[Suggestion] New load screens: Executions and torture, really? Alternative here.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tanelorn, Jun 2, 2016.

1. William Petersen

This one. THIS is what the load screens should look like! THAT'S GLORIOUS!
    • Up x 2
  2. zaspacer

Cyanide tooth takes conscious action. Factions would develop weapons or odorless gases to knock out enemy personnel to circumvent conscious action suicide. Presumably, sides would develop "auto-suicide" devices and implant them in the body, triggered by inaction or prolonged sluggish metabolism, etc. Or a poison put in the body where the host only stays alive if receiving regular antidotes. Or, even easier, just radiate all troops before battle and condemn them to die regardless of outcome within a set period.
  3. Scr1nRusher

This whole post is facepalm worthy.
  4. Scr1nRusher

RadarX pls on the last one.
    • Up x 2
  5. Keiichi25

No. I am making the point that 'looking away from the issue' by pretending what we are doing isn't inherently bad or trying to 'sugar coat' the very thing we are playing at, which is war, is not pretty.

While this is a game, it is also 'playing war' or the 1950s version of Cowboys and Indians.

The art is pointing out a fact the thing that we have to come to accept, which is part of its lore, is that we, as humans, are not that altruistic under these circumstances.

As civilians, most of us never had the fear of war.

Even when I was growing up as a kid, playing war is what we did. But we never grasp the fact that war is brutal, it is horrific, and it is disturbing.

What you people want to do is, "This isn't us." Sorry... But no. You want to play a game of war, accept some things about it that are part of war.

While we LOVE to believe in the Geneva Conventions, the simple fact is, the Geneva Conventions are something we all want to uphold when it is convenient for us. We do not practice the Geneva Conventions in a game at any point. No one here can practically claim they did not shoot or hunt down the last player at the base they conquered, nor claim they took prisoners cause you can't in this game. Even if we had players willingly surrender in this game, NO ONE HERE WILL CLAIM THEY GAVE QUARTER to said player because again, no allowances are made into this. This is in contravention of the basics of the Geneva Convention, even though this is a game, but at the heart and spirit of the fact... You are literally executing or torturing people in the game by definition.

To deny this and then throw a hissy fit about the pictures is still a hypocritical stance.

The picture I paint is to point out that while things change, people try to deny where they came from. To act as if "This was never us..." But point in fact, it is "us"... Our modern interpretation is changed over time, but the simple fact is history and the facts about history get distorted over time by those who only deem what is 'necessary' to create the narrative they wish to see.

A classic example of this foolishness is the recent stint over Obama going to Hiroshima.

A group called the Young Conservatives posts a scathing link:

http://www.youngcons.com/obama-says...-evil-fiery-tweet-responds-we-owe-no-apology/

The group cites that Obama says the US dropping the Atomic Bomb on Hiroshima was evil...

Here is the actual text of his speech:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/28/world/asia/text-of-president-obamas-speech-in-hiroshima-japan.html

No where, in that speech, does he say the US was evil for dropping the bomb. He speaks more about the fact that we (the general we) can do evil with the use of nuclear weapons and should try to stop that to avert the kinds of tragedies we have come to know with the use of nuclear weapons.

You will also note, several groups believe the US should not have to apologize to Japan about the Bomb, using the excuse of the Surprise Attack on Pearl Harbor and Japan's War crime during the war... Ignoring the fact that in numerous times, the Government of Japan and also the Emperor of Japan who was in power (by title, but not by definition) at the time, apologizing to this day for their actions.

This is the humanity that I have contempt for, it isn't the drawing a bleak outlook, but simply the fact that humanity, as a whole, even when they find certain things deplorable such as the art everyone is complaining about, will conveniently ignore facts to justify their narrative of the situation and voice outrage for the WRONG reasons.

If people take the time to put things in the proper perspective, we wouldn't have foolish people acting, as some people put it, as Social Justice Warriors. But since we don't have people who take the time to look up the situation, or the facts, we have the fly by night justice arguments we have here.

I say, go protest over at the Cincinatti Zoo over the Ape that was killed or berate the mother whose kid fell into the Ape enclosure. Those groups need more SJWs than this place does.
    • Up x 1
  6. Keiichi25

Actually, there is a surrender mechanism... It's called Redeploy. Except every player here, once a base is taken... Does not stop fighting. In the times I try to leave an area or bail out of a vehicle and get away, I have been shot in the back or mercilessly killed, not given a chance to surrender. Despite the fact that I can't do much more, but does not stop people from executing me in the game.

And as much as you like to claim this is 'just a game'.

The loading screens are "just art". Pictures depicting acts in a fictional universe, with nothing more than color and drawing. These are not video capture showing viscera or people laughing as someone is 'tortured'.

People say it isn't the game, despite the lore to say contrary. That this isn't realistically in the game, even when the others loading screens were also not.

It boils down to the fact that people here just fail to accept the fact that human nature can devolve. The belief that Moral Right will prevail and people follow conventions set forth, and watch it fail, time and time again. We all foolishly want to ignore our past, thinking that we have changed past that. But of course, we repeat the mistakes of the past because we forget our history or our past or in some cases, cling to a part of the past, with hatred as justification for our actions.
    • Up x 1
  7. Eranorz

Your condescending one liners contribute less than nothing. By all means, feel free to elaborate.
  8. Scr1nRusher

Ah the "I will use big words response"
  9. DeadAlive99

The elephant in the room that you're missing here, and I will come back to it over and over, is that because this IS a game, we have a control over it that we do not have in warfare. I won't deny the irony that we are having great fun playing a game based off of something that is utterly unfun, but nonetheless, we are.

Just because it is based off of warfare, does not mean we are morally obligated to replicate the nastier aspects of it so that we "don't lose sight of what war is really all about". This is not educational software. It's a game.

No, and fortunately we didn't need to. We don't need to have lessons attached to everything that we do. There is such a thing as 'harmless fun'.

Well, in that case, maybe we should ask the Devs to create more realism for us, and include all of the various nastiness that war has to offer. If you're going to give us the lecture, then don't tell us we should stop with these pics. What else should we have?

One thing I look for when debating on various subjects is consistency in the logic. So that's a valid question. If we need to except this art because what is depicted actually happens in the real world, then I have to assume based on the rest of your lengthy argument, that you would support having more of it, more realism.

We're all aware that the game is based off of war. But many of us are also aware that it is still 100% a game, designed for casual entertainment. It is not meant to be educational, or a morality lesson, or a reminder of the horrors of war. This is the point where your argument can no longer hold water, if at all.

You are chastising us as if we should be viewing this as anything other than a game made for fun. And it is not. You are making your points based on a misconception of the opposition. You see the opposition as 'ignorant of warfare', and hypocritical, but what we actually are.....are gamers. And while some will disagree, what this game effectively is, is a game of TAG with penalties for getting tagged.

The visuals and lore are based on warfare because that has always been glamorized by the entertainment industry (for the worse). But nonetheless, we play these games for fun and to escape and for technical challenges. Not for history lessons. If we had a society based less on monetary conquest, more games would be made with a 'roughhousing' theme, instead of a killing theme. But money talks, and (fake) war sells.

At this point, you're completely misunderstanding the opposition, as I outlined above. "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar". This is a game. Some of us would like to minimize the "horrors of war" aspect and stick to more light hearted, "family friendly", 'pizza and nachos' stuff. We know that the bad stuff is still happening out there, but fortunately, we DON'T have to have it in our video games.
  10. Azawarau

• Up x 2
  11. Eranorz

So you are in fact a troll and have nothing relevant to contribute, thanks for clearing that up
  12. Scr1nRusher

Thanks for being more soft skinned then a peach.
  13. Eranorz

I like peaches.
  14. Scr1nRusher

Now that is something we can agree on.
  15. customer548

I guess he's still depressed because of Wrel's new job. It makes him a bit sore in his mind. Please excuse him.
  16. Keiichi25

And the herd of elephants in the room that not only you and many others seem to keep forgetting is the fact that the LORE OF THE GAME also dictates what the art is... The art is about the fact these three factions have been at war for centuries, with long hatred and a war where it will never end because people don't die.

And SINCE they don't die, and in a state of constant war, they can and will be doing something that is heinous because *gasp* human nature can devolve to the lowest common denominator of hate and revenge.

But of course, the elephant in the room being lore, or the fact the game is based on war, and the elephant reflecting human nature is constantly being ignored because all of you want your 'safe place'... You don't want to face the fact you are playing a game that does involve executing a player and murder and such.

Actually, this is where those people who place the blame on gamers for the mass shootings disagree with you. Their harping point is that these kinds of games DESENSITIZE players to violence and the repercussions of shooting a person. Reporters harped the fact the Columbine Shooters were watching violent movies like 'The Basketball Diaries' and playing games like 'Doom' and 'Quake' to make them sociopaths.

The fact you are being dismissive of it would give them a reason to say "Hey, this guy might be a sociopath... We should watch him..." Even though you may find the loading screen a little disturbing.

Yes, harmless fun blowing up people, shooting them, running them over and stabbing... Cause 'harmless fun' is all about using explosives, stabbing, shooting and running over people.

My 'lecture' is pointing out your misplaced gripe over a piece of art about 'spirit of the game' or 'what is not in the game' came from your camp. My point is, stop arguing about the art being disturbing or not 'spirit of the game' when the spirit of the game is warfare. The earlier argument from another person is 'this does not depict what happens in the game' SO WHO FRIGGIN CARES?

The whole hoopla about someone's art interpretation of the game and you are all up in arms about what isn't in the game and the previous loading screen before that didn't depict what was in the game either yet THAT was the basis of argument over the whole 'torture' and 'execution' lamentations? Grow up, that was a poor and weak argument for that.

And this is where you are flipflopping on your logic. You first tell us this is not war, this is a game, then you accept this is a game BASED ON WAR. BE CONSISTENT IN YOUR STANCE. You can't have both.

I am chastising about how you all want to play this is simply a game. Yes, it is a game, but it is also based on war that requires tactics. Tactics where most of you friggin fail at grasping the basic and most common ideas of warfare tactics and will continue to do so because you all treat it simply as a game and nothing more than that.

At the same time, the constant and showing of pure ignorance of our own history, regardless of whether or not you want to be educated or not... To whine and complain about art done by a person that you find disturbing and wanting to make your 'safe space' for a game is ludicrous. I might was well treat you like a German who should be shielded about what happen prior to 1950. But as George Santayana has been quoted, time and time again:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

This is also about COMMON SENSE. Which sadly is not so common, because yet again, Human Nature has always been about not learning from our past, repeating mistakes over and over again.

No, I am not misunderstand the opposition. I'm pointing out that the opposition is throwing a hissy fit over someone's interpretation of what is going on in the game and want to argue this is a 'family friendly' game. Uhm... Family Friendly does not have an 'T' Rating for Violence... Looking at ESRB it has this:

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx

TEEN
    Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language.
    This game is marked with Violence with no blood and the 'Strong Language' comes more from the players, but definitely contains violence.
    Violence, by definition, is not "family friendly" and should be more along the lines of an ESRB rating of "E" for Everyone, which, THIS GAME ISN'T THAT.
    What more, what you are doing in the game often is more violent than the few seconds of the loading screen pictures show and it is still in the 'T' rating because again, NO blood, contains Violence.
    So again, the 'cigar is just a cigar' applies to the loading screen... The wanking and wanting to make this 'family friendly' for a 'T' rated game is counter-intuitive.
  17. Moridin6

how about we put it like this..

whats a better representation of PS2, 8 guys on screen or 200 ?

this is my planetside2
    [IMG]
    and stop pointing to THE LORE THE LORE

if we all followed the Lore constantly id be at Vanu Mass twice a week and all the NC soldiers would have to work a shift at the tech plant one a week.. we know the background, planetside2 is still more Slamming a gal down on someone than it is SHooting a kneeling captive in the back of the head
    • Up x 1
  18. customer548

Prisoners are depicted as suffering victims, trying to escape or begging for life.
    If some people are confortable with it, i'm a bit worried about what's happening in their mind. But it's their own choice and nature. It's ok.

You do NOT see anything like this in game. All in game characters are depicted like super soldiers running and jumping in epic ways.
    In game, suffering, begging for sparing a life, fear are missing. Those artworks HIGHLIGHT suffering, humiliation and fear. Lack of hope for the prisoners. And they don't show anything else.

If you don't get it, if your really don't see it, i'm sorry to have to say that you have a damn lack of comprehension about what you're looking at.
    • Up x 1
  19. Pacster3

First of all: A spelling flame? Is that the only mistake you found? Wow, I' didn't think I'm THAT good. I'm a german. Write your next 20 liner in german please...and let me check your spelling, brainiac. ;-)

I do not execute ANYONE when taking over a base. If I do not shoot them, they'll shoot me(outnumbered or not, they will usually not stop),,,I can not wait and see what happens. Last but not least I get points for it, so why should I not shoot them? Again, those are the rules of the GAME.
    You are twisting and turning but in the end your arguements are all weak and fake. You like to look at execution scenes, and that's about it....others don't, and that about that too. What that says about you and them is up to you. Fact is, those are no scenes from the game and they do NOT reflect the spirit of the game either. They show an execution scene, not a game. And no, they are not there to show people how cruel war is...cause seriously this game is definitely not about abolishing war.
    And unfortunately I do not think they used those images as some kind of Starship Trooper like sarcastic hyperbole to make guys like you drop your pants and show your stupidity either.
    • Up x 1
  20. Azawarau

This is war

I think youre forgetting that

This is what happens in every war ever whether we see it or not