New Hack: Insta Kill via Suicide All players in hex

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OgreMarkX, May 18, 2017.

1. breeje

seen some of those vid's, a original idea from DBG and i am sure none of those guys cheated ever again on H1Z1
    and DBG (or was it still SOE?) showed the world cheaters will be caught and publicly humiliated
    sending out a strong signal to all there other players who are trying to cheat in one of there games
    not only did they scare off some other cheaters the game gained back the trust from the players base who thought H1Z1 was infested whit hackers
    and potential new players did get confidence the game was cheaters free
    i approve of this method and everyone deserves a second chance even the lowest form of life, what cheaters are
    • Up x 1
  2. FLHuk

3. csvfr

I disapprove - cheaters give no chance to legit players, so should receive none in return. Especially these mass-destruction cheaters.

Needless to say, cheaters on my server are unbearable, destroys the game for all, by only cheating in relation to attacks on their hives or during alerts. Yesterday some VS fanatic teleported through a biolab SCU shield and killed everyone trying to stabilize it in a 100+ fight at the start of an alert, letting them zerg through to victory. So me and the rest of the faction where essentially robbed from any chance at 6000 (alert + victory) exp, or 24 certs, or about 10 DBC / 10 cent, which is yeah a minor felony but it happens over time.
  4. Demigan

Its actually one of the most effective ways to combat cheating. Just like punishing juvinile crimes is better done through shame than actual punishment which can be seen as an ego boost "look he actually got caught he/she is the real deal".

A cheater that gets banned simply moves on to the next game and cheats again, his only change would be not to get caught. A cheater that publicly gets humiliated to get back into the game will not cheat again, or at least as quickly. And once they stop cheating and actually join the game they become just as important for the game as anyone else, and them being a customer could even reduce the impact they had with their cheats.
  5. csvfr

No it isn't - like any punitive action it has several aims, potential rehabilitation of the offender is just one of them. Importantly, it should reduce the amount of undesirable behavior, also by being deterring. For the deviant cheaters who would not apologize, adding this "option" does not matter to them, they will simply create a new account. For the average joe cheaters who generally play fair, they now get a "get out of jail card free" if they get curious/tempted - and in doing so further supporting the hack-creators cause. As you say yourself banned cheaters moves on, which solves the problem, I do not care if they cheat in another game because it is the rules (and fun) of this game they have broken.
  6. Demigan

And this is one of the better ways to do it.

And if you just ban them without the option to apologise, they do the exact same. But with this system you hit three birds with one stone: Cheaters who would otherwise have made a new account/moved to another game to cheat now have apologised and gotten their old account back, but are less likely to cheat again, here or anywhere else. And cheaters who think of cheating have a warning signal beforehand: In this game they catch cheaters. Which reduces the feeling of safety and anonimity that cheaters normally rely on.

And that's bullcrap. Teh average Joe cheater won't use the "get out of jail free card" because the entire point of cheating on the internet is anonimity. They won't risk having to expose and humiliate themselves just to try out cheating. Keep in mind that litterally the number 1 fear humans express isn't dying, but social humiliation (although that has roots in the fact that if you were socially humiliated in the olden times you were unlikely to survive anyway).
  7. csvfr

In that case this segment of cheaters can just ask a friend or hire a cheap actor to do the job. Marketing from hack-creators ensues: "Our cheats are so undetectable that we guarantee your account safety. In the event you are caught we will provide an apology video free of charge!". All those who want to try out cheating but haven't done so earlier now get less of a mental obstacle to do it.
  8. Demigan

Are you really suggesting "a friend" will just do that for you? Or that they will throw money at an actor to do it? Really?
    Now let's discount the fact that these guys would have friends willing to do that, I mean really that you actually tried that line, repeat it to yourself a few times. If someone is willing to go through the trouble of contacting and paying actors to do the job you aren't going to stop them anyway, but at least they paid more money to get back to cheating. There's absolutely no reason these guys wouldn't be capable of cheating again if they throw enough money at it, so adding an extra hoop to jump through and money investment decreases the amount of cheaters that will actually put in the effort to pull it off and increase the time before they return to cheating if they do pull it off. And here's another gem: If you cheated once you are definitely going to be on a watchlist, and when you get detected again on the same account, you really think they are going to allow you to do it again?

Also there's a limit to how many actors you can hire to play someone else. They are going to realise when the same actor pops up a few times because a cheat site uses that. and hey, better leech more money from the cheat site looking for and hiring cheap actors (that could very well spill the beans about the practices and now tell places where these cheat builders show up for potential arrest).
  9. csvfr

Yeah I'm suggesting that. Have you ever lived in a large city before? Set up a sign that says "15$ for 2 min - interview" and you will have your apology within an hour. For the hack creators its even easier, do it online on a massive scale and you might get it for 5$ per video, similar to how people fill out questionnaires and surveys. Hell you could even get virtual game currency, taste the irony in that.
  10. Demigan

Your "friend" and "cheap actor" are the same guy in this scenario.

Also it still means that the cheaters have to go through more hoops to achieve their goal, and since the character was used to cheat once you have an easier time keeping tabs on them and finding new cheats if they do it again. This is, again, a far better system than just letting them boot up a new char in 5 minutes and be back to cheating anyway without cost and without an hour of looking for an actor and recording all that.

The ways to "circumvent" the problem that you offer are still more exhaustive and expensive than just buying and booting up a new account. Cheat sites already sell "clean" accounts to players who got banned so they can keep going, and that's a lot less time-consuming and costly than hiring actors to do apologies. Meaning anyone who actually does use the apology system either lost a lot more time and money or is genuinely doing the apology.
  11. csvfr

It was only the "cheap actor" scenario I was trying to illustrate
    I don't know about that, maybe, maybe not. Perhaps it skews anti-cheat efforts to much into catching repeat offenders, letting new-char cheaters go. Not to forget the cheaters who boot up a new char and stay clean.
    But the money goes to the hack-creators. If I were one, I'd buy the vids for 5 dollars and sell them for 10, packing a profit. Perhaps sell monthly "apology insurance" policies if my pricing model was subscription based.
  12. csvfr

Based on the above business scenario, I'd propose to NOT let the hackers get those money. Instead introduce a "pay 2 unban" option, where those proven guilty of hacking can pay 5 dollar to keep playing, next time they are caught they must pay 10, then 20, 40 and so on. This would let the anti-cheat department fund itself and reduce the amount of hacking, killing two birds in one stone so to speak.
  13. Demigan

Here's a question: are you seriously going to pay money for an apology thingy after the cheat got you caught? I wouldn't trust that cheat site anymore.

As for "the money goes to the hack-creators". That depends. I seriously doubt they will start making apology video's and selling them. Why would they if they could just create a accounts for much less effort and cost and sell those? And if you did pay for an apology video, your character is going to be flagged as "cheated in the passed, keep an eye on it". So paying for those apology video's would instantly mean you don't have reasons anymore to cheat on that account unless you want a speedticket to getting banned.
  14. Twitch760

This is getting out of control. All weekend we had hackers on Emerald warping around and destroying fights. One person had a fully automatic AV Mana Turret and he insta-killed an entire armor column. Someone needs to be hired to work as GM during primetime and weekends getting rid of this trash.
  15. csvfr

If I were into cheating, got caught, and could pay a minuscule amount as an alternative to being banned - I might consider it. I would not care if the cash went directly to DBG or some third party. As the hack-creators already center their business around screwing over PS2, selling the vids does not seem unnatural either. The real question is this: would you activate your webcam and say out loud some random script for 250 DBC? Again I might consider it.

But the real issue here is that hacks become more sophisticated, and without a financial motive anti-cheat measures will remain one step behind.
  16. JobiWan

Well it's back (if it ever went). I've not experienced it personally but last night someone in my platoon on Miller said they kept suiciding for no reason.
  17. FateJH

I frequent a variety of multiplayer exploit websites trying to keep track of an obnoxious player who was the main contributor to tanking the F2P afterlife of PlanetSide Classic. Most of the aforementioned forums are either silent (esp. nowadays) or are just as puzzled as we are about what this new exploit is or how it works. Even from in-game chat no one has reported any sales pitches being made.
  18. FLHuk

I would guess the sales pitch is "visit the official forums and see the results of our work" :(
  19. FateJH

That's not a sales pitch. There's no "where to get it from" or "who to get it from." There's no video montage. At the moment, no one except the person (group) using this is guaranteed to know what's going on.
  20. FLHuk

It would appear we don't have the same web history so I defer to your greater knowledge sir.