New Carbines

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by ShotgunGuru, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Nakar

The issue for the VS is that their original-concept "long range" carbine, the Pulsar C, was arguably the only one that was actually really good at that role. The T5 AMC and AC-X11 got reconfigured to be more midrange-focused, and they're really good at those roles, but since the Pulsar C already did what it had to do well it essentially now fills both slots for the faction. That'd be a bad thing if it weren't as capable of that (as one could argue the AMC was as both the mid and long-range option for TR, hence the Cougar), but it's pretty much one of the best carbines going. The Zenith sort of helps fill in the gap a bit as it seems to be the most mid-capable of the three Jaguar-alikes.

After gap-filling and realignment, the carbine breakdown appears to be as so:
    • Generalist/Default: TRAC-5, Mercenary, Solstice. Balanced in all categories, lean on attachments.
    • Mobility: Jaguar, Bandit, Zenith. Balanced with a bias toward close-mid, good attachments, 75% ADS.
    • High Output: Lynx, GD-7F, Serpent. Extreme close-quarters alignment, workable at range with burst control.
    • Mid-Range: T5 AMC, AC-X11, Pulsar C. Lower DPS, but higher damage over distance.
    • Long-Range: Cougar, Razor, Pulsar C. High per-shot damage, minimal damage dropoff, higher velocity, extreme control, lower DPS.
    • Underbarrel Carrier/All-Rounder: TRAC-5 S, Gauss Compact S, Solstice SF. Lower DPS, vast attachment array.
    The odd man out here appears to be the VS VX6-7, which is similar to the Serpent with better hipfire and lower DPS. It used to be not unlike the Lynx in role, but the Lynx is a different weapon now as it's been pulled closer to the GD-7F/Serpent role (lost its ADS and DPM mostly, bringing it closer in line with those two). The Pulsar C also covers both categories of range and the result is a free carbine slot that the VX6-7 fills. I suppose one could try to argue for the VX6-7 as the "Mid-Range" VS carbine, but... I wouldn't put it toe to toe with the AC-X11 and AMC and say it's capable of the same things.

On the other hand one can argue that the Pulsar C is good enough at what it does that VS doesn't need a gap-filler there. It certainly has its midrange advantages over the Razor/Cougar. But otherwise I feel those are the valid points of comparison, and for the most part right now the balance between them looks good. Except maybe the Lynx, that thing is a secret monster now.
  2. Iridar51

Hush, nobody needs to know.
    • Up x 1
  3. NoctD

It gained nothing except a DPS boost at longer ranges, while losing out on its 0.75x ADS and DPM it had previously. It still can't match the Serpent/GD-7F for CQC DPS. If its a monster now, it must have been a godzilla before? And what does that make the Serpent and GD-7F exactly?
    • Up x 1
  4. Deschain

You guys know that in a month or so soe will deem these new AR's Op and swing the bat of doom, and robbing your wallets/certs lol. GD-7F will still be my go to cqc AR, hip firing faces all day, who needs ADS :).
  5. Nakar

It had much worse handling before.
  6. NoctD

It didn't - people just didn't want to learn how to use it properly. Sadly.
  7. Nakar

No, it statistically had worse handling. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a fact.
  8. NoctD

You realize a weapon's ROF also factors into its handling right? The new Lynx is hardly different from the old one. When you factor in the increased ROF, the numbers may have changed, but it doesn't equate better handling.
  9. Nakar

It traded handling issues (uncontrollable recoil factors like angle variance) for more predictable ones like bloom (which is controllable as a strict function of how many bullets are fired per burst). It doesn't pull as hard or as unpredictably. It's a great weapon and a good overhaul, but one has to accept that yes, it suffered an ADS mobility and DPM nerf, but that this was intended and probably necessary given the other perks it got. It changed roles, it did not get worse. It's just the role change necessitated some losses in other areas.
  10. Iridar51

Agreed, one high DPS and one 0.75x ADS seems per faction seems fair. I'm a bit disappointed that we still don't have anything as DPSing as Serpent or GD-7F, but oh well. The difference between them is 5% DPS anyway.
  11. Nakar

The difference also decreases over distance as the Lynx's DPS scales down more slowly than the GD-7F and Serpent. So it's 5% at the absolute maximum, and then much less out to minimum damage range (whereupon the Lynx actually has slightly higher DPS at a certain point because the ROF is higher).

The two big issues for the Lynx are ammo usage (not a problem on Engineer but possibly so on LA) and bloom (has the bloom of a 143 damage weapon but does 125 max). I don't think these are huge problems, but they're definitely what you have to watch out for.
  12. Iridar51

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 125 SMGs use the same 0.05 ADS bloom that 143 damage carbines do. Isn't that so?

I'm more concerned about damage per magazine, but I guess short reload is short enough on the Lynx not to worry about that too much, as proper LA should have a disengage route planned in case he needs to reload.
  13. Nakar

SMGs (except the Cyclone) bloom at 0.05 regardless of aim state. This makes them comparably worse at ADS (because they bloom in ADS like a 143 damage weapon) but comparably better at hipfire (because they bloom almost twice as slowly). The Lynx is more useful in ADS because it's a carbine, so it has that weakness to deal with. That, and it has a higher RPM than any SMG.
  14. Iridar51

I knew that, just thought there might something I didn't.
  15. Posse

Does anyone feel like the Adv Foregrip on the Zenith does absolutely NOTHING? The horizontal recoil feels huge even with it.
  16. Blackinvictus

Exactly. And yes I was dumb and bought it.

Feels like...an NC carbine first cousin to the Mercenary. Zero innovation or newness feel for me, the GD7F is way damn better. Oh well, enjoy my 7 bucks SOE, its my own damn fault!

Im not even going to try the other two!
  17. Iridar51

I've noticed this too when I was messing with it in VR. I wouldn't go as far as to say "does nothing", it cuts horizontal recoil by 30-50%, but there's still plenty of recoil to go around even then.
    Zenith probably has at least 0.275+ horizontal recoil maximum. Gun has very limited effective range for sure.
    Same is true for Jaguar post nerf, which brought the gun to where it should be, but Jaguar is more CQC oriented than Zenith.

Personally, I think there's a bit too much horizontal recoil on Zenith for it to be a versatile carbine. 0.35 moving accuracy CoF is a balancing factor enough.
  18. CompletelyDeadCoyote

Oh, come on! The guy completely missed the point of Bandit! It's not like Mercenary at all! Bandit has lesser min dmg range, worse velocity and worse aiming accuracy, while having soft point ammo, 0.75 moving modifier, much better hip firing accuracy and an advanced laser sight. It's like an SMG with worse cq-power and better long range power. Prety apecific and unique gun and completely not just a copy of something.
  19. Corezer

Yup, I would have been much happier with a 200dmg/520ish rpm gun than trying to speed up fire rates like a bunch of TR wannabe losers.

if the .75 ads and SPA went on the ACX-11 it would have been epic! NOTHING says freedom like cutting through a heavy's resist shield as you drill his sausage sucker up close!
  20. Deschain

^^
    Exactly they could have just updated the ACX-11 and it would have been in keeping with the faction style, ooh wait we're all being normalised..