of the gun, and I have all the bells and whistles for it - but it's not the end-all-be-all.

THIS WEAPON IS A JACK OF ALL TRADES, MASTER OF NONE.

For a starting medic, it is invaluable, and it is the first weapon you should fully cert up. In this game, and all FPS's, there is a steep learning curve. This gun will keep you alive when pinned under fire, but as your playstyle progresses and suddenly you're rushing the doorways instead of waiting for the two scared LA's outside, it's time to change up your gun.

You will NOT go 10:1 kill to death with this gun. You will not run into a room of 3 hostiles and kill them (you'll be lucky if you run into a room of 2 and get them both..). The rate of fire is too punishing, the CQC accuracy is too tight that you can spray half a clip at someone's head and the bloom is so minimal if your aim wasn't perfect you missed his head entirely. Unless you are an FPS pro, you won't be racking up headshots with this gun - you'll be aiming center mass and hoping you kill him before he kills you.

In the last few BRs, now at the point where my HA, Engie, Prowler, Mosq and Medic are fully certed and I have excess certs, I've dropped them into the TAR and the TRV and I can say that for my playstyle (close combat assault) they are superior. The TAR decimates at close range with game breaking accuracy and a level 2 laser, and handles a 4.0 scope for range. The TRV is the most accessible platform, handling everything (it taught me to love smoke grenades) and performing decently at mid to close range.

So, that being said, if you are new and you have access to this gun, use it. It's great out of the box and performs well enough that you dont need to heavily cert into it (as you should be focusing on leveling your nano device and med tool [young grasshopper]). Once the game slows down a bit and you're starting to transition from a defensive support medic into more of an offensive one, you need to consider upgrading your weapon. That being said you may never want to play an offensive medic, and this gun will suit you perfectly.

Just please don't come back here whining that you dropped 400 certs into this gun and you can't solo cap a base with it. MAX forums ------->
  5. irishroy

[IMG]
    Y U NO TRY GR-22 ?

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
  6. Zagz

I have the TAR waiting to be used... just haven't found the will to invest more time into it.
  7. aRtFuL

The problem with all these TAR assertion as to NS-11a being useless at short range is, TAR, because of singular-functional range, is actually not a good weapon for medic in most cases.

Medic is a class that fight on a variety of ranges. Unlike LA or HA which can choose grounds a lot easier with either flying or heavier protection. Medic (if decided to the useful to the squad, not just yourself) are also forced to fight in unpredictable situations because we need to heal people (situations where you don't know if people will be cool-shooting you from range, or if the enemies are flooding in from the door). Thus, medic benefits more from NS-11a's diversity rather than TAR's single-mindedness.

Also as an additional point, if you have to fight up close (tech plant assault for example) and you are not planning to change to LA which might be better suited for the situation, you are probably even better off with a auto-shotgun rather than going for an intermediate solution such as TAR. The benefit of going shotgun includes:
    1. Four of the classes all can use shotguns, which brings me to point 2
    2. You save on cert cost and share attachments cost by A LOT compare to getting a close range weap of any other specific type that is not as good in CQC (shotgun is the absolute king and is not hard to learn to use properly at all).
    3. It actually takes you less shot to kill - especially if you are as good as you say you are (that everyone can headshot bs). You will be oneshotting people left and right and still have the full potential to clear out the entire room without reloading.
    4. Shotgun is much better for dodge-and-weave fights because of point 3, which is better for CQC as you can avoid more damage.
    5. Shotgun is a lot more forgiving on aiming - hence superior on panic situation compare to TAR.

So as you can see, I can much more easily justify the reason for existence of NS-11a a lot more than guns like TAR. Close range ARs are in fact quite pointless, as it killed the thing that AR is supposed to be best for and other classes are whining about not getting(versatility of accuracy and power at BOTH long and short range)

So imo before people proposing TAR is superior for short range, one should analyse why would a medic even need to fight exclusively short range in the first place; and IF such scenario exists, is TAR really the best weapon given that the better option of auto-shotgun is available?

Food for thought.
  8. Zagz

aRtful, great stuff man. I'll have to explore the shotgun avenue a bit more.

I've tried to use the TAR again this week. My conclusion remains the same... it's a situational weapon and due to it's awful reload speed, it's a very very very situational weapon. The NS-11A reloads really fast and that's an important thing to consider.

Now, I need to go and try the shotgun a bit more!
  9. commandoFi

I think this is one of the best guns in the game, regardless of faction. I really like the versatility and am thinking of getting most of the different upgrades for ammo rail and barrel. The high accuracy and low recoil make it great at range and the fast reload and epic hip-fire make it good at close range. About ammo, High velocity also reduces damage drop off in addition to travel speed.
  10. FendleyFire

Love the gun. For my ranged load out I equip it with the compensator, 3.4x scope, high velocity ammo and a fore-grip. Can pretty much fire full auto and manage to land most shots at a distance.

If I don't know what situation I am going to end up in (such as using instant action) I will equip the NS-11A, it's versatile and I like that. If I know I'm going to be fighting up close though I'd much rather have my TAR equipped.

They should release a version with an under barrel grenade launcher and call it the punisher though...
  11. Locke

Well from an NC perspective the NS11-A has the worst DPS at 10m of our guns, the worst dps at range (65m drop off) and the joint worst amount of single shots fired required to kill (tie with the GR22 & Carnage BR) with no real massive gains in recoil or bloom to show for it.

I haven't compared the TR versions in detail but I really think there is probably a better gun amongst your options unless you really are desperate for a lower ROF weapon. The T1 Cycler for example which looks not that far off in terms of recoil out damages the NS11-A by 234 DPS (damage per second) at 10m & 204 DPS at range with the same amount of bullets required to kill for single shot fire.

Personally if I was TR I'd focus on what your good at and go for something with high ROF and make use of your large magazine size and ammo pool advantage
  12. TheOR4CLE

The NS11 seems to be the most balanced weapon in the game. Note that I've not tried every weapon but that is my assumption after reading the forums. I use the NS11 exclusively for my Medic but now that I know I can equip rez grenades on the attachments for other rifles I may be trying those out instead.
  13. NOrrTH

When I played NC I bought the NS and found it to be very accurate and easy to use but way too under powered. It felt like a Pea Shooter.
  14. ExarRazor

the ns platinum gun you get form a gamestop SC card is functionally the same as the ns11a, right?
  15. Hoki

NS-11A is excellent at any range assuming you can aim. Its accuracy and reload speed are untouchable by other TR ARs.
  16. Kastrenzo

foregrip doesn't do anything to stop it's side to side recoil though.
    Don't waste too much on that gun, it's not worth it
  17. Hoki

Do not listen to him.
  18. }{ellKnight

Get the TRV. I don't know about you guys but most of my engagements as a medic are close to medium range. TRV (and it's equivalents) shines at those ranges.
  19. Bearcat

Since posting this, I got both the TRV (reflex, adv laser, flash suppressor) and the NS-11A (x2 reflex, compensator, forgrip). While the NS-11A is very nice at range like everyone is saying, I find myself using the TRV way more. Most combats for me happen in the ranges where the TRV shines. I mainly use the NS-11A in those senseless (fun) fights at the crown because there are a lot of longer ranged shootouts.
  20. Locke

Cycler TRV is the highest DPS AR in the game and does just over 22% extra DPS on the NS11A (2013 dps vs 1553 dps @ 10m). It's hard to believe the differences in other areas are enough to make up for that. Even the SABR13 has a better DPS up close while taking fewer shots to kill at range.