Non-Combat Interactions

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by -Synapse-, Sep 24, 2013.

1. -Synapse-

We all love us some runny, shooty, stabby action. But every now and then you just want to solve things more... diplomatically. Of course, it's always faster and easier just to shoot your enemies, but I find it much more fun and rewarding to come up with different ways around our differences. For example:

There was a time nearly two months ago when I was in a sunder parked outside a building, and there was an NC MAX inside shooting my Sunderer with his shotguns (clearly a new player). So I waited for a bit until he was out of ammunition, upon which I told him via /say that his shotguns had no effect on the Sunderer. I did this to humiliate him slightly in order to make the next action go more smoothly.

I got out of the Sunderer and approached the MAX cautiously. When he didn't attack, I opened dialogue.
    "I can give you some ammo." I said, appealing to his now lowered state and setting myself up as a savior figure.
    He generously accepted and I dropped an ammo box. While he was refilling I struck up a deal.
    "Tell you what," I began confidently, "I'll go get my MAX suit out and we can go mess with the VS for a while. Y'know, sort of a temporary alliance sort of deal." This was an offer he couldn't refuse, being new to the game and all he needed someone to show him the ropes, and who better than the guy who just sparred his life and offered to help him out?

So we rolled out in our MAX suits, blue and red working together on a small scale to capture some low-pop bases. At the end of the hour we went our separate ways and haven't seen each other since.

And that's the story of how I used the once extremely powerful NC MAX for my own purposes.

But befriending an enemy isn't the only way to to use diplomacy in this game. No, I actually used these skills in order to save my killstreak at one point:

I was driving a Harasser with an engie in the back, getting kills and racking up certs. Of course, an enemy (VS) Harasser got on my tail and began to pursue me. I weaved in and out of the snow-laden pine trees before boosting out into an open field. However, despite my various attempts, the VS buggy kept on my tail. His gunner blew my engineer out the back, effectively killing my only safe means of repair.

Rather than fight it out and risk losing my bonus XP, I decided to try and appeal to my assailant's better nature.

I bailed out of the flaming remains of my Harasser and took a knee in front of my enemy's now-parked vehicle. The main gun of his Harasser was pointed at me, but didn't fire. Upon seeing hesitation I decided to strike... with a decisive V+8 voice command.

"Sorry!" My character blurted out.

Upon which I stood and dropped a box of ammo (the only cross-faction benefit I could provide), and backed away slowly occasionally apologizing just to be safe. Luckily, my opponents were swayed by the display, and drove off after refilling their empty guns.

And that's how I preserved my killstreak for another hour or so.

While our methods for interacting with other players in general is fairly limited, (Ever been forced to shoot at a friendly vehicle to get their attention?) I think it's a statement to your social skills if you can find interesting combat alternatives within the rigid system we are given.
    Anyhow, please feel free to add your own stories. I enjoy reading about the unique experiences of others.
    :)
    • Up x 4
  2. Mr_Giggles

I saw a blue guy once. I shot him.
    • Up x 1
  3. -Synapse-

[IMG]
    • Up x 8
  4. HadesR

Not really as deep as yours but back pre-lattice during off hours I was solo capping a base and a lone TR came to defend it .. I would cap the point then set up overwatch and snipe him as he capped it back .. This went back and forth for 5 minutes or so with a little banter like " Nice HS " or " Sneaky bastard infi ".

Eventually I pm'd him and called a truce .. Told him it wasn't the best fun for either of us and if he wanted to find a better fight I would leave and not attempt to cap the base .. We both agreed and went on our merry way .
  5. Mr_Giggles

Yeah that's what happened to him too.
    • Up x 7
  6. MrMurdok

I would've run him over.
    • Up x 1
  7. Liewec123

I just couldn't imagine getting along with the reds!
  8. KenDelta

-Looks at forums icon- And go back to a terminal just to be executed by such acts?!??!

And uh PS2 is pretty much about shoot 1st , shoot after and shoot later.

Love the idea tho.
  9. RHINO_Mk.II

I've told a pilot that I had no ammo left and he did the gentlemanly thing and let me re-arm before we proceeded to destroy each other.
    • Up x 1
  10. Klondik3

If you get killed few times by a same guy, call him a cheater and threaten to report him for cheating. It usually hurts their game a bit.

Also if there is a MAX camping the room, start smack talking and call him a noob for using the MAX suit. If he starts responding then go in and throw c4 on him while hes typing.
    • Up x 1
  11. Kunavi

You captured Control Points in MAX suits?... Is that possible, or was it then? Sorry if I read it wrong, I'm tired.

Oh and..

TRAITORS DIE IN SHAME :mad: But nicely played ~.~
  12. TheBloodEagle

...not sure if worth reading.
  13. -Synapse-

I switched out at the Sunderer. Forgot to point that out.
    And trust be, for every NC/VS I sparred there's a whoooole lot more dead ones ;)
    Probably not, I just thought it was an interesting concept.
  14. Cougarbrit

I've witnessed and dealt in the occasional bit of 'diplomacy', where otherwise-enemies would ignore each other in favour of mutal benefits.

I'm only generally diplomatic myself though during the night, when there's not as many people around and a good fight can be a fragile thing not so easily replaced. In the daytime, I ain't got time for diplomacy, war is hell and noob or no, my mosquito/harasser/liberator/prowler/lightning/gun hasn't the time to be welcoming enemies with anything more than bullets and explosives.
  15. Brayton

I once ran through VS territory just yelling Check fire everywhere as an NC. A VS guy asked me what I was doing and I said, "Running to the TR Warpgate and back."

3 VS joined me.
    • Up x 5
  16. HLM

Cool stories, bro (no, really)
    A few times I've messed around running into groups of enemies spamming the "friendly fire!" command with my pistol drawn, again and again until it worked. Got an enemy MAX to follow me around one time.

I used to do the same thing in PS1 as well - though it was easier back then. You had more useful voice commands ("Cease fire!", "Stop!") and you could run around without weapons drawn.
  17. Flashtirade

hi-fives/fist bumps when
  18. Meeka

I was playing NC once, defending Aramax Chemical from a warpgated TR... when the VS decided to roll in. Myself and the TR attacking the base decided to make a temporary truce... they would help defend the point and then back away and allow me to re-cap it for the NC until all the VS were beaten off... it was certainly interesting having NC and TR not shooting each other and just attacking the VS. I think the VS were more than frustrated having to deal with a collaborating NC/TR as they had witnessed us fighting each other brutally just moments before. Normally, I would have been happy with the three way battle, but the VS had us all outnumbered 3-1, even united... in the end, we won, and I let the TR cap the base back peacefully.
  19. Brayton

There was this other time that I accidentally dropped on VS territory in the middle of a big fight between the VS an TR. We weren't dropping there so the VS noticed and kinda...helped me get out, I still got sniped by the a ******* TR infiltrator but it was nice.
  20. L1ttlebear

These are awesome stories! :D Moments like these are some of my favorite gaming experiences and while I can not think of any off of the top of my head, I can say that I have had moments like these and have made long term friends this way :)