Noticed something about my FPS.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chewy102, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Chewy102

Lately Iv been getting FPS in the low 30s to mid 20s. This REALLY bugs the hell out of me and makes a game unplayable. I know, first world problems and there are people with sub 20 FPS that kick ***. Don't care, my limit is 30 and my normal is mid 40s. If a game doesn't do at least that on my PC then something is off. So a while back I lowered some settings. Seemed to work but now Im in that 30s or under range again.

Played with settings today and the moment I touched render quality. My FPS in the VR went from 30 to to 55-60. The jump was so much that I had a hint of motion sickness from how smooooth it was and my mouse aim went to hell to boot from it. Then I got thinking and upped my settings back to what they was with some a bit higher. Still mid 50s AFTER I adjusted render quality again, when I logged back in after a restart my FPS was in the 30s or less. I never thought of changing render quality before and all I gotta do to double my FPS is move the slider then put it right back to 100%. Works every time so far after I log in.

Neat little thing I found. Confused the hell out of me when my FPS numbers would change almost every day. One day in the 30s, next day in the 50s, then back to 30s.
  2. patrykK1028

It doesnt work for me, but I experienced some weird thing long time ago. I was having around 20fps and I wanted to see how it works on higher sets. I was upping them and I didnt see difference in frame rate at all. I thought "Hmmm maybe the game wants me to have that 20fps.." and left settings on ultra. I jumped into a battle and my fps went from 20 to.. 8
  3. Mastermind

Sony broke the game awhile back and instead of fixing it they just raised the minimum requirements. The game doesn't actually look or play any better, its actually worse on both accounts.
    • Up x 3
  4. 7 Drunk Midgets

Welcome to my average play session.
    • Up x 2
  5. TriumphantJelly

O_O
    Right then... Thank you for the advice, I may try it...
  6. Alarox

If you have a powerful GPU then up your settings to take load off your CPU.
    • Up x 1
  7. iller

dude .... That's not how computers work

...unless you mean going 100% Ultra textures so that there's no Downscaling calcs in the CPU cache levels...
    But that eats up an incredible amount of ram just to avoid mostly unnoticeable hitching
    • Up x 1
  8. Chewy102

Noticed something else tonight. Im still able to get to my FPS cap of 60 by doing the render quality bit but every time I used an infantry terminal my FPS would tank to 30 for a few seconds then builds back up to what it was before using the terminal.

As I now type this Im starting to think that me using a FPS cap is my problem. I have it set to 60 as I use a HDTV for a monitor and it can only do 60 FPS. No reason to tax my system for frames I can't see and with higher than 60 frames on this TV I get frame ripping. Win win for locking it to 60. With the FPs cap the game stays at 60 or a few frames below it outside of heavy combat where it tanks as much as what ever the hell it wants. When my FPS slogs on log in it is exactly 30 and just a few below that till I mess with settings. Half of my FPS cap.

If it wasn't 1am Id likely test this. Looks like I might have found something.
  9. Joexer

Welcome to the new age.
  10. Gemenai

Well i´m used to 180+ fps and in large battles 48-75fps.
    Lately i go down to 25 and below?
    What the hell have you done to the game ffs!?
  11. DarkJackal

Been like that for me for a long long time and the hardest part is noticing it when it happens when you're busy doing stuff like playing the game. IN fact, I can almost gauge the performance of other folks playing too as high performing folks in the server become incredibly hard to hit as my 40 FPS client isn't getting all the information as possible and it looks choppier than everyone else I'm shooting at.
  12. Chewy102

I had a few fights where I did better than I thought I could have. Mainly being able to dodge enough enemy fire to make them empty their mag to give me an easy kill by doing a hobo jig of mouse turning and key presses.

One tale of that I should have recorded! Roaming Esamir with an AP lighting doing some squad stuff and get half jumped by a 2/2 smoking magrider. Burnt the magrider, ditched the then on fire lighting to run over a hill, killed BOTH driver (BR 40ish) and gunner (BR 20ish) with dodging their fire at no more than 20m, and found my lighting being repaired by some random guy on a flash.

Not bad for a guy with **** aim and 100ish ping. Good FPS really did wonders for me tonight.
  13. Alarox

I don't literally mean that but it is good enough to explain it to someone who wants to maximize performance.

But yeah, I guess that is too disingenuous.
  14. Jac70

My FPS seems about normal although I use vSync so I probably wouldn't notice if there was a small change. After the patch though I have noticed that something feels off, not sure how to explain it - my mouse movements don't feel as smooth although my FPS is still the same. Might just be my imagination.
  15. Chewy102

Vsync for me adds a LOT of delay in everything. Mouse movement, key presses, any and every thing gets a delay when I use Vsync in any game I play. Never touch the thing and wish it to hell is how I feel about it.
  16. FateJH

That's how Planetside 2 works, more or less.
    Low graphical settings both reduces the complexity of the visual effects and offloads some graphical work onto your CPU. High graphical settings expand the visual effects through use of more involving shaders and pushes the graphical workload back onto your GPU.
  17. iller

For some people...
    it does, but only because their OC'ing or CMOS settings aren't optimized right, or their Drivers are trying to do weird crap.

I'm NOT saying PS2's cache clutter isn't a total mess, I'm just saying that it's a myth that putting a higher load on the GPU magically makes a ton of redundant calculations completely bypass the CPU cache and its northbridge. It might in same cases bypass the RAM but people with properly clocked high Freq RAM would never notice that in the first place. This is based 100% on what the Coders told us last year in the Tech subforum while still taking it with a huge grain of salt
    • Up x 1
  18. Chewy102

???????

Went into my useroptions.ini and the FPS cap was set to 250. Not the 60 I thought it was set to. WTH?

This makes for more questions for me. The render quality trick failed me last night for the start of the night putting me at 30FPS or less for an hour+ or so and then after Indar crashed (just all players on Indar and not the other maps) in an alert I was back up to 55+FPS with a relog WHILE being around the cluster ***** of 3 factions running full spee back to the empty fronts with 25 minutes of an alert to go. Why the **** is my FPS being capped to 30 and 60 when ever the game chooses when the settings wasn't even set for a capped FPS till 250? And using an infantry terminal still tanks my FPS, maybe that screen or something about the menus in general as I noticed the FPS tank in other menus as well but didn't think about it as seeing a FPS drop on a static screen isn't easy to see without a counter.

Something is more broken than I thought. Going to remove that line to cap the FPS in the user options and see what that does.
  19. NinjaTurtle

fps isn't so bad most of the time for me, I can keep a stable 60 on med-high

What is making it impossible to play are the constant ping spikes. Came back after 3 months to see what the game was like and performance is still as **** as it was back then. In 2 days I am frustrated and pissed off.

Why do SOE make it so hard to want to stick around
  20. Cest7

OP. Go to task manager and and look at the Performance tab. Is planetside using <50% of your CPU? does it jump up to 75%+ when you mess with your settings?

Turn off core parking.