New Conglomerate Auraxium Weapons - True Rail Guns

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Saool, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Saool

A little while ago I posted up some ideas for the Vanu Auraxium weapons. Not statistical changes, but cosmetic ones to make the two parts of the heat mechanic make sense. You can read it here: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...ons-heat-mechanic-change.204152/#post-2967950

I'd now like to look at the NC ones. Most of the Vanu weapons have the heat mechanic. This is something unique and make many of the weapons worthwhile. This idea originated in this thread https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...e-tr-auraxium-weapons-belt-fed-system.204820/.

The change

The NC Auraxium weapons become true railguns. This means the bullets are accelerated to super high speed down a magnetic rail. They are supposed to do this now, but it does not feel like it. In game terms, the weapons would have a massive bullet velocity. In effect being almost instant hit at nearly any range. With these guns if you can keep your cross hairs on the target, you hit. There is no leading. This also means they would have almost no drop.

Like many of the Vanu weapons, you would not be able to fit anything other that sights. So for example the GODSAW is a stock Gauss SAW with a massive bullet velocity, etc.

The models would need to be redone of course. Here, I have slapped the business end of a Railjack on some guns by way of example. Basic colours are used as opposed to the animated texture they would have.

EDIT: The bullets would create a clear distortion in the air as they blast through it. Like the Lancer but clear. Enough to trace them back to the gun. Or perhaps just loud, so you show up on the mini map at a slightly longer range.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thoughts?
    • Up x 7
  2. minhalexus

Nice photoshopping.
  3. Morti

Yeah, not if that crap's going to come with the same restrictions as the railjack.

That thing is awful.
    • Up x 1
  4. Killuminati C

I like the idea of railguns in theory (anything to get away from shotguns as an empire trait) but I couldn't see myself ever using a stock saw even with point and click ammo except as a single shot lmg, and slap the hv ammo on the saw and that's nearly what you're suggesting.

I did like some of the suggestions you made in your other thread though.
  5. Rovertoo

I think this would be way awesome! The drawback could be the same as the Railjack, have a short charge delay when the trigger is pressed. Honestly, the models wouldn't need to be changed, since they share the same 'coil' thing that their counterparts do (most easily seen with the Fortuna/Merc though). I certainly wouldn't reject a model change though, they look sweet!

Gosh it makes me excited, even if these ideas are never put into the game. NC get powerful Railgun Aurax weapons, TR get belt-fed monsters, and VS get neat eternal batteries and techy heat!
  6. Gemenai

The one side of me wants to grant this trait to NC as a fraction special, the other side asks me why a gun with superior damage should even made stronger by the addition of a point and click velocity.

Sure from a technical or real life point viewed it would make sense.
    From a real life point it would also made sense that everything which comes into contact with burning hot, accelerated plasma would burn melt away instantly. So we are stuck to give something which makes sense in a "gaming technical" way.

Sadly i can´t come up with a good idea myself.
    Maybe only a slight increase in velocity or a buff in velocity and decrease in ROF ( because the charge mechanism needs time to charge the magnets which accelerate the projectile), i don´t know.
  7. Flashtirade

I would rather the guns be restricted to burst-fire than have a fire delay.
  8. Rovertoo

If the weapons had a short firing delay, would that be enough of a downside gameplay wise?

Personally I think that would be the perfect solution. It would make the weapons harder to use at close quarters, less reactionary, but still be phenomenal at range. It wouldn't even need to be a large delay, like .1 or .05 seconds for it to work.
  9. Hatesphere

ditch the insta-hit, (like the models though) it just sounds like giving NC near hit scan weapons in a game like this is a bad idea. Give them the ability to pierce through up to two people so that you can line up shots on hords of enemies.
    • Up x 1
  10. eldarfalcongravtank

good-looking and unique weapons?:eek: too much work for the art department! they're busy making halloween helmets, flaming skulls and all that jazz

what next? an immersive wargame?:eek: get outta here!!
    • Up x 4
  11. Rovertoo

I like this idea too. Either one, piercing bullets, or Railjack velocities, would just be amazing.
  12. JEFCCC

I NEED THIS IN MY LIF... THE GAME
  13. Scr1nRusher

What about TR?

Make them all mini-guns?