Noob in need of LMG wisdom.

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by pvtmiller13, Jun 4, 2015.

1. pvtmiller13

Hello, I am VERY new to this game. I have not played many pc shooters before. Please don't burn me for saying that. But I was wondering what the most useful TR lmg for long range combat is. I usually try to go for longer range shots, and more often than not, the bullet spread becomes so bad that it seems like hipfiring while blindfolded would give me better results. I usually prefer guns with low spread. I can handle some recoil. any suggestiosn from you pros would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    pvtmiller13
  2. TerminalT6

Technically, the TR's ranged LMG is the TMG-50. From a personal standpoint, I don't like it. It's got pretty bad recoil and some bad bullet spread as well, which is the trade-off for it's better than average damage (for TR, at least). For range, the Rhino, Bull, or NS-15M can also do well. I would suggest testing them all in the VR training room, to see which one you like best.

You can also trial weapons from the store, and use them to kill actual players instead of training dummies.
    A lot of people really hate the Rhino, but it's laser-accurate and controllable, which is why I liked it.

Also, as a general note for shooting at range, try burst firing. How long the burst should be depends on the range and gun, but holding down the trigger can cause you to miss a lot more.

This is one of the more recent reviews of the TMG-50
  3. AlterEgo

In effect, the best weapons at range are the ones that either:
    1. Hit the hardest.
    2. Can land more shots more accurately.
    #1 is no TR trait. The New Conglomerate can do that well, though, with their hard-hitting Gauss SAW. #2, on the other hand, is something the TR can definitely do. If you want a good weapon for range, get either the T32 or T16; these are your best options, as they can do very well at medium ranges, and long range performance is modest at least. Recoil is also very managable on them, too, but they will take time to acquire because of the cert price increases made a week ago. Trying them out would be recommended, and to do so, simply click the purchase icon, look to the bottom of the purchase window, and it'll give you the option to trial it for 30 minutes. See which one you like, man, and I hope this helped:D
  4. RainbowDash9

rhino is love, rhino is life.

seriously though its good. and if for some reason you need to use it for cqc the 200 round magazine is nice.
  5. Iridar51

What others have said, long range combat is not TR's strong point. Both Rhino and TMG-50 are workable, though. You can also consider NS-15M2, it's not as accurate as Rhino or TMG-50, but it has much less vertical recoil. With proper attachments, it's pretty much a point and click at most ranges.

However, All LMGs have the same spread per point of damage done, so it's not really about specific weapons in this case, it's about burst control.

To learn about that, watch this Wrel's video:

Also check out my Beginner's Guide to learn about the game in general. Link is in my signature.
  6. Keldred

Your going to want to either get the T32- Bull or T16-Rhino. I prefer the Bull.
  7. _itg

This was actually my first shooter, and I got to be fairly competent after a few hundred hours. In some ways, it's good being inexperienced, because (well, if you're like I was, anyway) your expectations of yourself are low enough that you won't be tempted to blame the game every time you die.

As for what gun to get, my vote is for the TMG-50 if you can handle vertical recoil, the Rhino if you're struggling with it. One thing that's important to learn for range combat is burst firing. That is, simply shoot a few bullets, stop, then start firing again. The longer you hold down the trigger, the less accurate your gun will be, even if the crosshair is on target. They call that "cone of fire bloom."

Also, keep in mind that automatic weapons in general aren't that great past a certain range, maybe about 75m for the long-range ones (but I'm terrible at estimating distance, so anyone who isn't is free to correct me). Beyond that range, sniper rifles are the best weapons. I mention this mainly so you keep your expectations realistic.
  8. Gutseen

NS-15, Compensator+F.Grip+Soft point+ iron sights
    The Meta never changes, all of the TR lmgs are trash. Even the auraxium one
  9. Khallixtus

If you are a beginner and a long range fighter, Rhino is the way to go, for sure. It's recoil almost doesn't exist once it's been certed up, and it's spread isn't all that bad, and is pretty good for TR LMGs, which generally bloom out a bit faster than average. The TMG-50 is the supposed long-range LMG of the TR, but I dislike it. It is harder hitting than any other TR LMGs, but it suffers from blooming out at a ridiculous speed. You don't truly understand how horrible it is until you've hipfired it for 3 seconds. The only downside to the Rhino is it's relatively poor DPS, being 143 dmg at 652 rpm, whereas T9 Carv has 143 at 750 rpm (but I find that the insane accuracy very nearly makes up for it).

Don't try to use the T9 Carv for long range when beginning, save it for those 5-25m fights, where it excels.

Also, make sure you burst fire. This involves getting off 7-10 shots (some higher/lower depending on gun), stopping for a very short time (think 0.2 seconds) then firing again. This will reset/lower your cone of fire, meaning you will land more shots.