New Liberator Empire Specific Weapons, and Opinions

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eclipson, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Eclipson

First of all, here are the weapons:
    • New Empire Specific Belly Guns
      • VS: Large magazine weapon shooting explosive rounds or orbs. RPM increases after each shot until forced to reload or trigger is let go.
      • NC: TV Guided missile
      • TR: Zepher variant that has a larger magazine and higher RPM, but does less damage each shot. Each shot increases cone of fire, allowing it to spray a large area with shells from range
    So, to start off, the VS one seems like a PPA on steroids. The "spin up" mechanics on it should be pretty interesting. Pretty clear that its meant to be sat over an area for a while. I'm going to guess that its not going to be amazing against vehicles. Even if it does do decent damage against vehicles, the "spin up" mechanic will probably prevent it from being too effective against vehicles. All in all, it seems like it will be an interesting weapon.

Having a TV missile on the bottom of the Lib will either be good and borderline OP, or horrible. If it has a limited range like the Phoenix, then it will be pretty useless, but at the same time, having a lib sitting at the height ceiling could be pretty OP. On the other hand, if its velocity isn't too fast, it might be balanced. More time in the camera, means less time firing and reloading, resulting in a lower DPS than the Dalton, but a potential for more consistent follow up shots, meaning it could be a pretty balanced side grade to the Dalton. Balancing its velocity will most likely be the key to making this weapon good or bad.

The TR one, ohhh, the TR one. Yet again, it looks like we are about to get another boring side grade to an NS weapon. The thing is either going to be an OP straight up upgrade over the Zephyr, or its going to end up in the same position as the Striker is, being almost worse, then the Annihilator. It really feels like SOE is running out of Ideas for the TR. We are turning into the Medicore NS sidegrade empire. The only two ways I can see this weapon going (similar to the Striker), it boring and too effective, or boring and not effective. SOE needs to go back to the drawing board with this one. And Interesting suggestion that i've seen is to have the gun be a cluster bomb type weapon. Massive damage into an area, but a slow refire rate.

I don't have a ton of experience with the Liberator, so i'm curious to see what a Liberator pilot thinks of these weapons.

TL;DR: The VS one is a PPA on steroids, the NC one should be pretty balanced, and the TR one is un-creative, and will either be over powered or pointless.
    • Up x 4
  2. Ned

Not sure if I like the sound of the TR gun, SOE cant come up with anything interesting to give us
    • Up x 1
  3. Aractain

To me its sounds like:
    VS: Lets give them a TR trait and then some more TR traits and super power overcharged that already best in class PPA! OH YA!
    NC: Phoenix is really fun and powerful - now its even more powerful and fired from the AIR so LOL @ cover lololol.
    TR: Errr.... I ran out of ideas. Like a faster firing NS gun or something? That will do. Oh and make it RNG, I read on the forums they like that.
    • Up x 3
  4. Unclematos7

You know that the TV missile cannot have more than a 295m range due to technical limitations, right?

At least, that is the excuse they gave for the Phoenix.
  5. Cougarbrit

Oh look, just what I always wanted, a Marauder to replace my belly gun.

Wait, I never wanted that, nobody sane ever wanted that. Bad SOE, stop.

Give us a MLRS or something (random suggestion to keep post constructive, I do not claim responsibility for this if it turns out to be an even worse idea)
    • Up x 1
  6. Eclipson

Wasn't aware of that. Not sure how they are going to balance the weapon then. Being at that kind of range in a liberator, sticking around long enough for your gunner to connect with the TV, its going to be a pretty big death sentence. Flack will chew you to pieces before you get a second missile off. They may have found a way to overcome the limitations, and it may be different when launched from a vehicle. If the limit really is 300m, then it could be pretty bad.
  7. Unclematos7

Gotta admit, that was funny. The Phoenix chute is still an inherently disfunctional weapon though.

How about Shredder variants? We already have an AV and AI poop chute, I just can't thing of another one that is both unique and doesn't step on the other 2.
  8. Cougarbrit

NC should obviously get a shotgun. A Super Airhammer.

Wait, no, that'd actually be good probably. Bugger all range but good nonetheless.
  9. EViLMinD

If the TR gun is like the Zepher, it would work well on a lib with racer and afterburner. Dive into a soft-target rich area, unload a mag and then burn away.

The TR might have the best farming gun. I wouldn't complain yet.
  10. NinjaTurtle

I think my 3 suggestions were better that I made in the Liberator Road Map thread 2nd post in

Oh well
  11. Dasparian

VS:
    Y'know, I hate all the infantry-based charge-up weapons, but having a charged weapon on a Liberator would actually be a valid use of the mechanic. Current PPA system sounds bland. What about a Lib that shoots laserbeams? Big charge-up, very small beam that deals continuous damage, long cool-down, very high damage drop-off over long range. Trust me, the future is laserbeams.

NC:
    TV missile sounds like a better ES nosegun than bellygun.

TR:
    Chaingun Zephyr is silly. Why does each explosive payload do increasingly less damage? How??
    I'd prefer a mine-laying weapon with two firing modes: ground or air mines. Ground mines are fired like Zephyr rounds into the ground, but deal no damage unless triggered. Air mines are floating drones that get spit out into the air and lock onto enemy aircraft within a certain range. Probably make them work like Seeker Missiles from Starcraft 2. Due to the sneaky nature of the mines, they shouldn't do a lot of damage, and need fuses to disarm them after a period of time. There should also be a very low ammo capacity, to reduce spamming.
  12. NinjaTurtle

New ES weapons (the more interesting version)

NC - Napalm, does damage over a large area but damage is small. Sprays in the direction it hits the ground at. Does more directional damage
    TR - Cluster Bomb, again does damage over a large area. Bombs hits floor and explodes dozens of smaller explosive shells around the blast radius. Again low damage, large suppression
    VS- How about something like that big **** laser from Independence day, for now let's just call it big **** LAZER
  13. Pikachu

Vanu gets a vulcan with explosive ammo. Not much interesting. Where's the liberator scale lancer? :rolleyes:

Who would want a camera guided missile on a long range vehicle when it has a technical limit of 300m range? That's way too limited. Are they going to give it a special loading screen that says "reloading weapon"? That would make the ROF depend on the person's system specs. If they can give it proper range then I would like it. Oh btw it should be a liberator scale phoenix. In the same sense that the dalton is a liberator scale version of titan HE. Not just a regular phoenix mounted on an aircraft. -.- It should hit hard as h***. A lightning hit in the butt can say goodnight.

TR gun is a big boring like others said, just as venu's gun. What about a cluster of laser guided missiles?

About shotgun for NC, what if the cone of pellets was convex so there is a limit for how much they can spread?
  14. Pikachu

Venu could have a constant beam that burns the ground and leaves a little fire trail behind it for a few seconds causing damage. The mean is not hitscan, which will cause it to bend as the cannon moves around.
  15. Hatesphere

nose gun? why the hell would you ever want your pilot to zone out for 3+ seconds to drop a missile?
    • Up x 1
  16. Dasparian

Sorry, I meant based on location. Maybe relegate the controls to the tailgunner. I just personally feel that a TV missile primary would be a pain to balance.
  17. GhostAvatar

• TR: Zepher variant that has a larger magazine and higher RPM, but does less damage each shot. Each shot increases cone of fire, allowing it to spray a large area with shells from range
    So basically same DPS and damage per mag as the current Zephyr, but less accurate. Why would I want to use this? I am actually starting to regret picking TR, what with the lack of imagination from the devs for TR faction weapons.
    • Up x 1
  18. BarxBaron

LMFAO.

SOE I swear this may be the end of my membership.

Please let this be a troll thread.

A ******* new zephyr? Really?

Lack imagination more SOE?
    • Up x 1
  19. St0mpy

The ES kit sounds like sadly like deja-vu, or groundhog day.

Again TR get a mild variation of what they already had and the other two get genuinely new and fun additions to their liberator arsenal (even if they turn out to be crap in use at least they are different).

As something boring I expect itll be slightly overpowered to make up for it, then forumside+dog will whinge and moan till its nerfed leaving TR with another lacklustre and unfun selection of weapons for a vehicle.

If we must have a saturation bomber then give us multiple bomblets that do something different, shock rounds or something, or make the splash larger on each round we keep the firebutton down - and spice it up with some preconfigurable ammo by certs for vehicle or AI duty.
  20. Ronin Oni

LOL would result in so many crashes and freebie Dumbfire/MBT round kills if they put TV missile on nosegun
    • Up x 1