New Lynx is good, Old Lynx is as well. Can we have both?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by asdfPanda, Apr 3, 2014.

1. asdfPanda

While I do approve of the changes to the Lynx on pts, I still enjoy using the Lynx in it's current form on live server. Can we have both? It would be optimal if SOE merely added a new 910 rpm carbine, and kept the old Lynx as well.
  2. Paperlamp

We can't have more carbines than the other factions just because most of our old ones are too similar. They have to replace something. The Lynx was for the most part outshined by the Jaguar ever since they started nerfed the higher RoF weapons waaaaay back when the Lynx and Jaguar has the same damage drop-off. It was a clear candidate really.

I do agree we need something to compete with GD-7F and Serpent at close range TTK though, and neither the new Lynx or the Cougar will do so, so IDK what they're going to do about that or if we'll just remain behind in TTK because we get more bullets woo.
  3. asdfPanda

I feel that there were enough differences between the Jaguar in the Lynx. With the Jaguar, you make a tradeoff with the Lynx's better cqc capabilities for mid range. The Lynx has better moving hipfire than the Jaguar, while the Jaguar drops off to 112 damage rather than 100 damage. Right now, the Lynx rework is similar to taking away the Carnage AR and adding the GR-22, or taking away the Razor GD-23 to add the ACX-11, or even taking away the VX6-7 to add the Serpent. Removing a 800 rpm, excellent hipfire carbine from the TR arsenal is not the way to go.
  4. NoctD

Buff the Jag to 143@800!
  5. minhalexus

I'm pretty sure the GD-7F is being toned down.
    Lynx does compete with the GD-7F considering it gets 10 extra bullets. The new Lynx has a much easier recoil pattern.

Besides, the TR is getting a 167@632 damage carbine, with the fastest TTK.

Learn to be grateful.
    • Up x 1
  6. Hoki

They're so similar, I think its good to differentiate. Weapons being subtly different is just boring. I have both jag and lynx auxxed and they are so similar but the subtle advantages of the jag made me shelve the lynx semi-permanently.
    A radically different feeling weapon would make me more inclined to use it. If the lynx were given a significantly faster reload than the jag for example, that would make it feel and perform much different, and I'd probably use it a lot more.
  7. asdfPanda

But the old Lynx would somewhat stave the gap between 750 and 909 rpm. The Lynx has better moving hipfire and higher rpm than the Jaguar, which makes me take it over the Jaguar. Differentiation is good, but so is variety, no matter how subtle you think it is. Lynx is better than the Jaguar at cqc, Jaguar is better than Lynx at midrange. The tradeoffs are there.

Why should I be grateful for a change that I didn't ask for? I never compared the Lynx to the GD-7f. In fact, the carbine balance is decent enough atm, it's just that the TR lack variety. I don't complain about the Lynx's current recoil. Sure, you may like the new Lynx, but I like the old lynx. We should be able to have both.
  8. minhalexus

Actually, many TR players wanted jaguar and Lynx to be different.
    I never heard a single word of praise for the old lynx.

At least the new lynx is being admired by some.
    Sure SOE may consider making some other gun taking the current Lynx's place.

Variety in planetside 2 is:-
    1 gun with high RoF
    1 gun with high damage

SOE is taking care this, by giving a high RoF, and a good damage.
    If you liked the Lynx, you should have spoken up for it, much before the devs decided to change it.
  9. asdfPanda

The vocal minority speaks. Not to mention, the new Lynx doesn't have a 0.75 ads speed multiplier. I did speak up on the Lynx when the changes were proposed, and I did comment on how weird it was that people thought the Lynx and Jaguar were pretty much the same. However, my player opinion doesn't matter, because SOE went ahead with the change anyway.

Like I said before, some people like the new Lynx, and some people like the old Lynx. There is no reason that we should not have both.
  10. Paperlamp

Yeah standing hip-fire benefit is negligible since how often do you sit still when hip-firing. I think the Jag should get some tweaks to sort-of take over for the old Lynx, so better moving hip-fire would be nice. Should really do that for all hip-fire bonus guns because most of the time you're going to be moving when hip-firing.

It'll depend on what changes they make to existing guns but right now Jaguar is only a psuedo-mid-range option because TRAC-5's recoil angle is a PITA, overall it doesn't have the velocity or accuracy to really handle it well. So I wouldn't argue with it being tweaked to be a more CQC focused weapon. Both the new Lynx and Cougar are ending up too similar to the current Jaguar anyway.

167/632 does not have faster TTK than Serpent/GD-7F. It's roughly on par with TRAC-5/Jag.
  11. Artoriusaurus Rex

TR rubs the genie's lamp and wishes for the fastest fire rate amongst the carbines, and for a carbine more suited to mid-range.

Then the Genie, SOE, says yes, but that there are some provisos, in the sense that the new carbines can't simply be the best at everything.

And then...

You're getting your wishes, TR! ;)
  12. asdfPanda

I didn't ask for a change to my favorite weapon. I asked for weapon variety.
  13. minhalexus

I was talking about the 167 damage tiers.
  14. Odin

Always enjoy Paperlamps rampant fanboism. He always gives me a chuckle with his blatant tr bias.
    The new lynx is god mode and any sane person can use it and see it yet he is still ******** about the gd7f and serpent.
    Any vs and nc would gladly give tr the gd7f or the serpent for the test server lynx (yes it's that good) but yet he will not be happy until tr has every conceivable weapon better than vs or nc. You talk so much crap about how the gd7f or serpent out dps your weapons by .01 ttk time yet nc has 0 weapons in the ha class that are even in the same stratosphere as the carv, mswr or the Orion or others. We have no lmg even close yet you don't hear massive whining because ttk and damage are not everything.
    When ttk is very close rof and ability to control the weapon are everything. The new lynx will be op as he'll in 90% of the scenarios when it's released yet u still find a way to complain. Ahh you also got the only 167 damage gun over 600 rof in the game other than a smg now too. Jesus your posts are getting fun to laugh at anyway.
    • Up x 2
  15. minhalexus

Well personally i do not like high RoF for less damage, unless you have tons of ammo.

I gave up on my GD-7F recently, its dumb that i have to finish my target off with a pistol so many times.
    I would definitely not mind if a TR got a gun like this.
  16. Paperlamp

Neither the new lynx nor the Cougar is a mid-range carbine. We wanted a Merc, but we got two Jaguar variants.

Our damage and accuracy range did not expand, we just got more variants within our already narrow range.

NC still has the highest accuracy carbines and the lowest TTK being able to specialize or go for versatility, while TR still ends up a bunch of carbines competing for the same role of CQC to closer mid ranges.

The new Lynx and Cougar will be competing for the same role our old Lynx, Jaguar, TRAC-5 were already competing for.

The genie was not a genie, it was developers disconnected from what players actually wanted.
  17. Zar

ok well here it is i ******* love the lynx. so much the fact its getting turned into a ******* smg makes almost just wanna stop playing check my char same as my forum name on connery i have more kills with the lynx then anything else maybe im just god i guess lol cause everyone thinks the gun is awful lol.
    • Up x 1
  18. Ronin Oni

Wasn't Jaguar basically just as good but better recoil?

Slightly higher RoF on Lynx but same DPS

at least, I thought so....
  19. asdfPanda

Sure, if you count worse hipfire and lower rpm "just as good". I use the Lynx for those aspects. To put it simply, lynx is for really good cqc. Jaguar is for decent cqc and decent medium range. I'll try to use an analogy:

Some people like McDonald's, some people like Burger King. More people like McDonald's. However, SOE sees that less people like Burger King, so they put in Taco Bell, and take out Burger King. What are the people that liked Burger King supposed to do now? I understand the whole "evolve or perish" thing, but I still like the old Lynx.

Which is why I'm not a fan of the changes to the Lynx. Sure, give the TR a 909 rpm carbine. Just don't take away the 800 rpm carbine for it, because some people like it.
    • Up x 1
  20. Zar

see this is what i was afraid of if the new lynx is "good" in anyway its gonna get nerfed so hard no one will use it even me whos been using the lynx since freaking day 1. -_- its good now doesn't need a change please just make a different gun do not change my lynx i like my lynx. why does SOE continue to do things no one wants or asked for then act like it was a good idea. they wanted a good high rpm carbine don't delete my close quarters combat weapon and make me use a skilless shot gun i like aiming and playing well for ***** sake.