New Trial Capture Mechanic For Xroads / The Crown

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Sep 9, 2015.

1. HadesR

Thoughts ?

Mine ...

1) Isn't it once again promoting the zerg as it will be possible to overload the Gen within seconds of arriving at the base ..
    The best way to take these bases in the first place was to zerg them out, now it's even more so ..

2) Why ?
    Be nice to get changes the players actually want ( Resource revamp etc ) rather than ones players don't ask for ..

But no the ones the players want are cancelled or on the back burner for God knows how long while we get for the most part unneeded changes ( Looking at the last patch's capture changes )

Just seems they are trying to tackle and change everything .. Well everything but the real problems with the game .. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  2. Jubikus

Its a test honestly i think its to promote the opposite of a zerg the current problem with the bases in question is that unless you have a zerg you arnt going to take the base and therefor it gets ignored with a mechanic like this it would now be possible for smaller organized squads to hit the base in a well coordinated fashion and have some success.
    • Up x 1
  3. HadesR

And then sit there bored for 6 mins because the fights been killed :rolleyes:

Being able to kill fights so quickly before they have even begun seems very anti - FPS to me ..
    • Up x 2
  4. LodeTria

The crown isn't a base that needs this.
    It needs to be done to Indar Ex & howling pass.

Now I know how this system is being vaguely inserted, by being 1 line of code or so as radarX said on reddit. SCUs need to be added to the 2 bases I mentioned, and then this mechanic added after that.
  5. Sekaszy

Its not promote zerging.

Current capture mechanic on towers promote zerging, because Zerg is only way to actually capture those ******* towers, men.

Its actually great change on gameplay on Indar, its gonna finally open West Indar basses to attackers from East.

We need same mechanic implemented into Indar Ex Tower so North is opened to West
    and into Crimson Bluff Tower to East is Opened to North.

They are finally improving game mechanic,, not only giving us new weapons.
  6. Taemien

If you ask me, all bases should be like this. Though Techplants, Ampstations, and Biolabs should have a slightly more complex way of taking them. Its a step in the right direction. Fixes two issues:

1. Attackers can't camp a spawn, no spawn to camp.
    2. Defenders can't play spawnroom warrior and pad KDRs, they have to redeploy and be halfway useful.

So for me, on the attacking and defending side, it works.

Zerg's not coordinated enough for it. All it takes is one coordinated squad to turtle on one point to c-block a zerg from getting the SCU. Means its a 7-12 minute long cap like normal as the zerg can only get two points.

The difference is that coordinated attackers can come in and wipe out the turtling unit and push for an SCU drop. This is a good thing. The counter to coordination should be coordination.

I have been asking for more SCU mechanics. So I am getting what I want.

Six minutes that you have to prepare for the next push.
    Six minutes that a defender can come in for a counter attack.
    Six minutes that you can use to send Bravo, Charlie, and Delta to do something else.

You all really need to start thinking outside the box. Camping a spawn isn't the end all and be all of Planetisde 2. SCU's make it so there is no spawn camping. And you get to defend a damaged base without a means to spawn. Good luck with that if a hardcore outfit decides to counter attack with a Gal drop.
    • Up x 1
  7. TheMercator

Stupid idea.
    I still don't see what is the idea behind the SCUs that can be overloaded when the base is captured half.
    It is just like, hey you had trouble with getting controlpoints back, it would be a shame if there would be another point you have to reach in 30 seconds or the base is lost.
  8. Jubikus

A fair point but i can understand that as solutions to promote fighting at thees bases that are simple tweaks to currently existing stuff this is a good starting point it may not be the solution they need but if they at least try it they can see how it goes whats wrong with it and build from there. They have to start somewhere i like thees bases and would enjoy having fights there more often.
  9. defghi

i like this idea, but you cant just implement it at any base to see how it works, you need to build a base around this mechanic in order for it to work right.
  10. Juunro

What it will certainly do is cause yet more Sunderer swarms. With this change the defenders will very likely have to pull one, possible from an adjacent base. It will also heavily promote leaving stealth field sunderers just all over the place.

Which brings up an interesting question: If Sunderers are in all bases and continue to be one of the premier infantry farming vehicles and have the ability to ignore large amounts of terrain, will they catch a serious nerf of some kind? It is not even necessarily that they'd need it, but this game has a history of "If everyone is using X its probably op and so we'll nerf it." from its devs.
  11. Taemien

Think of it this way, more Sundies means more things for the MBTs to hunt which makes them more useful.
  12. Juunro

While true, only one of the MBT's can get into the kind of places you can get Sunderers, such as deep inside Amp stations and up into Hossin bases and so on.
  13. Demigan

One of the few bases that can fight back to the last minutes, and they set up a system where you can take all 3 points and instantly deactivate the SCU...
    The Crown already has a long capture timer, if you don't overload the SCU you can fight there and have fun, if you do overload the SCU you are looking at a long, looooooong timer.

I think the general idea might be good for some bases, changing defense to an offense where they take out enemy spawners and retake the base instead of relying on the spawnroom, but only on a few very select bases, The Crown isn't one of those.
  14. Movoza

On the other hand, if they can take and hold the SCU in the tower, as well as all the points.... Then the base is basically overrun. Of course there are exceptions, but I think this is a good idea. It will prevent spawncamping and the defenders will have to start pulling spawn solutions from other bases. This is generally more effective than spawnroom warriors in my book.

One of the greatest weaknesses of the defenders is predictability. The attackers know where to put up choke points, as the defenders will nearly always spawn at one point and use the same attack routes. The attackers however can put down many Sunderers around the base, varying their attack angles much more, increasing tactical use. When a base is being overrun, your best mode of attack is attacking them from behind. Their forces and more importantly their spawn locations are often spread out and can be taken down, as well as their tanks. This means you can easier whittle down their power instead of just going straight out of the spawn room into their best defended and fortified positions.
    Defenders will learn to anticipate the disaster of losing an SCU, and put down more spawn points in advance. This increases their tactical power both during and after the base is overrun, reducing the power of the zerg.
    • Up x 1
  15. Casterbridge

Kind of what I was thinking, I'm not a vehicle guy but this is going to make vehicles more important, both for attackers and defenders.

Between this and if/when they get ANTs, going vehicle combat should have a much more significant role in PS2.
  16. Scr1nRusher

The defenders just need to defend like they normally do.

Even if the SCU is "vulnerable" its up to the defenders to make sure the attackers do not succeed.

If anything this new mechanic punishes stupid organization & rewards better planning.
  17. Nogrim313

it's not like we have sundies/galaxies/valkyries that can be deployed to while on the move. if it take you more than 6 minutes to redeploy and counter push a base you deserve to lose it.
    • Up x 1
  18. Ghosty11

FYI, this is how bases were capped upon the game's release. Head for spawn generator, then cap base. This is not a new mechanic just a modified one, and a lazy one at that. I don't know how you can say this will not promote a base zerg, since the fastest way to cap the base will be to zerg it to quickly capture and hold all the control points, and the spawn gen for two minutes. This is very similar to how biolabs are ninja capped, except with biolabs you can do it with a small force since you won't even capture any of control points until after the SCU is down.
  19. HadesR

That's how I see it ... Especially when they have moved A outside but now they have kinda added a 4th control point back inside .. They have just reverted the battle back to how every other Tower with the A point inside pans out .. Defenders stair camping and Attackers trying to push a meatgrinder .. Or they can sit on the control points like now so nothing much changes ...

Like I said earlier .. The only fights this will really benefit are the unbalanced ones ..
  20. ModsFreeAreForTV

Oh man this is gonna make zerging easy as hell. DBG please keep doing stuff like this! Most players want it anyway, the inority is the one that constantly reposts about lack of balance or "quality".