[Suggestion] New turret idea

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Maniac3255, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Maniac3255

Hi guys I am posting an idea for a new kind of turret. I thought about this while using the Auto turret. The turret would be an automatic Anti Vehicle turret. I thought of several variants that the community would consider. Along with countermeasures and a general idea of what to do with it. I thought about this when getting bombarded by air. If you ever played Battlefield 4 they implemented a anti air turret for the engineer. The general turret would allow the engineer to place two at once. As a default there would only be one turret until upgraded to have two. Listed below are a few ideas and their countermeasures.

Turret: both air/ground
    type: lock-on fire
    similar to the annihilator stats

Turret: both air/ground
    type: dumb fire lock on
    similar to the coyote missiles and how it works

turret: ground vehicles only
    type: lock on
    similar: annihilator

Turret: air only
    type: dumb fire lockon
    similar: coyote

countermeasure:
    Flares/smoke
    stealth
    armor

These are a few ideas considering we already have a auto infantry turret. Anyone would consider that these would be spammed. So only having two and that the damage output would be low. To make it a little less OP at the start the turret would only fire in the direction it was set. Max of two turrets. Only engineer.

After talking with a few other gamers we considered another variant of the turret would be faction specific.
    TR: fracture turret
    NC: phoenix turret
    VS: Lancer turret
    -OR-
    NS: Masamune (4 rockets) /swarm (three rockets) turret.

The only things to consider after which turret to pick is the Ammo. The biggest problem is if it was infinite ammo like the auto turret in the game it would need a long reload time. The other way is to consider it like Battlefield 4's turret where it destroys itself after one rocket launched. There is never a true fire way to stop spamming of anything. I also consider this a great asset to the game considering the skyguard is more to deter air than anything else.

anything else you can think of post below.
  2. BrbImAFK

One - Engineers should never have two turrets. They're already pretty much the most versatile class ingame. I loves me some engy, but two turrets would be way OP.

Two - People hate AI stuff. It largely came in with the new construction bases, and it's been pretty unpopular ever since. People want to fight other people, not NPCs. The only reason Beepy survives is the fact that it's practically useless. I love Beepy, but I've got to be honest here.

Three - Tons of people already run stealth or flares already, so these turrets would affect a small minority of the players - primarily the newbies that are just getting into vehicles and haven't fully certed them out yet. Newbies have a hard enough time without making it any harder.

Four - You haven't thought your idea through. What would be the point of the Annihilator-type ground-only turret when you're proposing an Annihilator-type ground AND AIR turret? As for coyotes, they've been nerfed fairly hard. You need to get them pretty close for the lockon to function. I doubt that they'll be able to decently balance the AI, which will result in either being useless (with the coyotes almost never getting close enough to lock) or massively OP (with pretty much every Coyote locking and hitting pretty much every time).

Overall, this is just a bad idea. Go back to the drawing board and try again.
  3. Maniac3255

Gotcha, I was thinking of something similar to what BF4 had. I'll take another look. also those were just an idea. The devs could pick one. What do you think of factions specific turret?
  4. BrbImAFK

I'm all for faction specific stuff. If I had to pick one thing, I'd probably go for a ES AA turret - it's a niche that's been empty for a while, so may as well fill it with something ES. I'm not saying that ES AI / AV turrets wouldn't be nice, but we already have those, so it would be a bit of a duplication.
  5. Maniac3255

6. BrbImAFK

Sorry. Standard abbreviation for "Empire Specific".
  7. Maniac3255

ah i usually just say factions.
  8. SlugSniper

I've thought about something along the lines of BF4's AA mines before. It would fire an instant-lock homing missile at aircraft that get too close. The player can deploy up to two at a time. The downside: each mine only gets one shot, just like a regular mine.

As for an AA turret, it should be a deployable 40mm manual turret; a bigger target than other turrets, but capable of 360-degree rotation.
  9. Maniac3255

that's exactly what I meant to say I just didn't say it as good as you =P
  10. Problem Officer

Auto turrets that can hit back, where's that?
  11. Deffington

I'd just prefer to have a burster/hyena AA turret.
  12. AgentRed

Well DBG does have the models of AA and AV spitfire turrets made people datamined it in 2015. People also made their own
    http://imgur.com/a/yFfeI
  13. Eternaloptimist

I get where OP is coming from but I'd settle for an AA turret operated by my engies like the AI/AV turrets - think Walker or Ranger or even Basilisk on legs (maybe not so many barrels as the vehicle mounted versions, to avoid being too powerful?)

Not sure that taking an HA RL and sticking it on an auto mount is the way to go, whereas variants of the vehicle guns are at least already designed as mounted, crew served weapons and they fire bullets/shells rather than rockets.