NMG and Nanoweave: Do They Stack?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Nakar, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Nakar

Note, I'm not talking about Resist Shield. I know that doesn't work.

I recall it being mentioned that when using NMG/AS, Flak Armor applies to any explosive damage absorbed by the overshield. That is, if I have Flak 5 and throw my shield up and some explosion would do 500 damage to me, only 250 damage is done to my overshield. Indeed, any rank of Flak would stack instead of being overwritten like Resist Shield's 45%, because NMG itself has no resists to conflict with Flak. Likewise Nanoweave had no effect whatsoever on the overshield back in the old days because it was +health, and the overshield isn't health.

What I want to know is whether anyone's tested if the new Nanoweave, which grants damage resistance instead of health, stacks with NMG. If I have NW5 does it reduce non-headshot damage to my overshield by 20%? I suspect it does, but I haven't recerted it to test.
  2. Kartaugh

They don't stack.

If you have NMG up, it will eat 100% damage until it's gone, then you have your nanoweave resistance for your actual health pool.

This has been basically the **** Heavy Assaults patch.
    • Up x 2
  3. repairtool6

it dosent stack, how could it?

@Kartaugh: dont agree. this patch with the nanoweave-changes so it no longer works on headshot has been a very very big buff for HA.
  4. MrEclectic

Yes.

NMG+NW5 is either 1857 ehp (effective hit points) against small arms fire when NMG is activated, or 2008 ehp. NW5 is 20% reduction of small arms fire, excluding headshots, which go through NW.

The question is if NW applies the reduction to the core hit point pool (500 shields+500health), or to the overshieild one (607 NMG+500 shield+500 health). Flak, prior to PU02, used to mitigate damage to the whole hit point pool (overshield+shield+health), so NW probably follows the same logic.

Note that nominally NMG is 650 hit points, but it has an activation cost of 47 hit points. Also, as the timer of an activated NMG is ticking, each tick is reducing the effective hit points of NMG.
  5. Posse

I was wondering the same thing, we would have to run a test for it, but it's pretty tough to know for certain because of how NMG works (with the shield depleting over time).
  6. ROMNEYTRON

I'd like to know this as well. I used to run Resist/Nano, but now I run NMG/Nano and I feel a bit tankier than the alternatives. Can anyone confirm with hard numbers though?
  7. HerpTheDerp

NW + Resist Shield went from best HA combination to worthless one, because the damage resistances do not stack - you're just getting the Resist Shield resistance(because it's higher). It's a wasted suit slot.

As for whether NMG gets the resistance from NW, it never got the resitance from Flak, so why would it?
  8. Crackulous

No, they changed flak a while back such that those resistances didn't stack. If these two stack, it'll likely be changed in time.
  9. CaptainAmeda

Flak stacks seamlessly with NMG, making you a deadly tank killer. I've tested this, I know.

Resist shield is not worthless, lol, throw on the ASC with it and you're really good are medium range, however, ASC should be buffed a little more IMO, to 6 seconds total reduction in regen time. It's really not a bad combo if you're rocking a lot of med packs
  10. Saool

You are certainly right that Resist and Nano don't stack, but I disagree that it makes nano a wasted suit slot. After much reading and thinking, I opted to still use both. my thinking is this:

I die far, far more to small arms than anything else.

If I about to enter a room or area where I know I will be fighting I pop the shield. Here nano is useless, but I am still getting the 45/50% or so damage reduction.

If my shield depletes I'm still going to have 25% reduction until I can get the shield back up.

I don't often know I'm going to be shot. If someone shoots me from behind the nano is there and might give me that half second to get my shield up and get out of their line of fire / return fire.

It's unquestionably worse than before. But, it's the same for everyone.
  11. HerpTheDerp

"If my shield depletes" - Resist Shield depletes so slowly(compared to NMG) and recharges so quickly(compared to NMG) that I don't know when that would ever be an issue.
  12. Saool

In sustained fights it becomes an issue.

Having said that I've started to mess around with the adrenal shield in the last few days. The jury is still out however.
  13. jiggu

That's an l2p issue, not a shield issue.
  14. Saool

Oh well silly me. Thanks for your opinion random fps guy.

Now for an encore would you like to elaborate or are we just going to stick to CoD kiddie insults? You see, I do play and I play hard. I get stuck in pushing forward, not concerned with deaths to win the objective. And if you do that you get stuck in the thick of it and do take sustained fire and need to learn shield management.

What you don't do is hang back like a coward.

So come on hot shot, do explain how I need to learn to play?
  15. jiggu

What I was saying, though somewhat rudely, is that you need to learn to manage your shield. If you actually run out of the resist shield you are doing it wrong. And the resist shield has far superior uptime to NMG and AS, your argument doesn't really make sense because you'd have a harder time with those.
  16. that_darn_lurker

Basically, the MAX is the true HA. The current HA pretender's job is to follow the MAX meat shield and take out the targets aggro'd by the MAX.
  17. Dramonicous

As an example to what your saying...
    Today I played about 90% HA over ~5 hours, and only once have my resist shield run out.
    And even then it was because I thought I had turned it off.