NMS Archer is a complete monstrisity

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mausmane, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Mausmane

Looks like a barret 50 call, chambers like one, and is all around scary looking.

It's bullet drop off is horrible, it's DPS is atrocious, it CANT kill infantry in one headshot (what?!), it's only good vs maxs and I rarely even get in a max anymore because A: They can't hit anything more then 5 feet in front of them even with Mercys and B: everyone and their cousin can kill one without trying now.

Look, this rifle is slow, has no scope sway, horrible weapon drop, and is basically useless vs. everything that isn't a max.

Make it an anti-material rifle!! The weapon speed should be fine, but add a scope sway and make it HIT like a 50 caliber would hit!

Headshots should be one and done, it's so slow and you can't cloak with it so going infiltrator is still easily the best route to snipe. But these rounds should tear up infantry if making contact with them, still. Still worried about engi snipers? add scope sway, and make the equip/unequip time as slow as the chambering time. And boost it's muzzle velocity. And it should be ripping apart harassers or any light vehicles a well...

This gun is like the platypus of planetside 2, but it aint cute. It's just backwards and weird.
    • Up x 1
  2. Corezer

What the hell are you talking about, Archer is GREAT!

IF YOU DONT LIKE ARCHER, YOU DONT LIKE AMERICA AND YOU SUPPORT ISIS!!!! (who gets that one?)

...I actually went on a date with one of the animators once, she was quite nice, but I didn't feel the connection I was looking for, mainly because she was a little chubby. Not that there's anything wrong with a little weight to a girl, I just happen to live an extremely disciplined lifestyle when it comes to both diet and exercise, and the kind of lifestyle she lived was a point of incompatibility.
    • Up x 7
  3. Dgross

Bingo! Don't want to kill MAX units? Don't use the Archer. It's fine at what it does.
    And yet another thread...
    • Up x 6
  4. Jubikus

Should be because it makes sense and should be because of balance are different things entirely.
    A 1 shot headshot makes sense as the weapon is a high caliber gun and wrecks maxes however this weapon cant be a 1 shot headshot as then what would be the point in ever pulling standard snipers as they would be only slightly less effective at killing infantry amazing at killing maxes and can peck at vehicles tho it doesnt do much it can make ESF leave after a few shots which would be amazing as a traditional sniper.
    I play this game mainly as a sniper and if this thing 1 shot headshot infantry i would always take it over the standard snipers as the versatility of the weapon and engineer class itself with turrets landmines and unlimited ammo would out way what you get as an infiltrator.

Niche weapons need to be worse than the well rounders we already have in every way other than their intended roll like the NS blackhand and its range stats but worse than commissioner in every other way like only having 4 bullets.
    • Up x 1
  5. thebigbortishbort

it shouldnt 1 shot kill in the head or it'll be an even worse monstrosity and get nerfed to the firey oblivion of the flying dutchmens arm pit , cmon be real here.

in reality though ive managed to counter snipe decently with this weapon and it is quite a blast pecking at aircraft with it , stolen a few kills that way ;)
    • Up x 1
  6. Xiad

And to round off the counterarguments to the post, within the current state of the game, the AM rifle is specifically designed to deal with heavily armoured infantry units, not vehicles. It oughtn't do that much more damage to vehicles. There's already enough out there that can hit vehicles at a reasonable range. If you are lucky enough to play VS, we have our HA/MAX AV weaponry. TR/NC don't quite pull the same weight at extreme ranges, but that's part of faction diversity. You don't get to have our long range paint-scratchers. You made your choice.

Admittedly, I haven't been able to play after the new update because my mouse of about three years has decided that now is the time to double up on most of my clicks, which is endlessly frustrating...but even so, I do not relish the idea of AV MAX base defence with my Comets. Beforehand, if a base became surrounded by vehicles, I would simply pop a MAX and shred the lot of them, only being truly mindful of snipertanks and their AP shells (a very easy thing to do in standard towers, shred tanks). Even just a couple of AM riflemen could ruin my chances now, I suspect. You talk as if this weapon isn't a big deal, OP. Perhaps in the grand scheme of things it isn't but, like many weapons available in our arsenal, there are specific times and places where it will utterly dominate, when used correctly.
  7. Crayv

Well at least people can't accuse DBG of only releasing OP weapons to force you to spend Dank Bucks them before they get nerfed.
    • Up x 1
  8. ColonelChingles

So then it would do zero damage to Sunderers, Lightnings, and MBTs? :D
    • Up x 5
  9. UberNoob1337101

ZOMFG I CAN'T KILL PEOPLE WITH A WEAPON WITH AN OHK EVEN THOUGH IT CLEARLY SAID IT WAS AGAINST MECHANIZED INFANTRY!!!! PLZ BUFF!!!!!!!! Everything is bad about this post, this is a definition of a ****post. The only thing i can agree on is effectiveness against light armor, that needs a buff because no other weapon does that in a category where all anti-max weapons do something else super-effectively. Else this is a meaningless buff call with no radical explanation or reasonable thought put into it.
    • Up x 1
  10. Pikachu

Kobalt is the .50 caliber weapon in this game. Making archer hit like that would not be good.
    • Up x 1
  11. OldMaster80

Which is exactly what we all knew since the beginning.
    • Up x 2
  12. Flag

To be fair it's not exactly very damaging to those vehicles. :p
  13. Pointyguide2

There's a lot of talk about the arvher . I don't care. But I do care about my hard earned certs. So please offer full refund before buffing the archer or nerfing it.
  14. eldarfalcongravtank

Archer has become my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE weapon in the entire game, right after my Barry of course!

it's my go-to gun for chilled laid-back sniping of infantry, Maxes and vehicles alike in the distance. i love its looks, animations and sounds. it's just outright BAD4SS! and killing a Max from 500 meters away (yes, i did it, in fact it was 510m) or getting the last shot on burning ESFs/Libs and killing the entire crew gives me an outrageously great and satisfying feeling. no other weapon can accomplish this so easily.

Archer probably has been the best addition to the game in a long long time. i cant remember when i had so much fun with a single weapon (except Barry). i love you, Barry and Archy!
    • Up x 2
  15. Mausmane

**** post?!

Balance is good and all.

BUT PS2 CROSSED A LINE when they took the outline of something as iconic as the barret .50 cal and made it one of the gimpiest slow *** tater tot shooting robot slaying hunk of metal the gaming world has ever seen!!!

Seriously, nobodies afraid of engi snipers! Either delete this horrible contraption or buff it's damn damage vs. inf (while nerfing its equip speed and keeping it slower then dogsh!t add bullet drop if you must!)! I NEVER PLAY ENGI BUT IT KEEPS ME UP AT NIGHT KNOWING THIS HORRIBLE CREATURE IS CRAWLING AROUND IN THE PS2 UNIVERSE.

jus sayin.
  16. Xellon

Soooo, you're just mad that the "iconic .50 cal" doesn't punch holes as big as your fist through anything?
    Or in other words, you've expected this weapon to be a certain something and now you're pissed that it isn't?

And then you state that you will, effectively, never use this weapon anyway, but you still want us to take you and your suggestion serious?

If that's correct, please forgive that I burst in a short laugher and then continue to not give a damn while I blow the heads off some MAX Units.
  17. FieldMarshall

Its ok as anti-MAX at medium range, but thats pretty much it.
    Its good at something the AV turret can already do without giving up a primary slot AND you can kill tanks with it.

I would usggest moving it to the turret slot, and maybe nerf infantry damage to compensate.
    • Up x 1
  18. Pikachu

:D
    [IMG]
  19. Haquim

A small hole ain't gonna stop the vehicle, but wouldn't it be pretty bad for the driver and passengers of the Sunderer?
    It is sturdier than a MBT in the game, but I always thought it was supposed to be a ligthtly armored/armed personnel carrier.
  20. Cheetoh

A high-powered sniper rifle firing armor piercing bullets that do enormous damage to MAX units, yet does minimal damage to soft infantry is, well... preposterous.

It truly is amazing these nonsensical people still have jobs.
    • Up x 1