New vehicle physics bugs.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BlackDove, Nov 26, 2013.

1. BlackDove

Usually, I just flip when a vehicle gets attached to the roof, even though I don't touch the roof at an angle that would cause anything like that to happen.

This time, I'm on Esamir in an open field, and I land to repair. When I take off, the vehicle pitches uncontrollably forward. I land again, wait, then take back off and the vehicle pitches forward and flips. This is getting ridiculous.

I don't know if it's something to do with lag compensation or what, but the vehicles flip more than ever since the updates.
  2. vsae

This is nothing compared to the frightful slide of landed liberators or when their back strut falls through the ground and acts as an anchor.
  3. uhlan

My Lightnings regularly flip over or launch themselves while driving over grains of sand...
  4. Zotamedu

Yesterday, a harasser flipped my lightning and a Sunderer by just touching them. The physics in this game really needs a proper overhaul. What is that one guy from Nvidia doing? Is the PhysX engine really this crap?
  5. Squibo

I came around a corner yesterday and scared the red off of a TR harasshole when I shot him with my AP Vanguard. He turned, it a bump, flipped, rolled THREE times, and exploded.. there were no survivors.. v . v
  6. Kumaro

Hit a small rock which caused my squads sundy to flip on it's a'ss. Insta killed it.
    Moments later we see another sundy on it's a'ss and it didn't die <.<

interesting event 2 ESF's sometimes lose their lift as if hitting an air pocket and drops from the sky. XD

oh and i rammed a vanguard head on today with my lighting. The vanguard flipped forward flying over my lightning, landed on it's roof behind me and exploded...i got two kills O_O
  7. Arbite

I am not sure if these bugs are new but I have definitely experienced them. For me, it is most common when I am trying to take off in an air vehicle. I get that sudden nose down pitch that was mentioned above. Also, sometimes my harasser drives fine and I have fun dune buggy'ing my way around maps. But sometimes that same harasser hits just the small contours in the ground and flips onto it's head and slides 400 meters and I can't do anything but get out or die in confusion.
  8. Keiichi25

PhysX has nothing to do with this. PhysX is about Particle effects, not actual object physics.

The game engine itself, on the other hand, has no proper 'mass' physics... IE: no 'mass' values assigned to object. Tanks and Sunderers, should weigh MORE than a Harasser, yet flipping a Lightning with a Harasser is not exactly 'right', or rolling a Lightning due to a slight elevation difference on the left or right, even at a high speed, shows a lack of actual proper 'mass' inertia, in my opinion.
  9. IamDH

Strange.

Some people have claimed that their ESF has launched upwards and flipped after landing (resulting in its death). I have never experienced this tho
  10. Zotamedu

That's where you are wrong. PhysX is a complete physics engine with the possibility of a handful of eye candy, like particle effects, fluid dynamics and cloth, being rendered on an Nvidia GPU. So far, only 25 games support that extra eye candy and Planetside 2 is listed as one of them even though the support has been absent for more time than it's been available. The rest of the 400+ games just use the physics engine and take no advantage what so ever of any Nvidia or Aegis hardware. I doubt that SOE bothered to write and entire physics engine and then only implemented particle effects from PhysX. Especially since they have been given an engineer from Nvidia which is granted to larger projects. The few particle effects is just too small a part for that to make sense.

Many games chose PhysX instead of writing their own physics engine because PhysX is free for PC games and larger projects that are branded with the "the way it's meant to be played" brand get a lot of help by engineers from Nvidia that assists in the development.

Check the list of games that use the PhysX engine and you'll see lots and lots of small, unknown games. They can save quite a lot of time and money using a prebuilt physics engine instead of writing their own.

There seems to be ways to implement inertia and things like that in the game. MANA turrets have "infinite" weight and will stop any vehicle dead in it's tracks. Also have a look at the values assigned to bullets and things like that. It seems like there is some global physics working but that it's bugged and not set up properly for vehicles. Try driving and you will feel the inertia.

The two problems seems to be related to difference in mass between the vehicles and the centre of gravity. There is obviously some strange things done to the Sunderer that makes it flip back to the right side so it seems like they have messed with the physics quite a bit to make them seem more stable. But they apparently missed something when it comes to the harasser.

Furthermore, there is a lot of work that needs to be done with friction since all surfaces seems to be made out of ice and it's impossible to get any proper grip anywhere.