New Carbines

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by ShotgunGuru, Apr 4, 2014.

1. NDroid

The Zenith still seems like it has no clear niche. It's outclassed in CQC by the VX6-7 while the lack of a 2x scope, high horizontal recoil and low velocity (even lower than that of the CQC carbines) make it too ineffective at mid range.

The 0.75 multiplier just isn't worth all that.
  2. asdfPanda

While I think that the new Lynx is a good weapon, as it handles close and medium ranges without problems, the old Lynx was definitely better in CQC.

Here is a post I made that sums up why it is noticeably worse, after playing with it:

It is a good sidegrade, but TR are now left without a dedicated CQC weapon. The old Lynx perfectly fit that role.

People complained that the Jaguar was too similar to the Lynx, but the Lynx was still more worthwhile to use in CQC over the Jaguar because of it's better moving hipfire as well as it's higher RPM. That higher RPM at 143 damage tier made a big difference, and the SMG-tier moving hipfire made up for the faster bloom.

I can't say I'm a fan of the new Lynx. Perhaps I'll try out the TRAC-5 Burst after I auraxium the T5 AMC(might take a while).

There is where I draw the issue. TR is left without a solely close quarters weapon. Lynx 1.0 was a CQC monster. Lynx 2.0 is more of a refined beast that does well in both close and medium ranges. However, the old Lynx was the only weapon that filled the CQC niche in the TR carbine arsenal. The TR didn't need that niche removed. Furthermore, the TR carbine arsenal didn't need another weapon suited for close-medium ranges, it had the TRAC-5, Jaguar, and others for that.
    • Up x 1
  3. Iridar51

Yeah, that bothers me too, a little. I've been saying similar things when they announced Lynx revamp - from statistical standpoint it's a nerf, that in no way addresses the issue.
    Lynx 2.0 is a good weapon, but perhaps it should've been released as a separate weapon.
    • Up x 1
  4. Posse

I might be crazy or delusional, but after a patch last afternoon, I started feeling that the horizontal recoil with the Adv Foregrip in the Zenith was much more reasonable, and with that, the weapon is definitely awesome.
  5. Iridar51

That makes two of us. I can't be 100% sure, but there seems to be a bit less recoil.
  6. Ttariel

Got the Zenith yesterday and its really nothing to special for me, only reason i really use it is the design.
    Only VS carbine that looks like one.
  7. Corezer

the zen seems meh to me.

The cougar competes nicely with the t5 for long range carbine
    The Bandit gives some much needed ranged utility and extended max damage range when compared to the cyclone (for LA)
    The zenith... well it's a nice upgrade from the solstice... maybe... but doesn't really do anything new for LA that I can't do with a vx...
  8. MuchachoBob

This is from when it was on the test server. It had diffrent stats apparently.
  9. CompletelyDeadCoyote

Oh. It explains his words then.
  10. Nakar

Um... what? The Lynx is the close quarters carbine. It was before and it is now. If you need even more CQC performance, there's shotguns and SMGs. Numbers, numbers, let's have some numbers:

FACT: The difference in DPS between Lynx 1.0 and 2.0 at maximum damage range (0-10m) is 13. At 15m the difference is 3. At 20m the difference is 8... in Lynx 2.0's favor. At 50m where Lynx 2.0 bottoms out it has ~68 DPS on the Lynx 1.0. At 60m it has 182. For all practical purposes, the Lynx 2.0 is better at doing damage at every range, especially considering its superior handling.

FACT: The Lynx 2.0 has a DPS difference of ~120 at maximum damage range vs. the GD-7F and Serpent. At 20m that drops to ~93, at 40m to ~67, and at 50m to ~15. Past 50m, the Lynx is actually doing better. And the Lynx 1.0 never did better than the GD-7F and Serpent at any range but was nearly as hard to handle past maximum damage range, giving it few advantages.

FACT: The Lynx 1.0 had a DPM of 5720, while the GD-7F/Serpent's was 4290. Lynx 2.0 has less DPM than 1.0, for sure, but that was a nerf to bring it in line with weapons in a similar role... except the Lynx 2.0's DPM is 5000, so it's still better than its competitors by a factor of almost an entire additional kill.

SPECULATION: The Lynx's moving hipfire COF was a bug, not an intended advantage. There is not one single infantry weapon in the game other than the Lynx 1.0 that doesn't have worse hipfire when moving. Not SMGs, not other carbines, nothing.

SPECULATION: The nerf to DPM was intended to bring the Lynx into the same operational sphere as the GD-7F and Serpent, which is indeed "close quarters carbine." It continues to have a mild TTK disadvantage point blank provided all shots hit, but they may not (and if any do, the Lynx is advantaged due to higher volume of fire), and in pretty much every other operational situation the Lynx does better due to better handling and higher damage throughput (better DPM, forgiving reload).

SPECULATION: You probably fight more enemies at 20-40m than you think you do. At those ranges, the new Lynx actually does better in just about every respect compared with the old Lynx.
  11. Iridar51

Is this a fact? I mean, myself I found it weird that Jaguar had better hip fire while stationary while Lynx had better hip fire while moving, this didn't seem logical, even in the twisted SoE way, and I don't remember seeing that buff to the Lynx in any of the patch notes.
    So I'd say it's possible that super tight hip CoF was a bug, but you're saying it like it's a 100% hard fact.
  12. asdfPanda

I probably do fight enemies at 20-40m. However, I'm commenting on the new and old Lynx's purely CQC performance. At less than 20m, and debatably at 40m, the old Lynx is better, because of it's damage, damage falloff, hipfire, and bloom.

In terms of CQC, the new Lynx is good. However, it is worse in CQC than the new Lynx. I'm not talking about the new Lynx's capabilities at medium range. I'm arguing purely in CQC terms.

Also, yes, the new Lynx can compete with the GD-7F and Serpent in many areas. However, the old Lynx was a better competitor in close quarters because of its higher damage per magazine and better hipfire.

I can bring in facts as well. I'll quote myself from another thread:

There you have it. While the new Lynx can do well in CQC and better at medium ranges, the old Lynx does better in CQC.

I'm not contesting the new Lynx's capabilities. It is a good weapon. The old Lynx is a better weapon in close quarters. I'm arguing that the TR lose a valuable carbine that filled the CQC niche better than any current TR weapon could.
    • Up x 1
  13. Iridar51

Sorry can't hear you over my 28 kills / 4 deaths play with TRAC 5 Burst at a tower. Inside fights mostly.

Just wanted to boast :cool:
  14. Nakar

I can't prove it wasn't intentional, that's why I marked it as speculation, but I have pretty high confidence in it. Go to the spreadsheet and check it yourself. Compare "COF Stand Hip" between "Still" and "Move." The Lynx 1.0 is the only weapon where those are the same. Similarly, if you look at "COF Crouch Hip" you'll notice there is actually a difference between "Still" and "Move." When crouching and moving, the accuracy does get worse.

The Lynx was almost certainly supposed to have a 1.5 -> 2.0 hipfire COF when moving, just like every other carbine in that hipfire category. The COF expanding by 0.5 (or more, for some ARs/LMGs/Snipers) when on the move is a consistent feature of every other gun in the game. The bug was just incidentally fixed as part of the Lynx revamp, so they didn't really mention it.

Saying they didn't catch it for a long time wouldn't necessarily prove it was intentional. Not even SMGs behave that way.
  15. Lord_Avatar

Wha...? I'm so biased towards the HS/NV scope that I barely know how to ADS without it nowadays... Woe is me.
  16. OddChelsea

I've got that bug too. Was close to submitting a ticket but then I saw it was a common issue.
  17. Nakar

Odd, I have IRNV on my Lynx. But I had it on there before the patch, so maybe that's why.
  18. Niller

VS did get new weapon sounds for a long time ago though, I think NC would be next.
  19. Hoki

Whenever people start dying to something more often, they associate it with being OP.

Like the pounders. Previously a novelty weapon, now actually kill stuff = OP. Nevermind that its identical to cosmos, since those haven't changed since those have always been good.
    • Up x 2
  20. NoctD

And the MCG no doubt - they run up right to it now and get mowed down. If only they'd treat it like a machine shotgun, and kite you from further away, they'd easily kill you.