Now we know why the offical forums get the least news.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sapare, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Sapare

Considering how fast things get posted I assume this has been posted up already, but otherwhise here it is again just for good measures.

DJPenguin@DJPenguin3
    @planetside2 @j_smedley Good post, but ones such as these are seldom seen on the official forums. Why is that?

[IMG] John Smedley@j_smedley
    @DJPenguin3 @planetside2 honestly I prefer Reddit. Why? Because iof someone wants to tell me to F off I want them to be able to.
    @j_smedley @DJPenguin3 @planetside2 we can't allow that on our forums though. I personally HATE moderation with a passion but we have to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am honestly not really as upset as some people might be, he wasnt really insulting us so much as the general structure of how large company forums work. To some extent this gives him a "human" edge. Though I am still really confused how the lead of project can literarly say he doesnt care for his own projects forum.

(While at it, havnt forgotten bout that LA outfit DJPenguin, kinda lolsy that you made the twitter post that caused this reply)
  2. Duff_Chimp

Sweet. Now we know where to go to tell him to **** off. Form an orderly queue. Lol.
    • Up x 5
  3. MrLee.NO

While one might prefer the free forums like reddit, this is his job. Jobs often force you into doing something you don't necessarily prefer over something else.
    • Up x 3
  4. Brusilov [TR]

I was going to ask smedz on twitter, more or less this exact question... then i realised. Why the fück would you want to open yourself up to the ********, whingebags, whine, *****, moan faces on these forums. Twitter is by far the superior media for releasing short, off-the-cuff comments containing information snippets that are far from ever being misconstrued as "official" in any manner.
    • Up x 1
  5. GamerOS

Wow, I actually find that a compelling and reasonable argument.

No, that was not sarcasm.
    • Up x 1
  6. Veri

The forums have to be of a PG level due to kids also playing this game.
    Reddit does not have this censorship.
    • Up x 1
  7. Eclipson

So don't use the official planestside 2 forums where tons of ideas and bugs and such are posted just because you cant say the word ****? You've got to be kidding me . . .
  8. PsychoBat

Official forums have to be moderated pretty hard because of the age rating and thus when Smed would post here, he would get filtered good feedback as a lot of the bad feedback would be removed by moderators as the people posting those violate SOE community guidelines by being *****. On other avenues with less moderation he can get a bit less biased feedback.
  9. sosolidshoe

None of which prevents the devs from coming here once they've received their feedback(which is apparently better if it's sweary whinging rather than reasoned argument, us scientists have been doing it wrong for so long it seems, we should just act like passive-aggressive school children with the vocabulary of a docker) to post actual information. It also doesn't prevent them from posting -complete- patch notes which include every change they've made.

Interestingly, it's also a tacit admission that the roadmap is a sham, since by Smedders' own logic, he isn't expecting any useful feedback to come through it since the comments use both the mechanism and moderation policy of the forums.
    • Up x 1
  10. Razzyman

I've seen these posts a couple times. I can understand putting some stuff on Twitter, a lot of people use it after all, but Twitter isn't your official Forum, where I feel Official News should go, if not first (which it should, this is after all a site and forum dedicated to the game) then these things should be put here shortly after going on the other site. :)

As for Reddit, well being an American I fully support your right to speak your mind, but the world would be a better place without it. That place is filled with so much immorality and scum I can't believe the servers that host it don't rot. The things posted there make me sick, I avoid it like the plague. If someone wants to tell you to, well you read his quote, there are ways to do it in a mature, respectful manner. If someone acts like that I would take their opinion with a grain of salt, chances are they are speaking more from emotion than a place of reason. They're likely not interested in meaningful dialogue, but just insulting you, this isn't going to help game play at all so why do we need it? Sure, you can check Reddit and other sites to get more input on your game but please, spend some time here too, focus on the forums that were made specifically for your game first, then get the uncensored opinion you crave after. It's not a bad idea to gather that other info per se but shouldn't the site your company uses be more important, even if someone can't spew venom and hatred because their having a moment of rage? (I'm personally thankful I don't have to see that kind of stuff always at the top of our forums)

In the end you are free to do what you would like. It seems though, that many people would prefer to get their news about PS2 on the PS2 forums. Not because a user found on twitter and posted a link, but because the people who make the game care enough about the forum users here to let us know on the official forums. I may be off base on this, but there have been more than a couple threads about this concern in the past, maybe it's just the vocal minority in the end but I can say for sure, it does bother me.

Thank you if you are a dev and took the time to read this, please pass this on if you can.
  11. DJPenguin

it's what i do.
  12. Duvenel

People post the links to such comments and statements from Reddit and Twitter as it is. Would it really be all that different if Smedley started to post what he said himself on here? If you look back at the threads that users have reposted of information I think the thing they've whined about more than anything is the fact that it was posted somewhere else first and not on here.

It just confuses me is all.
    • Up x 1
  13. MrLee.NO

Yes it would because people would not have to be chasing down comments posted by random people in random threads.

Seriously Smed, get an intern to copy/pasta all your PS2 related tweets and reddit comments to the forum using an "official" account.

Can't be that hard.
    • Up x 1
  14. Disparu

I hate censorship but I have it on my own forum which I have total control over, because I dislike it so much I implement it in the only place I actually have a choice about doing so.....yeah w/e.

He could have just said he only has an attention span of 140 chars and thats why he uses twitter all the time instead of making up some ******** lie.
  15. TheBloodEagle

It's still pretty ridiculous. Just remove these forums then because it's an insult to all of us on here genuinely posting reasonably. Hell, I see the devs post more insightful stuff on Planetside Universe.
  16. Vaphell

lolwut? this is bullcrap. I am perfectly able to tell someone to f off using pg13 compliant words if that floats their boat, but the total lack of response to the concerns of community? i find it outright insulting. Your player base wants to help you pinpoint problems and suggest possible solutions on your own official forums so you all can make a better, log lasting game and *MORE MONEY* and you blow them off.

Pretty much the only reaction of the ps2 crew i've seen in the gameplay forum was along the lines of "go to infiltrator subforum to whine about your problems and to post your suggestions". There are already plenty of nice ideas how to make the class better and more useful there - infiltrator forum thread count is almost equal to the next 2 subforums combined (1270 vs 740 HA/630 engie)... too bad nobody in charge reads these anyway.
    So the official forums are simply a cheap way to do PR damage control that makes people vent off their frustrations or what?
  17. PsychoBat

Well, you've got to admit - the official forums have way bigger bullsh*t to content ratio than do the subreddit or the PSU forums.