New Anchor mode: It sucks.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Demigan, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Demigan

I just tried out the new Prowler Anchor mode, and frankly it kind of sucks.

The 20% damage reduction from the front is nice, it might even be a bit OP in the right long-range combat circumstances. But that shield in front of the Prowler is not going to help much in it's current iteration.

The shield according to the patch notes is to protect infantry. The problem is that when you deploy your anchor mode there's unlikely to be any infantry nearby that can benefit from the stationary shield.

Then there's the shield's size. It's absolutely humongous, sticking out over the tank and it's sides. Effectively the shield makes the Prowler's hitbox 3x larger (and that's a low-ball estimate). Additionally the shield sticks out on the sides of the tank but does not protect the tank. From the front you get 20% damage reduction (at max rank) but not from the sides, but your sides are still massively large hitboxes because the shield still arcs to that direction.

If this shield is going to be any use, it would have to have it's own healthpool or the Prowler needs to be able to activate it and move around with it to protect allied infantry and vehicles when he wants or needs to. Otherwise the ability seems pretty useless.

Give the current iteration of shield to Sunderers, they can actually use it in many circumstances to simultaneously protect it's own infantry, reduce some damage but at the cost of being more visible and allowing enemy vehicles and infantry through. This would actually have a purpose, a risk/reward factor that you can use. But on the Prowler shield as it is? Scrap it or change it! And yes I know that would make the Vanguard comparatively worse but I hope that these tanks will simply be updated to be each other's equal and regardless they should be fun and functional to play and use!
    • Up x 2
  2. Dargadon

Another potentialy good idea with totally balancewise bonked shortsighted implementation. You can also hit Barrier from behind, at certain angles, for bonus "back" damage.
    To be at least useful it should either have more armor (like 50% and higher), own HP pool as you noted or just be reverted back to previous Rampart Shield iteration.
    • Up x 1
  3. AlcyoneSerene

No clue how this concept was even thought out.

Infantry hides on the rear corners or on the sides of Prowlers and Vanguards, and sometimes underneath Magriders.
    Infantry won't chase an MBT built for speed to sit behind a shield that can be destroyed or removed instantly as the MBT speeds away leaving them roadkill or exposed, or the Prowler trapped by them in front and sides with increased hitbox.
  4. k9delta

Perhaps if we add a new slot for one more person (just with that ability) it could become competitive
  5. steelslinga

it's junk , i removed it after 15 mins...it's just a cert burner, had it maxed at rank 4. it's another DBG "here you go TR try this!"
    it gives our tanks false hope in being able to go up against other MBT's. as usual TR gets shafted, with more cardboard gear from DBG.
  6. Axe_Forge

they should make it where have you faced The Turret projects the Shield and also if you've seen the front of the Prowler Turret nice big empty slot
    [IMG]
  7. Liewec123

i've actually warmed up to the new anchor mode, i have it maxed out and so far it has been GREAT at keeping sunderers alive!
    [IMG]
    the deployed repair sundy is nice and safe and the constant repair makes the prowler super tanky,
    the spitfire turrets are also safe from damage :)

[IMG]
    the shield also covers the entire left to right of sunderer garages keeping your sunderer safe from getting ganked by tanks and harassers :D
    • Up x 1