[Suggestion] New impact "KDR" for support

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by pnkdth, Nov 22, 2015.

1. pnkdth

Ammo: Ammo Box Kills: How many kills do you allies rack up from your ammo box? A way to teach optimal placement to new players and a way for more experienced players to optimise their play.

Support Heal/Repair Kills: Kills during repairs and heals. More important for engineers, of course, but also a good way for the engineer to feel the impact of his or her support role. Perhaps heals can have a post engagement counter, i.e. counting kills 15 seconds before heal or something.

Kills Per Revive: Kills by the ones you revived in the battle they got revived in. Not every kill after. Maybe time limit too.

The aim is to make the support role more visible. For support players to see their impact and therefor a way to improve as players. It will help in teaching new players understand the support role. As it is now the game only really measure KDR while throwing some generic SPH measurement in the way of support roles.

These would not be awarding exp since the above activities already does so, but more as a means of tracking your gameplay from a support perspective.

I'm sure there are ways for us to create similar measurements for kills and death in general, i.e. kills around objectives or something.
    • Up x 4
  2. OldMaster80

Imho it's very simple: get rid of kdr completely, keep that for stats sites, and replace it with score per minute. The game should show us transport xp, heal, repair, scout, ammo, vehicle destroy and killing xp (so also assists would matter).

Also directives should be around weapons xp, not just kills.
  3. pnkdth

That's another issue. The point of this is more giving an idea to support players on the impact of what they do.
  4. Iridar51

It's called "SPM" = score per minute. If you're doing a good job as a support, you'll be getting a lot of XP most of the time.

It can't be used to evaluate a player, because it can be padded by boosts and devalued by AFKing at warpgate, but that doesn't mean a player can't use it to track his progress.
  5. pnkdth

SPM is a generic stat you cannot gain any insights on the impact. For kills we've got weapon stats, overall stats which include KPH, accuracy, headshots, etc etc. You can easily track individual sessions and see what went wrong. There's just so much information detailing your performance.

As support, all you have is the exp ticking away. Nothing to show if the ammo you supply goes to anything meaningful. If you're making a dent in the fight through revives.

Or wait, are you saying we should remove all that KDR stuff? If you say support should be happy with SPH, then so can the rest.
  6. Xrkr

In general, I like the idea. I don't know that I'd like my KpR to be based on cherry-picking the better players to revive as those are likely to be the ones to get kills to boost said stat, which still requires a judgment based on K/D.

What I think might work just as well would be to have an objectives completed/death stat that could tie in with the mission system.
    So for the obvious objectives, that would be sundy kills, point caps, gen breaking and the like. Added to this would be objectives created by players (exterminate/delay/deter an advancing enemy force, capturing a specified territory, besiege an enemy force at x base, etc.) which will enable a number of factors to become relevant to the stat.

I don't really mind K/D staying where it is, but I don't think it's meaningful enough in a game like this.
  7. pnkdth

Yeah, the stuff I put forth is nothing final, just typed them out. I think it is weird how little stats there is for support players to draw upon compared to what we see on other aspects of the game..
  8. Moridin6

the times i jump out of maggy/sundy/harasser to repair and miss Tons of points while my gunner(s) wreck enemy..
  9. Iridar51

Other players can't tell that about you, because they don't know what you're doing. You know. If you're reviving people 3m away from spawn - probably not making a dent. If you're throwing an ammo pack under the feet of a burster MAX - probably doing something useful. Etc.

I agree with Wrel, in one of his videos he said that medics should get XP when a player revived by them gets XP, but not for the revive itself. There's lots of small things that can be done to improve. My point was - if your only goal is to track own progress, SPM is adequate.

I'm not particularly against KDR. If we don't track deaths, people will be more inclined to perform kamikaze and "one way ticket" tactics, which wouldn't be too good. And putting too high accent on SPM would devaluate playstyles that don't get a lot of score per minute. And it would feel like every second you're not getting XP is a punishment.

Overall, I don't particularly hate current stat system. People will always find ways to abuse the system and love to yell that their particular farmed stat is more important than all others.
    • Up x 1
  10. Azawarau

Why not keep KD and add other things?
  11. Jubikus

It doesnt matter what stat is up front they will always promote certain people to play bad playstyles even something like accuracy can promote bad play because a player might not just unload at people coming across a field toward the base because he will miss too much even tho if he and his allys do they are likely to stop most of them from getting to the base.

That said i do wish the game gave more info period when i drive around in my tank the only info i can get is score and how many people i have killed with my tank. I would like it if it told me how many vehicles and of what type i killed with my tank like if a sunderer driver bailed and didnt die when i killed a sundy or it was deployed and being used as a spawn i would still like to know how many ive taken out with that life of the tank its also nice just for bragging rights at times to know how many ESF youve shot down because in a prowler unless they are damage it takes 2 AP rounds to take them down.
    • Up x 1
  12. customer548

I think Medics should especially be more rewarded in a way or another. A part of them are doing an incredibly nice job while dodging tons of bullets and can litteraly reverse the tide of a battle.
  13. Jake the Dog

If you know what you're doing as a medic you can REEAAALLLLY rake in certs. No joke, sometimes my jaw just drops in some battles when playing medic.
    • Up x 1
  14. Moridin6

them revive nades tho..
    • Up x 1
  15. customer548

Certs are nice for sure. But i was thinking about the fact of giving them more datas highlighting their team performance.
  16. Jake the Dog

Those are implied. Can't be a good medic without em lol
  17. Eternaloptimist

I'm happy to settle for the certs I get from playing engineer. If I could print them out I would. Then put them in the bath and roll about in them. Other than that, I think the ideas sound a bit too complicated to work out...........how do you know someone killed an enemy with the specific bullets you supplied, for example. Anyway, ammo resupply is mega rewarding now, more than any other engie ability (for me at least). If I ever get to worrying about KDR I'll spend a bit more time killing enemies. Actually I do that now but for the jazz, not for the KD stats - carbines rock!

I am just starting to play medic and I run as a commando. Plenty of kills interspersed with a bit of healing is the plan. When I get good I'm sure I'll be happy enough with kill credits from...err...killing. Atm my problem is making the right choice between being in the thick of the action (where the healing is but without an overshield) or being a bit more flanky and hit & run (more survivability but fewer heals). I'll get there I'm sure - ARs rock harder!
  18. pnkdth

It could be after the user expended the ammo he or she had when being resupplied. This isn't so much for the ****** as much as I want a solid way of tracking the impact of what I do as support. Sure, it can certainly be used to stroke dat ****** but is that such a bad thing? To give support some attention rather than singular focus on kills and deaths?

I'm not saying this is the perfect solution but I think it is important to give equal weight to all activities within a MMO. Many MMORPGs like WoW or DCUO put so much focus on DPS. Other roles are, as a result, seen as not as important. Meanwhile the HA/LA/Infils are ******** about revives and ammo so they can do "the important stuff."