New Empire-Specific Sniper Rifle Ideas

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by MisterSlim, Oct 26, 2014.

1. MisterSlim

So, I love the idea of each faction being vastly different from each other. I also adore the cloaker class, whether it be sniping or stalking. I'd love to hear some ideas from you guys in regards to Empire Specific Snipers (bolt action or otherwise. Be creative!)

So far, I've come up with this:

• NC: "GD-Zeus"- Fires a high-velocity, heavy, high-damage round. However, due to the weight of the projectile, it will have a much higher amount of drop. In addition, this damage can be done in two charge-up stages. Stage one will deal 'standard T3' damage, with 'standard T3' velocity. In the second stage of charge-up, it will deal additional damage, delivered at a higher velocity, something like 850 damage out to 10m, and 530 damage out to 400m, and a velocity of 775m/s. The charged round can be held for X seconds before needing to be released, otherwise it will cause electrical overcharge (a short cooldown). This rifle speaks on behalf of the "Hit 'em hard, hit 'em loud" aspect of the NC attitude.
    • TR: "M2-Medusa"- Fires several mid-velocity, mid-damage rounds at the same time due to a modified receiver and split barrels. Think "Multi Barreled SASR". In order to compensate for the wall of lead they are throwing out, they have very long reload times. In addition, they must keep their barrels cooled down in order to continue the onslaught. Allowing the barrels to overheat will result in a 'barrel swap' animation, that will take some time to complete. Picture this firing a triangle of bullets. A two-bodyshot kill could happen if all bullets hit, but missing with one or more bullets will obviously require more damage. Since it would lack typical burst-fire progressive recoil, each trigger pull would have to have high recoil to compensate. This rifle speaks on behalf of the "Problem? Throw lead at it until it goes away" aspect of the TR attitude.
    • VS: "VX-Poseidon"- Using a liquid cooled, light channeling receiver and an elongated barrel, velocities rivaling the speed of light can be achieved. This will be a charge-up mechanic. It will be able to achieve an insane velocity (900m/s?), with 770 damage out to 10m, and 510 damage out to 400m. Because of the velocity, it will have very little drop. However, the tracer left from this round will be incredibly prominent, and the weapon can only be charged and fired while ADS. The charge can be held indefinitely, but leaving ADS or being hit with a charge in progress will result in 'component damage' and cause a 'repair' animation (a cooldown). This rifle speaks on behalf of the "Well-placed, long range shots are what counts" aspect of the VS attitude.
    *Standard T3 Damage is 700 out to 10m, and 400 damage out to 400m.
    *Standard T3 velocity is 650m/s
    **The NC and VS rifles are designed to be insane damage and velocity weapons, with harsh penalties for not following their rules. Reload times for these weapons will both be quite lengthy, along with having a small mag size. Chamber times will also be quite lengthy. These other stats will compensate for their increased killing potential per shot.

Tell me what you guys think!
    • Up x 4
  2. Dramonicous

Charge up?

You go to hell! You go to hell and die!
    • Up x 1
  3. MisterSlim

Well, that's a bit rude.
    • Up x 1
  4. Neo3602

Could be interesting if done right
  5. Plague Rat

I think your concepts are definitely interesting, but I feel like you'd run into some problems with them given the current infiltrator arsenal and state of the game, specifically the rifles going for damage or velocity.

Probably the biggest issue, damage just doesn't get you anything on a BASR. It's kind of an irrelevant stat on a OHK weapon beyond determining kill ranges and we already have max render range acting as a hard cap in that department. So you just don't get any practical benefit from increasing it.

As or for velocity I'm not sure they'd ever be willing to push into the higher numbers again after the Railjack. It kind of sets a precedent when they have to put in a mechanic to directly screw with shot placement.
  6. _itg

Not to nitpick, but that's not how gravity works. :)

Overall, these are some interesting ideas, but I don't think more charge weapons would go over well if they were actually implemented. It's not about whether they're balanced. People just don't like using them in practice.

If I may suggest an alternative mechanic for one of those two rifles, I've been thinking a BASR with reverse damage dropoff would be interesting. I'm thinking of a weapon that does 500 at 0m and 1,000 damage at 270m. That's right, it can OHK non-nanoweave targets with a body shot if you're far enough away. Considering that a body shot from this distance is as hard as a headshot at closer range, it shouldn't be unfair. As a balancing factor, the rifle would have a very low RoF, long reload, and small mag (3-4 rounds).
    • Up x 2
  7. GaBeRock

True, but that is how friction works. Larger round: more air resistance: faster reduction in speed: more drop.
  8. _itg

Actually, friction is based on the shape of the round, not the weight. A heavier round will experience less reduction in speed.
    • Up x 2
  9. Petti The Yeti

I don't like the charge idea of the Poseiden, but I like the gameplay style it would promote. Maybe instead of a multi-shot magazine split with a charge time (since everyone hates those), it uses a 1 shot magazine with a reload animation. To nerf the shooting aspect as you're thinking, perhaps, because of the power of the rifle, it can't be fired until ADS'd and stabilized by crouching and holding breath.

The Medusa sounds pretty cool. Long range shotgun, essentially.
    • Up x 1
  10. MisterSlim

It was all I could come up with to balance it out, haha. The logic behind it might be weak, but since this is science fiction, I think SOE can think of an excuse xD
  11. GaBeRock

That's why I said "larger" rounds. If the round is denser, you're right, but he never specified that.
  12. _itg

It doesn't matter. If the round is the same density and same shape, the air resistance will increase with the square of the scale factor, but the mass will increase with the cube of it. This means the effect of air resistance will still decrease.

Edit: To make this a little more intuitive, imagine throwing a grain of sand as far as you can. Now imagine throwing a small rock. The rock goes farther, doesn't it?
  13. GaBeRock

I'll concede this argument, actually. I'm wrong.
  14. AgentRed

I think it would be better for the TR to have high ammo cap and dual bolts. I wouldn't want like a repeat of the TRAP worst sniper rifle in the game XD I like the other two ideas for the other factions.
  15. Neo3602

although the TRAP is really bad when used as a sniper rifle, it is pretty fun as a scout rifle, in my opinion when SOE gets around to making ES scout rifles, they should just change the TRAPs weapon type to scout rifle and give the TR a actual sniper rifle
  16. MisterSlim

I tried to base the idea for the Medusa around what the TRAP tried to achieve. It would combine the control of a semi-auto with the power of a burstfire. Able to reach out and hit at mid-range, but still controlled enough to use at other ranges.
  17. Dcrd

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  18. ArcKnight

high velocity and high drop for the same weapon............................. that doesn't make sense

how can a projectile that has high velocity have a high projectile drop ?
  19. MisterSlim

Maybe the aerodynamics of the actual bullet are worse off. Maybe it has to have a weird shape to fit in the chamber of a weird gun.
  20. vanu123

No drop and insane velocity are what I want for a VS sniper rifle.