New patch killed performance?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Typhoeus, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Typhoeus

So for the past few months I've been enjoying a steady 90+fps with ultra settings, everything enabled except for gpu physics due to the known crashes that come with it. Today I launch planetside2 and a small patch is applied. Log in and find myself with 25fps or lower in big fights. Never seen this before :/

Running with two GTX 660Ti's, an i7 4770K cpu @ 4.5ghz, 16gb Kingston HyperX memory:

Although it's not as evident through youtube, the whole time I was below 25fps in that vid. Take special notice between 0:23 to 0:31, I was at 6fps for that part :/ And before you ask, yes I was purposefully zooming in and out and swirling my view around to tax the game. Usually this isn't even a problem though.

I was asking around in game and it seems most people are unaffected but a handful of us have most definitely been affected as you can see. Please fix SOE :(
    • Up x 4
  2. Pikachu

It all runs fine.
  3. Cab00se187

Sounds like your problem not SOE's
  4. SinerAthin

But by the looks of it, it was a problem caused by changes made by SOE.

If SOE explained what they had changed, it could make it easier for people like the OP to solve or at least figure out what the problem is.
    SOE's goal is after all to improve the performance, and thus the gameplay enjoyment for its playerbase.
    • Up x 4
  5. Cab00se187

Ya but SOE cannot improve what is wrong on the users end if they have a messed up computer.

I have not once, since beta, had any performance issues.
  6. SinerAthin

I think it is highly unlikely that the problem lies exclusively with the user, if the user had previously been able to run Planetside 2 just fine on 90 FPS.
    • Up x 6
  7. PWGuy93

Cleaned out my cached files, ran validation - no problems.
    I have the lowest recommended video card and get 40fps in heavy situations.
  8. Hibiki54

After a couple game updates, it is best to uninstall PS2 and do a clean install.

I was getting low FPS (for my system spec) and after a clean install I was back up to 120 fps (60-80 in huge battles).
    • Up x 1
  9. Rohxer

I posted this in another thread but I'll add my data points to this one as well for the unbelievers:

(Using Ultra settings)

Yesterday my warpgate FPS was a consistent 80-100 FPS. Eighty to One HUNDRED.
    Just logged in, and it is 6-10 FPS. Six to TEN.

Tried three times, same thing.

Something is clearly wrong.

System is:

i7 4770K
    16GB RAM
    GeForce GTX 770

Running @2560x1440 I get 6 FPS at the warpgate.
    Running @1680x1050 on my other monitor I get 10 FPS at the warpgate.

The only difference between last night and today was SOE's hotfix. Saying it's "our fault" is utterly ridiculous.

I'm going to spend some time tweaking the ini file. Since most people seem to be fine, there's probably some setting that only a few of us are using that's causing problems.. we'll see.
    • Up x 3
  10. ({x})Kyoji

Crashing a lot since GU13. Stability is an issue. I run 16gigs of ram with a 4.0 top of the line processor and a GTX 680.
    • Up x 1
  11. Rohxer

SOLUTION: Reboot. :p

Seriously. At least it worked for me. No idea why. I spent a half hour tweaking every setting I could, with no effect. Decided to reboot for the heck of it, loaded up and I'm back to my pre-hotfix FPS. Give it a try, hope it works for those who had the issue I did.
  12. AngryPlayer

I keep crashing every 20 minutes. It's getting real ******* annoying.
    • Up x 1
  13. Lizardonastick

Same framerate problems here with an ATI 6950. Every patch seems to lower the framerate more and more. At 20 FPS it really isn't playable anymore.
    • Up x 1
  14. Typhoeus

I was actually considering doing this but thing is, the game was running perfect just the day before. The lowest fps I'd seen before this patch was in the high 40's. I'd see doing this being a good idea if you notice a gradual loss in performance over many updates but in this case it's like a switch was flipped from on to off. Also I've got a monthly bandwidth limit so testing this might result in wasting 10gb+ of bandwidth.

If any of you other peeps with high end rigs got this problem and try a reinstall, please let us know if it fixed everything ;)
  15. Cab00se187

Also, delete your userconfig.ini then in the PS2 launcher, click on the wrench in the bottom left corner called "Advanced Options". After that, validate game assets and see if that works.
    • Up x 1
  16. Hoki

yeah the UI is SUPER delayed

input responsiveness for interacting, enter, exit is ******* horrible now
    • Up x 1
  17. Typhoeus

Good tip but that was the first thing I did followed by reinstalling vid drivers and rebooting. Didn't help though :(
  18. BoomBoom4You

I have terrible FPS after the latest patch
  19. Cab00se187

It's so odd then. I'm running an old Sata 2 hardrive, old ram, a crappier video card. and a lesser CPU. Your system should blow mine out of the water but I don't drop less than 50 fps and that is everything maxed out. Are you messing with your useroptions.ini file?
  20. earth

yep, my fps has gone from a constant 35-50 in big battles to a 10-25.